• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dual-Pol Radar

What local concerns justify stations in the Pac NW getting dual polarization ahead of other stations where p-type might be a more significant concern?

Don't want to take adjascent radar sites down. So it's scattered, anyway summer is a good time for the PACNW little or no action.

Will this have an impact on what radars look like off the NWS site? I'm trying to figure out what difference will be seen once the upgrade is completed. Are they adding new radar sites or are they upgrading the current sites?

The dual-polarization upgrades are only to existing sites, and for the time being the actual NWS sites aren't changing. I don't know if/when the products will be available on the normal radar page.

Is there any way to get Dual Pol data through GR3?

Then again, I probably wouldn't even know dual-pol data if I was looking at it. I mean is it visually any different?

There are entirely new products rather than just Z, Spectrum Width, and Velocity. However the legacy products will be identical (and if you've looked at Moorehead City or Phoenix recently you have, in fact, but viewing dual-pol data ;) ). And I dont' know about in GR3 but I've heard secondhand that there is some sort of an upgrade or plug-in available for purchase to view Dual-Pol data with.

000NOUS61 KPBZ 061246FTMPBZMessage Date: Jul 06 2011 12:46:29THE WSR 88D AT PITTSBURGH...KPBZ...WILL BE OUT OF SERVICE FOR THE DUAL-POL UPGRADE UNTIL 18 JULY 2011000NOUS63

KICT 071919 CCAFTMICTMESSAGE DATE: JUL 06 2011 14:06:44KICT RADAR WILL BE DOWN FOR DUAL POL UPGRADE FROM TUESDAY JULY 5TH2011 THROUGH SUNDAY JULY 17TH 2011.JDH

Pittsburgh and Wichita are currently getting the upgrade.

Will this have an impact on what radars look like off the NWS site? I'm trying to figure out what difference will be seen once the upgrade is completed. Are they adding new radar sites or are they upgrading the current sites?

I doubt Dual Pol products will be available in the near term to the public since they require a different interpretation and piecing together of data that is not required with the Base/RPG products. However, with the NWS trying to get more and more information on the websites these days, I could see a general description page accompanying a couple of the Dual Pol products. Especially the more intuitive products like Specific Differential Phase (KDP).

We were supposed to get the radar upgrade last month, but that has been delayed until about next Spring.

We've been pushed to back to 2013. lol. By that time our training will be over 2 years old and we'll have to do it again. Awesome.

It's not surprising. Look how long it took to get AWIPS90 implemented. I wasn't in the NWS then, but 1990 was the year it was to become operational. lolz.

True as I have heard (I was not in the NWS then) about the length of time it took to get AWIPS implemented. I saw pictures of the AFOS units. Those were large machines. Hopefully with the delayed dual-pol installations, any issues will be worked out before we get our upgrade. ;)

True as I have heard (I was not in the NWS then) about the length of time it took to get AWIPS implemented. I saw pictures of the AFOS units. Those were large machines. Hopefully with the delayed dual-pol installations, any issues will be worked out before we get our upgrade. ;)

:lol:

Is there any way to get Dual Pol data through GR3?

Then again, I probably wouldn't even know dual-pol data if I was looking at it. I mean is it visually any different?

NOAA has a very good training site for Dual Pol. http://www.wdtb.noaa...ourses/dualpol/ I highly recommend it. I'm not sure if GR3 has DP. GR2A does, but it costs extra. Storm Lab Supercharged includes DP at no extra cost. Hope this helps.

Archived