• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chasecation!

There obviously was a tornado.. 3 separate reports between spotter network and the public. You didn't see anything out your back window as you were running?

Nah, I think it was just one clueless dude spamming SN with bad reports. The locations didn't make any sense, given radar data. If I had to guess, the "public report" mentioned in the warning was simply referring to those SN reports, too.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your storm is kicked. Turn around and take some lightning shots...should be crazy continuous. Probably lots of small hail too.

We are headed out.. Backtracked across the path to see if any sign of it. I dunno... We may have been too close initially. Oh well.

We are headed out.. Backtracked across the path to see if any sign of it. I dunno... We may have been too close initially. Oh well.

Stuff to your west still has a few couplets here and there...keep an eye out if you're still in the area.

Stuff to your west still has a few couplets here and there...keep an eye out if you're still in the area.

Yeah we are watching. May beat it back to the hotel. Can't be much more dangerous than earlier. ;)

nice...baptism by fire. Did you crap yourself? Be honest.

I was a bit nervous a few times. Jason knows his stuff with driving... And we turned around when it might have been passing in front of us. Wish it happened a few hours earlier.. Still cool tho. We stopped briefly to try to get lightning with the mcs but sky is really messy.

I was a bit nervous a few times. Jason knows his stuff with driving... And we turned around when it might have been passing in front of us. Wish it happened a few hours earlier.. Still cool tho. We stopped briefly to try to get lightning with the mcs but sky is really messy.

I'd consider this a successful chase...you got on one of the best storms of the day (if not the best storm of the day). Just so happened that the waning daylight worked against you and the fact that it was probably rain-wrapped. I'm not sure what to think of the tor reports that I did see from that storm. Overall, I'm happy that the Philip-Rapid city target area worked out.

I'd consider this a successful chase...you got on one of the best storms of the day (if not the best storm of the day). Just so happened that the waning daylight worked against you and the fact that it was probably rain-wrapped. I'm not sure what to think of the tor reports that I did see from that storm. Overall, I'm happy that the Philip-Rapid city target area worked out.

Yeah it was successful for sure. I saw cloud motion I've not seen before. Good call on your part re Philip. You gotta help us get a tornado Wed now.

Yeah it was successful for sure. I saw cloud motion I've not seen before. Good call on your part re Philip. You gotta help us get a tornado Wed now.

Wed should be fun. Chaser convergence galore, I'm sure...but you'll be impressed with the storms.

The mod risk may be a touch too far West looking at the GFS. I'd say closer to I-35. GFS soundings, pedestrian helicity, good but not amazing CAPE along I-35 Southern Kansas to N Central Texas, but low LCLs on 42 hour (1 pm) soundings, with 48 hour forecast soundings rain contaminated.

NAM looks weird to me.

0300 SREF ARW members seems to like West of I-35 into I-35 corridor, Texas and Oklahoma preferred, by late afternoon.

Me, personally, I'd stop tonight somewhere near/West of OKC for tomorrow's activity

Here's the tornado. I dunno how we missed it.. We were right on it.

http://www.scenicpho...11/20110509.htm

Well I'll be damned. It looks like that must've been from the occluded mesocyclone at the western edge of the updraft, at a time when radar indicated the newer, eastern mesocyclone was the one to watch. I hate it when that happens... sort of screwed me over one day last year, though I at least caught the end of what I was starting to miss by not watching the old meso.

That sucks pretty hard, but I think you guys just got unlucky. Most other chasers would've been where you were, but they didn't want to battle the mud roads after dark, so they sat on the highway to watch the storm "move away" and ended up lucking out.

Maybe nctrl KS into extreme sctrl NE tomorrow? Seems like there are a couple of areas. The one area I previously mentioned which looks like it has a good combo of shear and even some upslope flow, and another area down by OK and adjacent TX. That area might not have as much shear, but looks like it will have a ton of CAPE to work with and a good cap.

Just looking at the SREFs on the PSU site from 1500Z, ARW seems to like I-35 Kansas to North Texas, mean Craven-Brooks over 40,000 along the I-35 corridor, and there is a max liking SigTor 3 or better just West of Tulsa.

Still seems like ~Wichita, a check of the models, and an early start, would allow the best chance heading North or South.

I want to chase someday...

SREF_prob_sigtor_3__f036.gif

I'm starting to look at some data now. There will be tornadoes tomorrow, but the situation is not as clear cut as I'd like to see at this time. Looks like some lead wave coming out could set convection off earlier than normal and make this kinda messy with multiple conditional target areas. I'll be taking a closer look at some data through the evening.

I'm starting to look at some data now. There will be tornadoes tomorrow, but the situation is not as clear cut as I'd like to see at this time. Looks like some lead wave coming out could set convection off earlier than normal and make this kinda messy with multiple conditional target areas. I'll be taking a closer look at some data through the evening.

Yeah, the NAM showed this. :yikes:

We are shooting for Wichita/Greensburg corridor tonight. Should leave options open.

If that's the case, I recommend the Comfort Suites in Pratt, KS. It's really nice. Call ahead though to make sure they have rooms if that's the place you want to consider.

If that's the case, I recommend the Comfort Suites in Pratt, KS. It's really nice. Call ahead though to make sure they have rooms if that's the place you want to consider.

Cool. We were thinking Pratt might be a good option. Kinda wanted to see Greensburg but options more limited.

Cool. We were thinking Pratt might be a good option. Kinda wanted to see Greensburg but options more limited.

Yeah, especially after May 4, 2007. Not sure how they've built up since. There used to be a decent best western there. Not sure if they've rebuilt it.

After looking at the website, it looks like they have. Might be worth your while...sounds new and interesting...

http://bestwesternkansas.com/hotels/best-western-plus-night-watchman-inn-and-suites

Archived