• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Storm chase pictures and videos

janetjanet998

I thought it would be good a seperate thread was made just fore storm chase accounts. That way they won't get buried in the superthreads. (but post both places if you wish)

I suppose we can have a monthy thread for now

to start off the thread here is a nice pic from Chicago storm near mapleton IA that he posted in the superthread

iowa_tor.jpg

What an amazing chase yesterday! The only downside for me was that my point and shoot camera is worthless at night without a tripod. My only personal tornado pics are early on when the tornadoes were much less impressive. My chasing partner Jeremy Ludin had is DSLR camera which captured the nighttime activity much better than mine. We also got really good nighttime video as well. There were a few times when there were more than one tornado on the ground. The mesocyclone west of Pocahontas was an absolutely huge mothership. The RFD cut wrapping in was equally impressive.

These are my chasing buddy's still pics... Will post our vid in a few days too.

post-613-0-94931200-1302459043.jpg

post-613-0-42681200-1302459145.jpg

post-613-0-47999500-1302459208.jpg

We got some really good footage of the gigantic mesocyclone not too long before Pocahontas was hit. It was actually more impressive than the large tornadoes we seen. The size of it was unreal. Can't wait to get the video/vid captures of that uploaded.

One of the things I'll never forget about that night was just how insane that inflow was. We had stopped and got out of the truck on a few occasions and I literally had to pull as hard as I could to get the door to shut.

We got some really good footage of the gigantic mesocyclone not too long before Pocahontas was hit. It was actually more impressive than the large tornadoes we seen. The size of it was unreal. Can't wait to get the video/vid captures of that uploaded.

One of the things I'll never forget about that night was just how insane that inflow was. We had stopped and got out of the truck on a few occasions and I literally had to pull as hard as I could to get the door to shut.

Completely agree - the inflow was insane. In fact, we said that even if we wouldn't have seen any tornadoes, the inflow made the chase.

my decent/blah/ok picture of the Mapleton, IA tornado looking northwest. Didn't get much in the way of photos/video this day. For some reason just sat and watched the storm, mostly near nightfall when it took on great structure with inflow winds of 60mph, going to be up for storm of the year me thinks.

Can't help but wonder if this was in june and happened all during the daylight hours.

Here's a few of my shots from before it got dark. We were on the early gustnado/weak spinup stuff east of Onawa. We ended up getting chased down the road by some of these circulations, so we ended up driving on the road option that went well south of Mapleton, so we missed that portion of the storm. Ended up catching back up with it as dark set in east of Mapleton. Unfortunately by then my point and shoot camera was pretty much worthless, so all I could do is concentrate on shooting video. Should have the video up in a few days.

This top pic is the first innocent looking updraft going up in eastern Nebraska as we were crossing into Nebraska from Iowa near Blair.

post-613-0-22220700-1302581518.jpg

post-613-0-24593500-1302581532.jpg

post-613-0-74037000-1302581545.jpg

April 8th, 2011 Chase Summary...

Myself (freshman met student), 3 senior met students, and a business major went out on a chase today. Left at 1:30 p.m. and drove out to Hinton, OK so we'd be in a position to go either north or south depending on what happened. Eventually left Hinton around 4:15 when it became clear that nothing was going to from to the SW. Drove up to Watonga and over to Kingfisher; noticed a developing cell during this time. Drove north from Kingfisher up to Hennessey and it was clear that stuff was firing up. Went east and north on 2 more roads from Hennessey. Had to decide whether to keep on the original cell or go for one further to the NE of us. Decided to keep on the original one. Eventually stopped at the intersection of SR-74 and U.S. 412 east of Enid. Friend pointed out that the radar showed good rotation very near us, but we couldn't see anything. Eventually realized the good rotation was basically over us, and immediately got out of the car and started filming. There was definite rotation but nothing ever touched and in hindsight this was as close as anything got to touching down (as an aside the storm was never tornado warned). Headed east on U.S. 412 and then turned north onto I-35 b/c 412 became a toll road. This was a mistake, as we thought we could get north to the next exit before the hail core beared down upon us. This was not the case. Once it became clear that we were gonna be hit by hail, we pulled off the road and rode it out with many other cars on the side of I-35, both chaser & non-chaser. Saw hail up to the size of hen eggs (2.00") but luckily it was soft hail (much of it shattered upon impact w/ the ground) so my friend's car did not get dented. Ended up following the storm a little more but it started to weaken soon after so we called it a day around Red Rock.

This was personally my first chase so the summary probably leaves a lot to be desired but I figured I may as well post it. Have uploaded some pics that complement the summary & pics of the hail (we waited a good 5 mins after the last of the hail storm was done to get out so some melting may have occurred). Also have video of the funnel cloud at the very bottom of this post

Summary1.png

Summary2.png

016.jpg

026.jpg

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bPtksu8_zE0

April 8th, 2011 Chase Summary...

Myself (freshman met student), 3 senior met students, and a business major went out on a chase today. Left at 1:30 p.m. and drove out to Hinton, OK so we'd be in a position to go either north or south depending on what happened. Eventually left Hinton around 4:15 when it became clear that nothing was going to from to the SW. Drove up to Watonga and over to Kingfisher; noticed a developing cell during this time. Drove north from Kingfisher up to Hennessey and it was clear that stuff was firing up. Went east and north on 2 more roads from Hennessey. Had to decide whether to keep on the original cell or go for one further to the NE of us. Decided to keep on the original one. Eventually stopped at the intersection of SR-74 and U.S. 412 east of Enid. Friend pointed out that the radar showed good rotation very near us, but we couldn't see anything. Eventually realized the good rotation was basically over us, and immediately got out of the car and started filming. There was definite rotation but nothing ever touched and in hindsight this was as close as anything got to touching down (as an aside the storm was never tornado warned). Headed east on U.S. 412 and then turned north onto I-35 b/c 412 became a toll road. This was a mistake, as we thought we could get north to the next exit before the hail core beared down upon us. This was not the case. Once it became clear that we were gonna be hit by hail, we pulled off the road and rode it out with many other cars on the side of I-35, both chaser & non-chaser. Saw hail up to the size of hen eggs (2.00") but luckily it was soft hail (much of it shattered upon impact w/ the ground) so my friend's car did not get dented. Ended up following the storm a little more but it started to weaken soon after so we called it a day around Red Rock.

This was personally my first chase so the summary probably leaves a lot to be desired but I figured I may as well post it. Have uploaded some pics that complement the summary & pics of the hail (we waited a good 5 mins after the last of the hail storm was done to get out so some melting may have occurred). Also have video of the funnel cloud at the very bottom of this post

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bPtksu8_zE0

Great write-up; saves me some time, since I was on the same storm and followed a similar path. I think you must be somewhere in my shots that I got from just S of that intersection, lol.

2011-04-08_5503.jpg

2011-04-08_5507.jpg

Here's the second attempt about five minutes later on the N side of US-412:

2011-04-08_5514.jpg

Structure as the storm passed over I-35:

2011-04-09_5520.jpg

And a couple after-dark shots of the tornado-warned Kay Co. supercell that later produced the Ponca City tornado:

2011-04-09_5538.jpg

2011-04-09_5548.jpg

Shouldn't have gone after that damn thing... caused me to get back after 1am and sleep in too late to make it to IA the next day. :axe:

Time to get it through my skull that leaving the S/C Plains for setups in places like IA and MN is going to be mandatory this year if I want anything good... sigh.

Great write-up; saves me some time, since I was on the same storm and followed a similar path. I think you must be somewhere in my shots that I got from just S of that intersection, lol.

2011-04-08_5503.jpg

Shouldn't have gone after that damn thing... caused me to get back after 1am and sleep in too late to make it to IA the next day. :axe:

Time to get it through my skull that leaving the S/C Plains for setups in places like IA and MN is going to be mandatory this year if I want anything good... sigh.

Haha we're the car that's your shot above so yeah we were pretty close lol. Nice shots BTW, I was dumb and forgot to take pictures of it; just got video instead. Oh well.

Wow, nice pics! That second to last one looks eerily similar to all those photos of the Greensburg tornado.

Thanks. Still not sure if the tornadoes ever hit anything when they were at their largest. Large tornadoes don't always end up being as strong as what others were at that same size. The tornadoes this night seemed quiet large at times, but luckily they either were relatively weak, or just didn't hit anything.

Fellow chasers - I'm getting ready to purchase a new vehicle, preferably an suv. Any suggestions, looking for something with plenty of room that doesn't get god awful gas mileage.

You can check out some jeep models, cant go wrong with that. The new explorers aren't bad either. Upgraded interior with different engines to chose from.

Archived