• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Summer analogs 2011

And that's pretty consistent with temperatures last summer with the widespread heat concentrated in the southern and central U.S., although the heat was more widespread than one would expect solely on the NAO as some it spread northwards as well.

I think it fell completely in line with what one would expect after a Strong Nino to Nina Transition, as Nino to Nina Summers have always been Notoriously Hot over the Lower 48. Kind of the "Anti-2009", in a sense.

If this summer were to feature a neutral like NAO, maybe relatively weak, I'd think other factors would outweigh it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stepping aside from the soil moisture argument for a bit...

I do not follow the part I quoted.

post-577-0-89599000-1303378922.gif

Obviously this doesn't mean you cannot get a resurgence of la nina, but the most surprising thing about the MJO has been that it has avoided the "typical" nina phases more than p7-p8, which is one reason the nina has taken a hit, along with climatology favoring weakening ENSO events in the spring.

Are you basing this off MJO activity alone? I agree the Nina mode isn't potent at this point, but any "hit" taken" doesn't seem all that Major regarding the atmospheric aspect.

SOI has remained quite positive.

http://www.longpaddo...30daysoivalues/

Total AAM down in the dumps....does not reflect a weakening Nina Mode Specifically

gltotaam.sig.90day.gif

I'm not yet familiar with how the Upper 7 Sigma Levels & the Lower 21 Sigma Levels can be used, but I'd think even a rookie like me could see that an El Nino is unlikely.

Global Earth AAM tendancy not all that reflective of a flipping ENSO signal, although I'm not sure it can be used for that purpose.

glteaam.90day.gif

Stepping aside from the soil moisture argument for a bit...

I do not follow the part I quoted.

post-577-0-89599000-1303378922.gif

Obviously this doesn't mean you cannot get a resurgence of la nina, but the most surprising thing about the MJO has been that it has avoided the "typical" nina phases more than p7-p8, which is one reason the nina has taken a hit, along with climatology favoring weakening ENSO events in the spring.

It looks like the MJO never is making it all the way into Phase 8 though, and that last WWB didn't really have the momentum to push into the ENSO regions. GFS ENS show the MJO staying in the circle of death for a while before potentially trying to make a move:

It seems to be lacking the final push to kill the Niña, that's what I meant.

And that's pretty consistent with temperatures last summer with the widespread heat concentrated in the southern and central U.S., although the heat was more widespread than one would expect solely on the NAO as some it spread northwards as well.

I was actually thinking we'd see a more positive/neutral NAO this summer with a vortex over North-Central Canada and perhaps a ridge towards Iceland. However, I was mostly banking on the EPO/AK block bringing down some colder air for the Northern Tier as it did last year in MT where I was...with that area of low heights over the Northern Tier and the dry soil factor over the South, you'd be left with a pretty strong ridge/trough configuration regardless of what the NAO does.

Everyone tries to make NAO summer correlations but I find the effects can be pretty variable during the warm season. For example, 2010 was a -NAO summer and most of the country (south and north) was warmer than average. 2009 was a -NAO summer and most of the Northeast had a record cold summer, especially July. July 2009 was the coldest July on record in Pennsylvania! So what makes the difference?

Here is one summer I was looking at, does have the -NAO but also the AK block....

2010 was just a torch summer but it definitely had the -NAO gradient with the greatest heat in the south. Obviously some other factor was driving the warmth but the NAO helped keep the north more moderate but torched the south.

As for you suggesting the cold northeast in 2009 was inconsistent with the -NAO.. that is perfectly consistent. A -NAO in summer produces a cold northern tier. That's exactly what was seen in 2009. Cold north warm south... classic -NAO summer pattern.

The correlations as Wes pointed out are pretty strong... the NAO in summer clearly affects the pattern strongly even if it is not the #1 factor. If you are now saying the NAO will be neutral then I could see the pattern you are forecasting, but with a +NAO and near permanent Baffin vortex you were describing before I think that would be very difficult.

2010 was just a torch summer but it definitely had the -NAO gradient with the greatest heat in the south. Obviously some other factor was driving the warmth but the NAO helped keep the north more moderate but torched the south.

As for you suggesting the cold northeast in 2009 was inconsistent with the -NAO.. that is perfectly consistent. A -NAO in summer produces a cold northern tier. That's exactly what was seen in 2009. Cold north warm south... classic -NAO summer pattern.

The correlations as Wes pointed out are pretty strong... the NAO in summer clearly affects the pattern strongly even if it is not the #1 factor. If you are now saying the NAO will be neutral then I could see the pattern you are forecasting, but with a +NAO and near permanent Baffin vortex you were describing before I think that would be very difficult.

If you're referring to me,

Actually I was saying that 2009 was a Cool Summer, that it was consistant with a Transition to a strong Nino after a Nina Base for the previous 2 yrs. The Nina to Nino summers are notorious for being cold and wet.

In 2010 the atmosphere seemed to be in a state of Chaos, the dying Strong Nino definitely had an impact on the Synoptic pattern over the US.

Well I don't think the NAO will be a strong signal either way this summer...since February we've basically seen occasional shots of blocking amidst a general weak +NAO regime; I don't see any reason for this to break down too much unless a new forcing acts on the pattern, like El Niño or a sudden change in the low solar activity. But if we stay in this global regime, I think we'll get a generally up-and-down look where it only ends up being a tertiary factor or something. I could see the Northern Tier being cool anyway with a more neutral/positive NAO if the vortex sets up in the right spot relative to the amplified EPO block we've been seeing, or whatever you want to call the Aleutian ridge. Here is what the NAO has been doing lately:

As I say though, these are only preliminary guesses/maps for the summer, and I expect to make a lot of changes in the next month as I start to do more serious research.

Well I don't think the NAO will be a strong signal either way this summer...since February we've basically seen occasional shots of blocking amidst a general weak +NAO regime

I certainly wouldn't classify what we've seen since Feb as a weak +NAO regime.. it will end up close to a top 5 most +NAO FMA period since 1950. The NAO has averaged just a little below +1 and has been positive for 80/90 days using the model mean through the end of the month. It's rare to get three solidly +NAO months in a row.

I certainly wouldn't classify what we've seen since Feb as a weak +NAO regime.. it will end up close to a top 5 most +NAO FMA period since 1950. The NAO has averaged just a little below +1 and has been positive for 80/90 days using the model mean through the end of the month. It's rare to get three solidly +NAO months in a row.

Are you sure about that? I know there were some crazy +NAOs in the 1980's and 90's.

The Soil Moisture models are predicting a colder summer overall in the lower 48, so, we'll see I guess.

My untrained brain sees something like this

Agree with map, I am also thinking about shifting the ridge westward as you have.

Nonetheless, still an atypical look for a post-Niña summer. You seem to be taking into account some of the same factors as I.

Agree with map, I am also thinking about shifting the ridge westward as you have.

Nonetheless, still an atypical look for a post-Niña summer. You seem to be taking into account some of the same factors as I.

Perhaps I am, I really don't have the desire to go into detail and fill up a page as you do :P

Exactly. The NAo remains the wild card this summer especially if the enso signal weakens. The negative Glaam does make me wonder how much it will weak though.

His map looks pretty classic Nina to me, perhaps slightly more expansive heat in the SW and southern plains than the Nina climo I posted earlier.

Looking at post torch summer statistics as well as 2nd nina year climatology.... one would think the highest positive thermal deviations from normal for us would be in the early part of summer and perhaps even before.... somewhere in the late May thru June period.

Bethesda..... there's two things that make me think this summer may be close to average for the northeast..... one is the fact that the early heat may offset what happens later and the other thing is, although we may not see anywhere nearly as many hot (90+) days as we do in a classic torch summer like what last summer was (my alltime favorite summer), we will partially offset that with higher humidity that results in higher mins.

Looking at post torch summer statistics as well as 2nd nina year climatology.... one would think the highest positive thermal deviations from normal for us would be in the early part of summer and perhaps even before.... somewhere in the late May thru June period.

Bethesda..... there's two things that make me think this summer may be close to average for the northeast..... one is the fact that the early heat may offset what happens later and the other thing is, although we may not see anywhere nearly as many hot (90+) days as we do in a classic torch summer like what last summer was (my alltime favorite summer), we will partially offset that with higher humidity that results in higher mins.

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing. My only worry is having gone too warm over the NE.

You don't think the +PDO phase could cause problems in those yrs? I remember doing an amatuer forecast a few yrs ago, and the +PDO analogs busted bad (1977 and afterwards, 2005 and before)

One of the rare times you and I will agree. I am liking 1954, 1955, 1971 and 1974. 1967 followed a neutral-negative ENSO period, and 2008 followed a weaker Niña event. At that point also I believe we had just "flipped" to cold phase.

• 2 weeks later...

MEI

Feb/Mar : -1.548

closest actuals

2008: -1.619

1956 : -1.399

1974: -1.769

1971: -1.811

1950: -1.287

Cloest trends

2011 -1.654 -1.552 -1.548

1956 -1.445 -1.306 -1.

1951 -1.069 -1.194 -1.216

1976 -1.614 -1.394 -1.251

1989 -1.144 -1.297 -1.051

1999 -1.109 -1.219 -1.043

2008 -.984 -1.389 -1.619

2000 -1.172 -1.228 -1.117

MEI Value

mar/Apr: -1.495

closest actuals

1955: -1.556

1974: -1.684

1976 : -1.192

1956: -1.157

1967: -1.067

1999 : -1.026

Cloest trends

2011 -1.654 -1.552 -1.548 -1.495

1976 -1.614 -1.394 -1.251 -1.192

2008 -.984 -1.389 -1.619 -.945

1956 -1.445 -1.306 -1.399 -1.157

1999 -1.109 -1.219 -1.043 -1.026

1950 -1.046 -1.148 -1.287 -1.058

MEI Value

Feb/Mar : -1.495

closest actuals

1955: -1.556

1974: -1.684

1976 : -1.192

1956: -1.157

1967: -1.067

1999 : -1.026

Cloest trends

2011 -1.654 -1.552 -1.548 -1.495

1976 -1.614 -1.394 -1.251 -1.192

2008 -.984 -1.389 -1.619 -.945

1956 -1.445 -1.306 -1.399 -1.157

1999 -1.109 -1.219 -1.043 -1.026

1950 -1.046 -1.148 -1.287 -1.058

That should read Mar/Apr mei index...

1892-93 would be a great hurricane season analog...It was a second year la nina following a very snowy winter...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely leaning warmer than you guys, was thinking of Summer 1999 but with the heat a bit stronger in the Southern Plains and more normal temperatures in New England/Upper Mid-Atlantic:

Haven't looked at it too carefully, just preliminary thoughts...

I'm leaning towards a warmer Summer than I originally thought...I don't think it will be as hot as 1999 or 1955 but I wouldn't rule out another 100 degree heat wave in the northeast in July...May was warm in the east...I think this pattern continues into July at least...

• 1 month later...

I'm leaning towards a warmer Summer than I originally thought...I don't think it will be as hot as 1999 or 1955 but I wouldn't rule out another 100 degree heat wave in the northeast in July...May was warm in the east...I think this pattern continues into July at least...

I was right...It's hotter than both those years...:axe:I was hoping those early analogs would pan out but the writing was on the wall it would not be a cool Summer...

Very nice call.

So what are your thoughts on where we go from here? I'm wondering if we see a Floyd-like storm this year similar to 1999.

Very nice call.

So what are your thoughts on where we go from here? I'm wondering if we see a Floyd-like storm this year similar to 1999.

thanks...I didn't think it would top last year but it did...Sort of like the last two winters...I bet August sets some more heat records and the Summer will go down as one of the hottest on record...I imagine it stays on the dry side with that heat ridge in the middle of the country...We will need a Floyd by Summers end...

Wow, all my signals that I consider to be solid indicators at this lead time give me exactly opposite signs for this year vs 2010. But, that said, I failed winter so I could be wrong. LOL...anyway, weighting a year that was 1 stdev hotter than the previous record hottest year would seem to skew the map in one direction.

Me Fail. 2010 FTW. I defer to Bob and Mark. The sad part is, I could feel the changes going on in April 2010 and certainly by mid May 2010...I was no where close to being hot enough. But this year, I really do not have any idea how I would go back and issue a different forecast. I have one idea that I should have done that would likely have limited the level of cool leaning CDD forecast I went with, but that would not have been a pattern driver per say...just a floor setter.

Me Fail. 2010 FTW. I defer to Bob and Mark. The sad part is, I could feel the changes going on in April 2010 and certainly by mid May 2010...I was no where close to being hot enough. But this year, I really do not have any idea how I would go back and issue a different forecast. I have one idea that I should have done that would likely have limited the level of cool leaning CDD forecast I went with, but that would not have been a pattern driver per say...just a floor setter.

-NAO/-AO, Resurgence of La Niña conditions, Drought/Soil moisture in the S/SE?

Archived