• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

Glad to see you guys cashed in a bit on this LES event. 5.3" cumulative up here...very enjoyable since I'd never get more than flurries from the lake when I lived in Saugerties. You folks in the Lower HV actually do better (on those rare occasions) than the Mid HV. I attribute that to the fact that you don't have the highest Catskills acting as a wall just to the west. From north of SWF to about Catskill/Hudson the mountains dry almost all of it up.

Hey guys :) Finally found my way over here.

Yesterday morning was fun eh! I got about a half inch in just a few minutes and the roads went to ****. Of course I had the winter tires all ready to go on the car but couldn't find the right lug nuts for those wheels so I went slip sliding away to work. Managed to steer through a bunch of spinouts on Rt 6 on the way out. Welcome to another HV winter!

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to see you guys cashed in a bit on this LES event. 5.3" cumulative up here...very enjoyable since I'd never get more than flurries from the lake when I lived in Saugerties. You folks in the Lower HV actually do better (on those rare occasions) than the Mid HV. I attribute that to the fact that you don't have the highest Catskills acting as a wall just to the west. From north of SWF to about Catskill/Hudson the mountains dry almost all of it up.

Whenever we have some sort of NW flow our potential LE snows dry up around the Sullivan/Ulster county border.. If im not mistaken majority of the 4k peaks of the Catskills are located there.. ie. Slide Mtn..

The Catskills high peaks (meaning 3500'+) begin in central/western Ulster County...slightly below the latitude of Kingston for reference. They taper down a lot below Peekamoose and that southwest corner of Ulster County (IE where 52 crosses) is just hilly. Bigger mountains ...draw a line from New Paltz (in the HV) to Liberty and it's all north of that line.

Of course you also have the Shawangunk Ridge which stands in the way....

Whenever we have some sort of NW flow our potential LE snows dry up around the Sullivan/Ulster county border.. If im not mistaken majority of the 4k peaks of the Catskills are located there.. ie. Slide Mtn..

The Catskills high peaks (meaning 3500'+) begin in central/western Ulster County...slightly below the latitude of Kingston for reference. They taper down a lot below Peekamoose and that southwest corner of Ulster County (IE where 52 crosses) is just hilly. Bigger mountains ...draw a line from New Paltz (in the HV) to Liberty and it's all north of that line.

I assumned when you menyioned the lower Hudson Valley you meant south of Orange/Dutchess counties. I would considered my end of the Hudson Valley the lower end of the Mid-Hudson if that makes any sense.

I assumned when you menyioned the lower Hudson Valley you meant south of Orange/Dutchess counties. I would considered my end of the Hudson Valley the lower end of the Mid-Hudson if that makes any sense.

I agree.. Most ppl in the area consider Orange part of the Mid-Hudson Valley.. You probably have to go down towards Rockland & lower Westchester for it to be considered Lower Hudson Valley..

Yeah most of that area has some decent elevation. NW Ulster I would think holds the majority of the high peaks of the Catskills... The Shawangunk Ridge on the other hand is right on my doorstep... Literally 2 miles or so to my west. Elevations dramatically increase once you hit Otisville and going towards Ellenville. Most of the ridge in Orange county doesnt get above 1500' but once you cross into SW Ulster you can reach 2200-2400' in a hurry.. ie. Cragsmoor

15F imby this morning.

What's your elevation there?

We'll see if I get that low but it should be the lowest of the season for sure. For whatever reason raditonal cooling is hit or miss IMBY. It seems like I tend to stay a bit warmer but there have been a few instances when I radiated very well and wound up colder. I haven't been able to figure out the reasoning but I sometimes wonder if my weather station location is a factor as it sits on a little hill in the yard with a 4-6 foot drop off on three sides. Anyone else think that this could be a factor?

We'll see if I get that low but it should be the lowest of the season for sure. For whatever reason raditonal cooling is hit or miss IMBY. It seems like I tend to stay a bit warmer but there have been a few instances when I radiated very well and wound up colder. I haven't been able to figure out the reasoning but I sometimes wonder if my weather station location is a factor as it sits on a little hill in the yard with a 4-6 foot drop off on three sides. Anyone else think that this could be a factor?

480ft

Rad cooling would have more to do with atmospheric conditions (cloud cover, wind, decoupling) then a small variation in your station location I would think. For example last night by me was cloudless and no wind perfect setup while some guys in Jersey had clouds and some snowflakes last night.

480ft

Rad cooling would have more to do with atmospheric conditions (cloud cover, wind, decoupling) then a small variation in your station location I would think. For example last night by me was cloudless and no wind perfect setup while some guys in Jersey had clouds and some snowflakes last night.

True I guess I misspoke a bit, I was thinking more in terms of cold air drainage, forested areas, that sort of thing. This isn't the best image but I don't have much time at the moment.

y7223e1b.jpg

True I guess I misspoke a bit, I was thinking more in terms of cold air drainage, forested areas, that sort of thing. This isn't the best image but I don't have much time at the moment.

y7223e1b.jpg

Rob elaborate more when you have the time, might be a good discussion. Thae picture kinda describes my locate, I'm on the east side of some hills.

Down to 19 right now, which I believe is my lowest thus far this season.

Check that, I guess I needed more coffee this morning, I see that my low was 17 or 16.8 for those who go to the tenth. :arrowhead:

Rob elaborate more when you have the time, might be a good discussion. Thae picture kinda describes my locate, I'm on the east side of some hills.

Oh, I don't know if I'm smart enough to explain it much more but I've wondered if I fall in the warmer porion of that image too.

I wonder if living near the golf course makes a difference. If you have a breeze there due to the open area, there is no area for the cold to air to pool since it will settle in low lying areas. For instance, KSWF is at 581 ft. IMBY, I'm at 125 ft. in Butterhill along the Moodna creek bed shelterd from the wind. I can be a couple of degrees colder than KSWF. It could be just a slight breeze that makes a factor. Just my thoughts. My forcast low is 11 for tonite, currently at 19.1.

Some kind of feud among the powers that be..... Marcus pulled it down in a tiff with the others. Obviously plans had been afoot though because they had this new board up in very short order.

Glad you made it here.... think we first crossed paths in the 90's on these boards and IRC. :) ..back when I was in Saugerties....

-1F here now in Knox. :snowman:

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm here!

What happened to the old board?

Some kind of feud among the powers that be..... Marcus pulled it down in a tiff with the others. Obviously plans had been afoot though because they had this new board up in very short order.

Glad you made it here.... think we first crossed paths in the 90's on these boards and IRC. :) ..back when I was in Saugerties....

-1F here now in Knox. :snowman:

Logannnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!

I was typing "Logan11 Weather" & similar patterns into google trying to find where people moved to after seeing the easternuswx board down.

It's amazing that we've been on the different variants of these weather chats since the 90's. I sure hope time starts slowing down soon.

-1 in Knox? holy cow. It's a beautiful 12 in Saugerties & outside my window in the Town of Newburgh near the 84/87 Intersection.

Great seeing you here!

More folks will probably arrive during the first snowstorm.

Archived