• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
AccuWx Fabricated Weather Stats for Downed Weather Station

Friend of mine posted the below article on Facebook. Apparently a Death Valley weather station was down for a few weeks. Accuweather thought instead of listing obs as missing or N/A, they'd just make them up.

http://m.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/08/death-valley-weather-stats-were-fabricated/

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with them estimating daily obs if they clearly denoted the stats were estimates. But just estimating obs and passing them off as official isn't right in my book.

Back to AccuWx...

Instead of listing N/A, or not available, for Death Valley, AccuWeather listed a ballpark figure, set arbitrarily as one degree below the state high.

“We usually estimate to the best of our ability, unless told otherwise by our client,” said Jim Piro, a meteorologist with AccuWeather. “We knew Death Valley was probably the nation’s high or close to the high, but we didn’t have confirmation.”

To many weather scientists and purists, guessing at the previous day’s temperature at a site is a huge no-no. Ivory Small, science officer at the National Weather Service’s office in Rancho Bernardo, said when the numbers are unknown or uncertain, an “M” for missing or “N/A” should be used.

“Otherwise, you’re falsifying data,” he said.

Heads should roll...

This highlights a key problem with mixing the private sector with science. The private sector has one goal, and that's making money. Scientific integrity is a secondary concern.

Yeah thats a given...but for some reason I highly doubt anyone doing a research paper or case study, etc looks to Accuwx for climate data. Just a guess.

Speaking of for profit weather service, I compare the HGX NWS forecasts informally against the TWC local on the 8s, and our local NWS forecasters who live in the area and specialize in our weather beat some guy or woman in a cubicle in Atlanta forecasting for several states easily.

TWC is especially bad in nowcast situations.

Our local non-met weather readers on the ABC affiliate pay for AccuWx, and they could hand wave in front of a green screen, parrot the AFD, and mimic the NWS forecast and save whatever money they send to State College.

This highlights a key problem with mixing the private sector with science. The private sector has one goal, and that's making money. Scientific integrity is a secondary concern.

competition is good for everyone

No more politics.

100% agree.

I should have let my AccuWx subscription lapse when I renewed it half a year ago, but 6 hour Euro data (even forecast skew-Ts) for a whole plethora of stuff, well, it was kind of cool during the winter.

And JB was less weather and more global warming rants the last year or so. I almost stopped watching him completely before he left. When he used to talk teleconnections, indices, good stuff. BTW, JB could generally spot potential tropical trouble a week or more away, but his short range forecasting (Rita comes to mind) leaves something to be desired. And Henry M. has the charisma of a geranium.

No more politics.

Thank you.

The object of debate is to support a viewpoint with sufficient proof, but when dealing with political viewpoints, there typically isn't such a thing as "sufficient" proof because the views are subjective and deeply personal. Nothing is ever gained, but much is usually lost.in a political debate.

Intelligent people debating politics is like playing Angry Birds on a Cray: it's a horrible misuse of valuable resources.

Back on topic, charging for obs not taken is fraud, and AccuWx should refund whatever they were charging during the period, minimum.

That would seem to be potentially criminal.

People pay for that?

I'm in the wrong business.

I cheerfully pay income taxes for the NWS, cruise missiles, and the Veteran's Administration.

Besides, doesn't ASOS do most of the work for you now anyway.

No I meant extra. People pay extra out of their free money (non-taxed, un-billed money) for that?

The FAA does all the work for us now, btw. Well, except the constant maintenance.

Archived