• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Storm chase pictures and videos

janetjanet998

Fellow chasers - I'm getting ready to purchase a new vehicle, preferably an suv. Any suggestions, looking for something with plenty of room that doesn't get god awful gas mileage.

I have a Jeep Liberty 4 x 4 that is great for chasing. Handles great on wet roads, part time 4 wheel drive so you can do 70 or 80 np in 4 wheel (if you had to) and it wouldn't hurt it as the computer doesn't engage it until it detects differential "slipage"....works great when I have been chasing the back country and then you come across a debris area or muddy roads. Plenty of room inside (check with stebo he and I have chased in it many times) and the back seats fold down so if you were on a long hall switching drivers and the seat wasn't comfy enough you can fold down the read seats and throw an inflatable mattress in there and sleep on that. Gas mileage wise I get about 14 highway 19 city BUT I have the 04 model with the larger 3.7L. The newer models with the 2.2L get something like 19 city 26 highway. I definitely would recommend a Liberty as a chase vehicle. Compact yet good ground clearance.....4 x 4.... and the rear seats folding down all make it good for chasing.

I have a Jeep Liberty 4 x 4 that is great for chasing. Handles great on wet roads, part time 4 wheel drive so you can do 70 or 80 np in 4 wheel (if you had to) and it wouldn't hurt it as the computer doesn't engage it until it detects differential "slipage"....works great when I have been chasing the back country and then you come across a debris area or muddy roads. Plenty of room inside (check with stebo he and I have chased in it many times) and the back seats fold down so if you were on a long hall switching drivers and the seat wasn't comfy enough you can fold down the read seats and throw an inflatable mattress in there and sleep on that. Gas mileage wise I get about 14 highway 19 city BUT I have the 04 model with the larger 3.7L. The newer models with the 2.2L get something like 19 city 26 highway. I definitely would recommend a Liberty as a chase vehicle. Compact yet good ground clearance.....4 x 4.... and the rear seats folding down all make it good for chasing.

I actually test drove one, but I ended up purchased a 2011 Toyota Highlander. My chase team just scored a big media contract, so I wanted to hurry and get a new vehicle sooner than later.

A few from the April 14 event in S OK:

Structure in the early stages of the Atoka supercell's life (near Madill):

2011-04-14_5611.jpg

Contrast-enhanced images of the Tushka/Atoka/Bruno tornado approaching US-69 (view from the SSE):

2011-04-15_5629_enhanced.jpg

2011-04-15_5630_enhanced.jpg

Mind-blowing RFD cut immediately after the tornado devastated Tushka:

2011-04-15_5638.jpg

^ Well done... I drove all the way to TX to see similarly nice mammatus!

Here are a few from the supercell which developed near SPS and seemed to propagate eastward quite slowly, due to lots of backbuilding and mergers with new updrafts. Lots of cool scenes, but ultimately not the best choice of storms, since one much closer to home (Byars) ended up putting down a few 'naders.

2011-04-23_5643.jpg

2011-04-23_5650.jpg

2011-04-23_5655_pano.jpg

2011-04-23_5740.jpg

2011-04-23_5790.jpg

Here are a few from the supercell which developed near SPS and seemed to propagate eastward quite slowly, due to lots of backbuilding and mergers with new updrafts. Lots of cool scenes, but ultimately not the best choice of storms, since one much closer to home (Byars) ended up putting down a few 'naders.

Nice pictures :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dryline LPs in the Twin Cities metro last night (5/10). :arrowhead:

Couldn't decide which way to point the cam as the storm to my south was putting on the most incredible display of mammatus I have ever seen...

Updraft on my storm really started cranking about the time it dropped a possible tor in St. Michael:

20110510001.jpg

We just don't see this kind of structure up here...

20110510038.jpg

20110510056.jpg

This is as close as it got to producing anything while I was on it, probably just as it was crossing the warm front. Nice little RFD slot and a funnel that was spinning pretty good for about 5 minutes:

20110510067.jpg

In the meantime, to my south...

20110510020.jpg

20110510021.jpg

20110510017.jpg

What an amazing night, considering I didn't get off work until 6, was expecting a cap bust, and put a grand total of about 10 miles on the car... :guitar:

After seeing those pics I decided to check out you website, and I must say, I'm extremely impressed.

Pictures, chase accounts, and availability of maps and SPC reports for each day are all excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived