Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential significant severe weather Wednesday

earthlight

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you thinking this is a significant tornado threat?

Nah man I haven't really given much hope to that, especially given its a cold frontal passage. Was more looking for a nice squall line with shear being more unidirectional...Of course that can still lead to your spinups along the leading edge..Now If we do see winds more southerly and we get some discrete development along a prefrontal trough, then perhaps it can get more interesting in that regard? We'll see man, but I'm satisfied to be tracking a legit severe threat. Also, I don't claim to be a severe weather expert as I'm still learning and my weather interest is based out of winter storms, but an EML potential does get me excited

I guess we never really have a "significant tornado threat," but this seems to be about the closest possible. If the low pressure tracked further south, I'd be more concerned about tornadoes.

Should I bring my container gardens into the garage on Wednesday, or is that overkill?

ok heres the deal. We have a cold front moving thru with an EML. **IF**, we had a strong sfc Lo or frontal wave, moving by from say, OH to new england, dragging a CF thru the ara, then the helicity would be huge and i would say game on for TORs, at least a sig threat. We dont have that here. Sure, an iso TOR is possible, but under the situation i mentioned above, that would be absolutely ideal for TORs around here. We dont have that, so it will be hit or miss IMO.

Nah man I haven't really given much hope to that, especially given its a cold frontal passage. Was more looking for a nice squall line with shear being more unidirectional...Of course that can still lead to your spinups along the leading edge..Now If we do see winds more southerly and we get some discrete development along a prefrontal trough, then perhaps it can get more interesting in that regard? We'll see man, but I'm satisfied to be tracking a legit severe threat. Also, I don't claim to be a severe weather expert as I'm still learning and my weather interest is based out of winter storms, but an EML potential does get me excited

Agree totally. A forced convective line is more likely on this setup .

Always good reason to be skeptical around here :lol:

I'm certainly skeptical as well...at least when it comes to the potential for a widespread outbreak. I think we definitely will see severe wx on Wednesday it's just a question of how widespread of an event will it be?

I'm also intrigued by the supercell potential, especially up this way b/c some of the hodos are quite impressive so if we see any supercells fire they could become interesting very quickly.

The flow aloft is fairly unidirectional but the lowest 3-4km of the atmosphere exhibits a good deal of turning so we could see something where the storm mode early on is supercells with them quickly forming a line, or we see a line develop with supercells out ahead of it.

I think it will also depend if it's the pre-frontal trough that's more active or the cold front.

Lol this is very true. It wasn't too long ago (last June?) that we saw a moderate risk, 45% wind threat turn out a completeeeee bust. I recall that seemed to hold a much greater tornado potential than we are used to seeing as well, but yeah..

Lol this is very true. It wasn't too long ago (last June?) that we saw a moderate risk, 45% wind threat turn out a completeeeee bust. I recall that seemed to hold a much greater tornado potential than we are used to seeing as well, but yeah..

Yeah last June 6th...hell, they were even talking about the possibility of strong tornadoes...some thought we might even see a PDS Tornado Watch...or at least some discussed it.

That day was SCREWED by ML lapse rates and I believe sfc winds/low-level winds veered some which mixed out dewpoints a bit and LCL's raised.

We had morning crap and the latent heat really destroyed the lapse rates...they started off around 6-6.5 C/KM then ended up just over 5.5 C/KM :arrowhead:

ok heres the deal. We have a cold front moving thru with an EML. **IF**, we had a strong sfc Lo or frontal wave, moving by from say, OH to new england, dragging a CF thru the ara, then the helicity would be huge and i would say game on for TORs, at least a sig threat. We dont have that here. Sure, an iso TOR is possible, but under the situation i mentioned above, that would be absolutely ideal for TORs around here. We dont have that, so it will be hit or miss IMO.

And then of course we'd have to deal with a southeast wind off the water at the surface around these parts...immensely difficult to get that legit tornado threat over here for sure.

Yeah last June 6th...hell, they were even talking about the possibility of strong tornadoes...some thought we might even see a PDS Tornado Watch...or at least some discussed it.

That day was SCREWED by ML lapse rates and I believe sfc winds/low-level winds veered some which mixed out dewpoints a bit and LCL's raised.

We had morning crap and the latent heat really destroyed the lapse rates...they started off around 6-6.5 C/KM then ended up just over 5.5 C/KM :arrowhead:

Yup, remember that well. I definitely got burned pretty good on that one lol

Yup, remember that well. I definitely got burned pretty good on that one lol

I saw a funnel cloud but didn't get a pic :arrowhead:

It actually turned out I also caught a funnel cloud the day before as well and never knew it until several months later.

My friend and I went to Windsor Locks, CT both days...on the Saturday 6/5 event we actually watched the microburst come in...was sick stuff...we got video. My friend watched the video a few months later again and noticed something that looked like a funnel...or a developing one...I sent the video to someone here and he looked at it and said it did look like a developing funnel.

The 6/6 was a huge letdown though...was so hoping to see great stuff.

i like the FROPA timing

i have seen many events where the front was still in W PA at 21z and all we got was a dying squall line at 9 pm

wednesday, it looks like the front is on our doorstep by 21z and passes around 0z

fcap42.gif

i like the FROPA timing

i have seen many events where the front was still in W PA at 21z and all we got was a dying squall line at 9 pm

wednesday, it looks like the front is on our doorstep by 21z and passes around 0z

fcap42.gif

Forky if the line makes it to the coast u think coastal jersey long island and conneticut could get into some intense severe weather tommorow afternoon? The way you explained it sounded like it would be intense still as it reached our area correct?

Classic moderate risk day with severe wind being the primary threat at 45% prob. 30% hail and 5% tornado risk.

Should be a nice squall line that will advance SE from the Poconos and Upstate.

The only thing I worry about is multi cell development out ahead of the main line. Sure we could get some nice severe weather in a discrete cluster but it could ruin the main show if that occurs.

I don't like the fact that the both 00z high res models came in completely dry for us. I don't put too much stock in them but they did a pretty good job last week with keeping us for the most part dry even after the HRRR started showing good development over NJ which never verified.

The only thing I worry about is multi cell development out ahead of the main line. Sure we could get some nice severe weather in a discrete cluster but it could ruin the main show if that occurs.

This is what the EML is for...it prevents convection until the cape is maximized underneath the cap.

So far it still does look very good but Upton does have on valid concern that marine air could come into play and the winds will come from the south which is better than southeast but you want for LI and a coastal CT Southwest a good severe threat in that area. I still expect a cluster of thunderstorms with some strong to severe to hit most of the area hopefully maintaining their strength when they hit the coast.

This is a very high 12 hr prob for severe criteria thunderstorms...I think we'll see the 30% adjusted a bit southward in the next outlook and I wouldn't be surprised if some sig/hatching is added.

SREF_12HR_SVR_PROBS__f039.gif

Earthlight my biggest concern is me being on the coast and if these storms start getting intense and severe will the storms hold there strength as they reach the coastal areas (L.I., coastal jersey etc.) I've seen storms rock just inland but as soon as they reach the coast they just die and become a garden variety storm instead

Earthlight my biggest concern is me being on the coast and if these storms start getting intense and severe will the storms hold there strength as they reach the coastal areas (L.I., coastal jersey etc.) I've seen storms rock just inland but as soon as they reach the coast they just die and become a garden variety storm instead

The better chance of severe is over interior NJ and Upstate NY where a moderate risk will likely exist. With that being said the city and LI should remain slight risked with slightly lower probs. LI and severe just don't mix we'll together historically, everything needs to be perfect.

Tomorrow's severe chances are likely to get a bit closer to the coast than usual. There are a few reasons for this. For one--the shortwave trough is well to our northwest over Southeast Canada. The height falls and a weak mid level disturbance are helping to kick off the convection. This means we can have more of a westerly and southwesterly surface flow thanks to the mid level height orientation. If the trough were further south or more on top of us, the surface winds would back to a more south or southeast direction ahead of a stronger surface front.

I agree that tomorrow is the first candidate for a moderate risk from western New England to eastern PA...including NYC...

I love the veering profiles amongst the EML and 40 knot mid level flow with the nicely timed FROPA.

Classic Northeast severe weather outbreak!

I agree that tomorrow is the first candidate for a moderate risk from western New England to eastern PA...including NYC...

I love the veering profiles amongst the EML and 40 knot mid level flow with the nicely timed FROPA.

Classic Northeast severe weather outbreak!

If your on board, i'm excited!

The thing that may potentially kill tomorrow south of New England may be the anticyclonic shear/general NVA with the orientation of the trough/ridge. A lot of areas may just stay capped, even with the prefrontal trough. This may not be a bad thing, because if the convection waits for the better winds to arrive and forcing, then it will likely be more severe. There is also the issue with the morning MCS potential and leftover cloud debris. However, with the first point, I think the general descent behind this feature will thin out the clouds and allow for heating. Some of these soundings are downright awesome, especially north of the area.

Once something gets going in the Mid Atlantic, it will set off a chain reaction. So if something orographic happens with the prefrontal trough, that may be enough to form a cold pool that races to the coast.

The thing that may potentially kill tomorrow south of New England may be the anticyclonic shear/general NVA with the orientation of the trough/ridge. A lot of areas may just stay capped, even with the prefrontal trough. This may not be a bad thing, because if the convection waits for the better winds to arrive and forcing, then it will likely be more severe. There is also the issue with the morning MCS potential and leftover cloud debris. However, with the first point, I think the general descent behind this feature will thin out the clouds and allow for heating. Some of these soundings are downright awesome, especially north of the area.

Once something gets going in the Mid Atlantic, it will set off a chain reaction. So if something orographic happens with the prefrontal trough, that may be enough to form a cold pool that races to the coast.

So what your saying is that away from the coastal areas severe weather is likely but near or on the coast there is still the possibility of this being a case where the storms die when they hit the marine air correct? I'm still trying to grasp the severe weather parameters for our area

Archived