Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Japan Nuclear Crisis Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEWSBREAK from FLOXNEWS: In city around the Fukushima plant, testing has shown that RADIATION has now seeped into some of the food supply including SPINACH and MILK which shows contamination. Nice.

They say 50 miles around the plant can have this issue.

I wonder if the Japanese are concerned about putting cement on top of the plant and then dealing with radiation getting into the ocean. I'm not an expert in radiation and have been wondering if it would effect fishing since Japan fishes a ton.

They say 50 miles around the plant can have this issue.

I wonder if the Japanese are concerned about putting cement on top of the plant and then dealing with radiation getting into the ocean. I'm not an expert in radiation and have been wondering if it would effect fishing since Japan fishes a ton.

I'm sure they'd be concerned about fishing contamination, but they'll fish elsewhere now and test the product before buying/selling. We hope anyway. They can't just dump a bunch of cement on top of the plants - not when they're still unstable and hot. Russia had to do a bunch of remediation first, and many people died as a result. Plus the cement did not fix the problem - it's another Holy Mary - high radiation deteriorates cement and it crumbles (and still releases radiation into the atmosphere).

FYI:....................Just heard that approximately 190 nuke plant workers are showing signs of radiation poisoning.

I'm sure they'd be concerned about fishing contamination, but they'll fish elsewhere now and test the product before buying/selling. We hope anyway. They can't just dump a bunch of cement on top of the plants - not when they're still unstable and hot. Russia had to do a bunch of remediation first, and many people died as a result. Plus the cement did not fix the problem - it's another Holy Mary - high radiation deteriorates cement and it crumbles (and still releases radiation into the atmosphere).

FYI:....................Just heard that approximately 190 nuke plant workers are showing signs of radiation poisoning.

fukushima plant falls under a three by Japan's scale of one to seven. Please no more quakes with those buildings in shambles.

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/00000000091.html

Engineers reported some rare success after fire trucks sprayed water for about three hours on reactor No.3, widely considered the most dangerous at the ravaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex because of its use of highly toxic plutonium.

"The situation there is stabilizing somewhat," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told a news conference."

WHAT?

criticality can be attained if the rods become rearranged or melt out of the Zircaloy cladding I believe. This would cause an exponential increase in the nuclear chain reaction and a tremendous increase in radiation. This is not the same as a nuclear weapon which seeks to obtain an almost instantaneous prompt critical state through compression.

criticality can be attained if the rods become rearranged or melt out of the Zircaloy cladding I believe. This would cause an exponential increase in the nuclear chain reaction and a tremendous increase in radiation. This is not the same as a nuclear weapon which seeks to obtain an almost instantaneous prompt critical state through compression.

Sounds like some progress has been made.....

I really hope the crisis in Japan will force action in America to address our OVER CAPACITY storage pools. This has been and remains a huge huge potential disaster in the making....not so much from quakes or storms......but terrorist. The vulnerability of the older designed plants is concerning. If we are to proceed with nuclear power it will take 70-100 plants at minimum. I also hope someone is building some CoGen plants right now.

It all comes down to a long term sustainable Energy plan that both sides agree on and will not derail as power shifts over decades.

1421: Japan's nuclear safety agency has told a news conference that cooling systems at two of the six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are now operable, NHK reoprts. An emergency diesel generator at reactor 6 has resumed operation and a cooling pump at reactor 5 is confirmed to be usable.

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

1421: Japan's nuclear safety agency has told a news conference that cooling systems at two of the six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are now operable, NHK reoprts. An emergency diesel generator at reactor 6 has resumed operation and a cooling pump at reactor 5 is confirmed to be usable.

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12307698

I would expect No 2 is next.....the other three have most damage....

Good news!

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-12307698

That really is old news. They have been using a diesel generator at reactor #6 to cool both 5-6 ever since this happened.

Also:

BREAKING NEWS: Radioactive iodine beyond limit detected in tap water in Fukushima: gov't

I beleive the top chart shows the 4 reactors not in play..part of plant 2

The bottom chart are the 6 in plant 1.

it appears plant 1 remains in bad shape....

Correct. First chart is Dai-ni plant (note the water levels, temps and pressure.) The second chart is Dai-Ichi (cross reference the measurements to Daini plant)

1520: The UN has been tracking radiation from the Fukushima plant, showing that levels taken elsewhere in the country, as well as in Russia and California, are minuscule, a diplomat with access to the readings has told AP.

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

When the winds flip we will get a better feel for how bad/not bad this is.

I'm rapidly moving towards the 'dangerous' but under control side.

Just some background on how the gov't in Japan works compared to US.

Most of Japanese Gov't is pro business, one of the things we see in this disaster is that Tepco retains control of the situation the the power plants. In the US, the Gov't (NRC) would step in and take control.this is a huge difference in the way problems are handled.

The Japanese businesses are expect to handle their own problems or to clean up after themselves. What is surprising that the Japanese Gov't stepped in and halted food sales from the accident area. that in itself is a sign on how bad the problem is.

Just some background on how the gov't in Japan works compared to US.

Most of Japanese Gov't is pro business, one of the things we see in this disaster is that Tepco retains control of the situation the the power plants. In the US, the Gov't (NRC) would step in and take control.this is a huge difference in the way problems are handled.

The Japanese businesses are expect to handle their own problems or to clean up after themselves. What is surprising that the Japanese Gov't stepped in and halted food sales from the accident area. that in itself is a sign on how bad the problem is.

Not as different as you portray. When did the US government step in and take control of the gulf oil spill from BP? The problem is, the experts in each particular nuclear plant or oil platform don't work for the government they work for the companies. Sure the government has nuclear experts but that doesn't make them expert in any one facility.

The company workers know the history of problems reported or not. They know things like, pump A doesn't pump as well as pump B. We've had vibration issues in the past with pump C. Basically what is called "local knowledge". It can be a huge advantage and argues against replacing company operators with government workers in the midst of a crisis situation.

Archived