• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Speaking of bugs

Mr Bob

I have yet to notice a single mosquito so far...they were out with a vengeance last year and started in late April IIRC...

I just got back from a friends house in the hills of Rutherford County, NC...he's on a hill surrounded by huge trees, and english ivy everywhere, the mosquitos were in full force. Came back to my place, and I can say I have never, ever had a problem with them where I'm at. They def. love Ivy, and dense trees and wet grounds.

Probably one reason for the lack of the mosquitoes is due to how incredibly dry it's been in most of the southeast. I get the feeling this summer could be similar to 2007 in terms of dryness and heat. I hope the TWC is wrong, they say it will be 90-95 here every day the next week with no rain. Average high is 82 !! Maybe this will be one of those summers where we have the hottest weather in June and then July and August are cooler. At least we can hope. I wonder if the La Nina is playing a role in this unusually warm weather ?

Probably one reason for the lack of the mosquitoes is due to how incredibly dry it's been in most of the southeast. I get the feeling this summer could be similar to 2007 in terms of dryness and heat. I hope the TWC is wrong, they say it will be 90-95 here every day the next week with no rain. Average high is 82 !! Maybe this will be one of those summers where we have the hottest weather in June and then July and August are cooler. At least we can hope. I wonder if the La Nina is playing a role in this unusually warm weather ?

chances are we won't approach 2007, it was the all time record in many spots in the Southeast for dryness. I was just about 30" below normal, just about the driest spot I could find in the Southeast, but everyone had it rough. Even if June and July don't deliver any rain, odds are fairly high that tropical activity this year will deliver later one. I for one think think most of the Southeast will end up OK in the rain, but the driest spots in the gulf coast, eastern Alabama and eastern NC are a question mark....it depends on how the tropics play out.

chances are we won't approach 2007, it was the all time record in many spots in the Southeast for dryness. I was just about 30" below normal, just about the driest spot I could find in the Southeast, but everyone had it rough. Even if June and July don't deliver any rain, odds are fairly high that tropical activity this year will deliver later one. I for one think think most of the Southeast will end up OK in the rain, but the driest spots in the gulf coast, eastern Alabama and eastern NC are a question mark....it depends on how the tropics play out.

God I hope you're right. I wish we could have another summer like we had in 2003. I think we had maybe 2 or 3 days all summer of 90+. I just hope we don't have 90 days of 90+ like we had last summer, not to mention the worst humidity i've ever experienced. It would be nice to have a normal summer for a change.

God I hope you're right. I wish we could have another summer like we had in 2003. I think we had maybe 2 or 3 days all summer of 90+. I just hope we don't have 90 days of 90+ like we had last summer, not to mention the worst humidity i've ever experienced. It would be nice to have a normal summer for a change.

I for one like the 90+ days good pool/beach weather :thumbsup:

Yep, I've been remarking to myself how few times I've had to get soaked up in Off this season. Late in the evening I'll get bit on occasion, but nothing like normal. I guess it is the lack of standing water due to the lack of falling water, and the beastly heat that evaporates what little has fallen. T

They have been biting for weeks around hour area. Mandatory spray down when going outside at night to tend the animals. My wife and child can get bit just looking at one :)

I just got back from a friends house in the hills of Rutherford County, NC...he's on a hill surrounded by huge trees, and english ivy everywhere, the mosquitos were in full force. Came back to my place, and I can say I have never, ever had a problem with them where I'm at. They def. love Ivy, and dense trees and wet grounds.

Went fishing yesterday morning down on the pamlico river. The place we launched the boat is in a very low lying area with canals and swamp landand the mosquitos were horrible. At first I thought I was being attacked by a flock of birds. Back here at the house there are none to be seen. Its very dry here and you have to go into the deep woods to have them bother you right now.

Are they the tiny little black ones with the big fat wings? if they are then yes there out. Do they bite? cause these little guys don't seem to be interested in biting,Up home we had what we called a woods fly that always was a pest esp when riding horses they were like a brownish color. Ya gotta bear with me i'm a still learning all the little creatures down here I met Mr fire ant the other week what a prick he is !! lol

are the deer flies out yet?

Are they the tiny little black ones with the big fat wings? if they are then yes there out. Do they bite? cause these little guys don't seem to be interested in biting,Up home we had what we called a woods fly that always was a pest esp when riding horses they were like a brownish color. Ya gotta bear with me i'm a still learning all the little creatures down here I met Mr fire ant the other week what a prick he is !! lol

:lol: :lol: Welcome to the south :wub:

Thank you thank you , glad to be here ,, those little sh*ts carry quite a punch to there bite it was like 10 bites around my ankle and man I'll tell ya been bit by alot of stuff before but those lil guys have there own brand of bite unlike anything else i've felt before....

:lol: :lol: Welcome to the south :wub:

I live on an ancient sand dune, mosquitos arent the issue, its fire ants

I've been buying this stuff from lowes the last two years and its a great product that removes the ants year round. Its a granular that i put out with my spreader and you won't see anymore fireants but it takes a week or two to fully work.

Yeah i'm gonna have to do something before they to far out of hand. On a side note great light show to the south going on right now lots of lightning ..

I've been buying this stuff from lowes the last two years and its a great product that removes the ants year round. Its a granular that i put out with my spreader and you won't see anymore fireants but it takes a week or two to fully work.

Archived