• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Chasecation!

Still not overly impressed with the chase action thus far from since the end of our trip. This is certainly turning out to be THE WORST chase season ever. Still time to go of course. Not sure how the other guys feel, but I'm not disappointed with our trip, action wise, with what I've seen since.

Yesterday may be further evidence something is up out there this yr. Perhaps the recent rains -- if they continue -- over the drought area will help provide a decent late season, but I doubt we would have been that much happier this week than last. Gotta figure out which weeks to go next yr... ;)

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...definitely deep into the dates I typically take. It's true...careful evaluation for next year will have to be done. Close eyes on ENSO in addition to drought/rain conditions, NAO, etc. You guys definitely taught me some things there.

what happened with your friends in nyc? are they going? the pattern looks pretty crappy right now -- gfs wants to build a big upper ridge in the longer range.

what happened with your friends in nyc? are they going? the pattern looks pretty crappy right now -- gfs wants to build a big upper ridge in the longer range.

Scott McPartland and Dave Lewison...they're out, they finally pulled the trigger...as did some other folks (Chris Collura just arrived in the plains). A few others are still in a holding pattern (like Jeff Gammons), others have canceled their entire season already....but those tend to be the ones with less flexibility.

lolz

what a crappy hobby :axe:

Looks like this was the week to be there.

yeah having a job and needing to give notice before leaving is a biotch. so is climo when it doesnt necessarily follow itself. next time i'll do late may/early june, though im sure that means outbreaks that yr will be early may.

I did like this in the WSJ y-day... I'm more concerned about street cred than actually not seeing a tornado.

Highlighting the unpredictability of such lethal storms, the weeks before the twister marked an unusual lull in the number of tornadoes that normally occur this time of year, experts said. More than half the season's severe tornadoes usually strike in May and June. During the first three weeks of May, however, the number of powerful twisters had dipped to historic lows, federal meteorologists said.

"We were so far below normal in the first three weeks of May that we may not catch up to normal for the month," said meteorologist Harold Brooks at the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Okla.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304520804576341353063936710.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_3

I did like this in the WSJ y-day... I'm more concerned about street cred than actually not seeing a tornado.

Highlighting the unpredictability of such lethal storms, the weeks before the twister marked an unusual lull in the number of tornadoes that normally occur this time of year, experts said. More than half the season's severe tornadoes usually strike in May and June. During the first three weeks of May, however, the number of powerful twisters had dipped to historic lows, federal meteorologists said.

"We were so far below normal in the first three weeks of May that we may not catch up to normal for the month," said meteorologist Harold Brooks at the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, Okla.

http://online.wsj.co...J_WSJ_US_News_3

May not be too late to fly to OKC or TUL and rent a car. Might be quicker to fly to DFW, rent a car, and head North. Just head for DCA or IAD or whatever now. Buy supplies at a Wal*Mart after you land.

May not be too late to fly to OKC or TUL and rent a car. Might be quicker to fly to DFW, rent a car, and head North. Just head for DCA or IAD or whatever now. Buy supplies at a Wal*Mart after you land.

good idea. i'll let you know how that goes...

It sounds a bit absurd, but honestly, if I were in the USA right now, I would consider exactly that.

All this action has given me a slight itch to get out there in the Plains. Although I'll always be a Tropical Dude, I would like to see a good tornado at some point.

I would too, I suppose, had I not just spent about 3,000 in gear/lodging/etc. It's something to consider in the future. I think I could chase on my own, but I'd probably rather not... so that's a factor too.

I would too, I suppose, had I not just spent about 3,000 in gear/lodging/etc. It's something to consider in the future. I think I could chase on my own, but I'd probably rather not... so that's a factor too.

Chasing alone is harder, that's for sure. I don't mind the loneliness-- but it's just a different experience altogether.

Chasing alone is harder, that's for sure. I don't mind the loneliness-- but it's just a different experience altogether.

Since there are so many microscale features involved it seems good to have another knowledgeable person to bounce ideas off of. Of course a place like this might make that slightly less necessary.

Other than increasing odds of something happening I'm not sure a day like today would be my optimal. It's going to be a giant clusterfook I'm sure. I'm more and more focused on late season for the photography angle. To me a tornado is a tornado. An EF4/5 might make a better war story but that's probably about it.

Since there are so many microscale features involved it seems good to have another knowledgeable person to bounce ideas off of. Of course a place like this might make that slightly less necessary.

Other than increasing odds of something happening I'm not sure a day like today would be my optimal. It's going to be a giant clusterfook I'm sure. I'm more and more focused on late season for the photography angle. To me a tornado is a tornado. An EF4/5 might make a better war story but that's probably about it.

Yeah, I guess it depends what you're looking for. Since I've never seen a tornado, an EF1 rope would get me excited, I'm sure. That having been said, it's the wicked, multi-vortex, wedge deals that take up the whole horizon that I fantasize about seeing.

So you're going back late in the season for some more action?

Yeah, I guess it depends what you're looking for. Since I've never seen a tornado, an EF1 rope would get me excited, I'm sure. That having been said, it's the wicked, multi-vortex, wedge deals that take up the whole horizon that I fantasize about seeing.

So you're going back late in the season for some more action?

Not this year.. Hopefully next.

Well... If it's important enough to you, you'll do it.

One can live a satisfying parallel, "second life" as a chaser. It just takes a little maneuvering.

I enjoyed it .. didnt reach the ultimate goal, so I'll be back at least once more. ;)

Assuming best case scenario:

$400 Plane ticket + check bag

$600 4 days car rental w/ all insurances to cover vehicle

$300 4 days fuel cost

$350 4 nights of hotels

$100 food for 4 days

and then you have to consider:

-do you have reliable internet

-do you have the right programs to chase

-will you be able to position yourself in time

-can you get in and out of bad situations in time to make sure you trip is only 4 days

Additionally:

-what income would you loose in going (for those that are hourly income types)

-are you good enough to chase solo

-are you prepared to deal with the chase situation surround such a large event

There are so many factors. Ian did it right by getting together with an experienced chaser. Mark is pretty much prepared to go solo himself, but he's still have quite the learning curve. Ian probably needs more time...especially one behind the wheel. Driving and navigating are BIG SAFETY FACTORS, and that takes lots of miles and time to master. I'm probably closing in on 100,000 miles pure severe weather chasing miles alone (not counting my hurricane chases here). I still find I could do it better.

If he was to go out again this season...best to again go with an experienced person...it doesn't have to be me of course.

Assuming best case scenario:

$400 Plane ticket + check bag

$600 4 days car rental w/ all insurances to cover vehicle

$300 4 days fuel cost

$350 4 nights of hotels

$100 food for 4 days

Come on, now... 4 nights at hotels for THREE people cost us an average of about $65/night... one person would spend less than $250 (for a single bed) for the 4 nights. Food's probably closer to $60.

Come on, now... 4 nights at hotels for THREE people cost us an average of about $65/night... one person would spend less than $250 (for a single bed) for the 4 nights. Food's probably closer to $60.

Rumor has it a tropical poster/chaer will not eat junk food of any kind, and he probably would have an extravagant food bill.

I knew it was a long shot, but I figured if anyone could drop everything and head for OKC, it'd be Ian.

Rumor has it a tropical poster/chaer will not eat junk food of any kind, and he probably would have an extravagant food bill.

:D

If you're referring to me, chases are actually a break from my normal health-nazi lifestyle. I eat pretty-much whatever on the road-- drive-thru burgers, hot dogs from gas stations, soda, etc. It's OK to do that twice a year, and I don't have the time to get finicky about food when chasing.

:angry:

Are you referring to that time in BRO, after a chase, when I wanted hot food? I wasn't being finicky-- I was being hungry.

Gustav.

Upon arrival at the hotel I thought you were gonna faint when I pulled out the goody bag the wife had thrown together.

Then....

Once the quest for 'hot food' (which is another story) was lost.....

:popcorn:

Archived