• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vermont winter climo

beavis1729

There aren't too many official climo sites in VT...so I wanted to discuss the winter climo around the state.

Obviously it's very dependent on elevation...but I did some digging on the USU climate website and did some interpolation for a few locations around the state.

These are just estimates...and I don't live there, so I'm sure there are many mistakes.

So. please correct me if I'm wrong. :snowman:

Plus, add your own location and other locations too!

This is in order of shortest duration of snowcover to longest duration of snowcover.

Burlington

Avg. Jan. high/low temp: 26/8

Coldest night in a typical winter: -15

Avg. seasonal snowfall: 80"

Period of continuous snowpack in a typical winter: 2 months (1/1 thru 2/28)

Montpelier

Avg. Jan. high/low temp: 26/6

Coldest night in a typical winter: -20

Avg. seasonal snowfall: 90"

Period of continuous snowpack in a typical winter: 2.5 months (12/15 thru 2/28)

St. Johnsbury

Avg. Jan. high/low temp: 25/5

Coldest night in a typical winter: -25

Avg. seasonal snowfall: 90"

Period of continuous snowpack in a typical winter: 3 months (12/15 thru 3/15)

Island Pond

Avg. Jan. high/low temp: 22/0

Coldest night in a typical winter: -30

Avg. seasonal snowfall: 100"

Period of continuous snowpack in a typical winter: 4 months (12/1 thru 3/31)

Westmore

Avg. Jan. high/low temp: 26/6

Coldest night in a typical winter: -20

Avg. seasonal snowfall: 140"

Period of continuous snowpack in a typical winter: 4.5 months (12/1 thru 4/15)

I can add some thoughts to this discussion when I have more time, but a good starting point is the annual precipitation map which at least shows you the general precipitation patterns around the state.

Anyway, by far the worst place in Vermont for snowfall is the Champlain Valley... it still does very well for a place with elevations that are generally between 100-400ft, but there's even a big difference in snowfall between the north and southern portions of the valley. From BTV northward gets a lot more of the "meso-scale" type snows from low level convergence as air is funneled into the valley from the north/west, and depending on the situation even the upslope mountain snows can back their way into BTV land. Then there's the freak orographic blocking events that come out of no where (34" BTV Jan 1-2, 2010... 14" BTV March 4, 2006) and because BTV is due west of the Mansfield-Bolton corridor, they usually do pretty well under the right circumstances. Further south in the Champlain Valley, NNW winds downslope off the High Peaks of the Adirondacks so they don't capitalize on a bunch of the light, fluffy snowfalls that BTV northward does.

Also, climate up in northern VT seems to be nickle and dime type storms. Of course we do get some whoppers from time to time, but a large percentage of the snowfall comes in storms less than 6". Its not uncommon to get 40" of snow in December or January but not have a single warning criteria storm. Usually that time of year we get daily light snowfalls as clippers, arctic fronts, and real cold low level air is lifted into the mountains... in general there's almost continuous flakes in the air and you never know if you're going to get 1/4" or 5", but its very rare to go an extended period of time in the winter without some snowfall.

Vermont_map_precipitation.htm_txt_precipitation-map2.gif

I think they need to update that precip average map to inlude the past 10 years which have been quite wet. It would boost the numbers shown there for sure. I haven't seen a year with <40" of liquid around here in a long time--even in the valleys. Meaning, the 40-44" contour should go right to the CT River I would think.

Although I just looked at the NOWData for last year and Union Village came in at 39" for 2010. :arrowhead:

I recorded 48" of liquid in 2010 and so did my nearest fellow coop-er in Chelsea. One interesting thing about the longterm numbers from Chelsea which do go back to the late 1800s is that the recording site used to be in the village/valley which is surrounded by high hills but now is up on the West Hill of Chelsea at 1400'+.

One of the cool things about VT is the microclimates. There are always areas that seem to be colder, wetter, snowier etc. than ust down the road. I'm sure it is like this in other hilly/mountainous areas but it is one of the thing that makes living here interesting.

I'm considering retiring there.

Plus, I'm a climo buff, so it's always fun to discuss this.

Lots of options...have considered locating there myself but though older still have a child at home in 5th grade. Wonderful state, scenic, progressive, and snowy. The progressive part depends on your personal politics but it matches mine.

Lots of options...have considered locating there myself but though older still have a child at home in 5th grade. Wonderful state, scenic, progressive, and snowy. The progressive part depends on your personal politics but it matches mine.

Also depends on the area you choose, there are some pretty conservative areas. Luckily, personal politics mostly take a back seat to being a good neighbor. Not always the case but for the most part as long as you can do that you can get along pretty well. I will say that I have always thought of VT as a place you have to want to live in. The cost of living is not low and great as winter, and summer for that matter, can be, mud season and the time between the end of foliage season and the first snows can be pretty dreary at times. The good thing is that if you truly are jonsing to get some variety, its only a three hour drive to Boston or 2.5 to Montreal. I always enjoy going to other places but am always happy to get back home.

Yeah, I'm a progressive type...but I'm most looking forward to the scenery and peace & quiet.

I love deep arctic winters...even if there's not a ton of snowfall to go along with it. I'll have to check out the NEK.

Yeah, I'm a progressive type...but I'm most looking forward to the scenery and peace & quiet.

I love deep arctic winters...even if there's not a ton of snowfall to go along with it. I'll have to check out the NEK.

I think the very nice part of VT which is distinct among the 2 NNE states is the beauty of the summer. Away from some of the more negative marine influences there are many warm sunny and long days. It gets hotter probably vs NH/ME but rarely oppressive particularly wrt to what you are used to in the Chicago burbs.

I think the very nice part of VT which is distinct among the 2 NNE states is the beauty of the summer. Away from some of the more negative marine influences there are many warm sunny and long days. It gets hotter probably vs NH/ME but rarely oppressive particularly wrt to what you are used to in the Chicago burbs.

Completely agree.

hardest part about the NEK is "spousal deficiency". is dark, quiet, an hour to a strip mall, and the 2 good restuarants only change their menu's seasonally. The silence can be deafening to some and thats when the sun is going down at 8:30 instead of 4. That being said, have been lucky enough to have lived here for the past 11 years, have hiked in snow every Oct and May (on a good snow year) usually looks like this

IMG_1992.jpg

Great shot, border. Nothing like the ol' white-on-green.

Luckily, personal politics mostly take a back seat to being a good neighbor. Not always the case but for the most part as long as you can do that you can get along pretty well. I will say that I have always thought of VT as a place you have to want to live in. The cost of living is not low

Aye, good summation. I know a few political ranters who get on their soapbox at partys after a few libations but for the most part, neighborliness goes a long way.

And true enough on the cost of living and people wanting to be here. In some ways, I appreciate the difficulties there are to making a go of it here. It seperates the wheat from the chaff and other than a few who are 'stuck' here for whatever reason, most seem to want to be here and have the wherewithal to make it happen.

It gets hotter probably vs NH/ME

I would actually guess, without looking at numbers, that eastern and northern Vermont is cooler in the summer than downsloped southern NH and southwestern ME--downwind of the Whites, meaning. Coastal Maine, particularly from Portland notheastward is certainly cooler than here in the summer but the central interior parts of Maine can get pretty warm with the downslope and the sandy soils. The same holds true for south-central NH, from my experience.

I would actually guess, without looking at numbers, that much of Vermont, particularly eastern & northern is cooler in the summer than downsloped southern NH and southwestern ME--downwind of the Whites, meaning. Coastal Maine, particularly from Portland notheastward is certainly cooler than here in the summer but the central interior parts can get pretty warm with the downslope and the sandy soils. The same holds true for south-central NH, from my experience.

The 10 degree rule.

When the forecast gets put out for temps in Burlington, we can subtract 10F and usually be spot on. Always get a kick out of the spring pilgrimage to Burlington, driving through enosburg, berkshire area, their corn is always 2 weeks ahead of our side, like cruising through a different state - amazing what 3K mt range can do. Similarly, what an ocean can do

borderwx: Is that awesome pic of Jay from last Mother's Day storm. that was such a cool event.

Nice shot yourself!

We had a trace of snow here last year on Mother's Day but the mountains really got it. Snapped this shot of Moosilauke on 5/10/10 from the top of our driveway:

4598840768_5af2fe3b28_z.jpg

Nice shot yourself!

We had a trace of snow here last year on Mother's Day but the mountains really got it. Snapped this shot of Moosilauke on 5/10/10 from the top of our driveway:

4598840768_5af2fe3b28_z.jpg

Nice. The moose is such a beautiful peak... if you want to see a few more scenics from that storm around Mt. Mansfield check out this post on my website

There's also more action shots from that event here... it was an incredible storm. Mt. Mansfield received 8-12+ elevation dependent inches, and the wind loaded it into the trails very nicely. The fabled front four which were completely bare prior to the storm were "skiable" for those with sturdy skiing technique and who were willing to hit a few rocks.

Vermont Climo indeed!

your gonna need more than a 1,000 words for that picture I think. NIce

the latest I've seen snow 6/1/10

IMG_1699.jpg

2010 or 2009? Either way that is an epic pic for June 1st.

I know it got incredibly cold with graupel even in BTV around that time in 2009. Last year (2010) was April 29th with 2 feet in the mountains, and then Mother's Day another foot or so at the summits.

Gpetrics, may I ask where you're located?

Maybe we could all team up to produce a map of Vermont's average annual snowfall...I can't find one for the life of me! :snowman:

central VT... but i don't have a lot of access to wx data, as I'm just a hobbiest. powderfreak and adk (at least i think that's his screenname on here) are much more knowledgeable than me, and know how to obtain more data on VT climo. i'm happy to help though! let me dig around and se.

as far as late season snowstorms go, my website (famousinternetskiers.com) has entries from every late season snow event in the north country of VT/NH last spring (2010)... and we had quite a few, so the list is extensive. They are all written from the POV of a skier though... not a met. If anyone would like me to provide an annotated link collection, I'm happy to do so.

Archived