• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12z JMA

Ji

While I agree that this threat is legit, let's keep climo in mind. Outside of December 1973, it is hard to find a big DCA storm in a La Niña. This is going back to the 54/55 winter, though. Did anything ever happen before that winter?

While I agree that this threat is legit, let's keep climo in mind. Outside of December 1973, it is hard to find a big DCA storm in a La Niña. This is going back to the 54/55 winter, though. Did anything ever happen before that winter?

do you mean a December storm or just a storm in general for DC in a La Nina winter?

do you mean a December storm or just a storm in general for DC in a La Nina winter?

A December KU storm. Only Dec 16-17, 1973 is coming to mind where DCA beat everyone, receiving 10.2 inches. PHL only got 3.8" ... NYC 2.8" and ABE 6.2" ....

A December KU storm. Only Dec 16-17, 1973 is coming to mind where DCA beat everyone, receiving 10.2 inches. PHL only got 3.8" ... NYC 2.8" and ABE 6.2" ....

well...its a hard to get a KU Storm for DCA no matter what ENSO lol. Last year was just nuts but even that KU was late in Dec(Dec 19-20). I dont remember many December storms period for DC that were really significant? 1989?

we had a 3-5 inch storm at IAD sometime in Dec 2000 and it stuck around through Christmas because it was so cold. I still remember on Dec 25,2000...the EURO called for a HECS for Dec 31,2000 and it ended up being a Miller B miss. 2000-2001 was probably the most frustrating winter ever for me because we were so close to so many big storms. Then to make it worse 01-02 came next. Terrible stretch

we had a 3-5 inch storm at IAD sometime in Dec 2000 and it stuck around through Christmas because it was so cold. I still remember on Dec 25,2000...the EURO called for a HECS for Dec 31,2000 and it ended up being a Miller B miss. 2000-2001 was probably the most frustrating winter ever for me because we were so close to so many big storms. Then to make it worse 01-02 came next. Terrible stretch

Yeah December 2000 was a great storm if you were north of PHL. Up in here northern NJ, some places got nearly 24" in 1 day from a solid 3"/hr band. Hard to achieve near zero visibility with no wind! The storm coming up next week is more El Niño-ish than anything with a STJ wave coming out behind a departing vortex and breaking down NAO signal. This was always the potential period for something given the projected NAO/EPO. The thing is: will the Pacific Jet begin to disturb things again as we get closer?

Let's not forget the potential wave ahead of it either which ECMWF slowly keeps shifting southward. Is that accumulating snow in VA on the ECMWF? lol

Yeah December 2000 was a great storm if you were north of PHL. Up in here northern NJ, some places got nearly 24" in 1 day from a solid 3"/hr band. Hard to achieve near zero visibility with no wind! The storm coming up next week is more El Niño-ish than anything with a STJ wave coming out behind a departing vortex and breaking down NAO signal. This was always the potential period for something given the projected NAO/EPO. The thing is: will the Pacific Jet begin to disturb things again as we get closer?

Let's not forget the potential wave ahead of it either which ECMWF slowly keeps shifting southward. Is that accumulating snow in VA on the ECMWF? lol

Euro had .20 of qpf at IAD with 2m temps at 32

it has .37 at RIC but 2m temps at 37-38 despite being plenty cold at 850. Congrats DT?

you remember the ECMWF had the Dec 2000 storm as a fully phased solution at one point where everyone from VA to ME would be buried

Euro had .20 of qpf at IAD with 2m temps at 32

it has .37 at RIC but 2m temps at 37-38 despite being plenty cold at 850. Congrats DT?

you remember the ECMWF had the Dec 2000 storm as a fully phased solution at one point where everyone from VA to ME would be buried

I do man. That was a terrible winter for phasing potentials that didn't materialize. December 2000 was suppose to phase right up until the night before and it didn't.

DCA itself is terrible, but at IAD, here are all Ninas/almost Ninas (tri month MEI of roughly -.4 or lower) and their December snowfall since 1960 (used BWI for 61 and 62)

1961: 7.2"

1962: 11.7"

1964: 1.0"

1970: 9.2"

1971: T

1973: 10.7"

1974: 1.0"

1975: .9"

1984: T

1988: 1.0"

1995: 2.5"

1998: .6"

1999: .2"

2000: 3.1"

2005: 5.7"

2007: 2.5"

2008: T

Very hit or miss, I think the big gap during the late 70s through the 90s could be partially attributed to the terrible Decembers that were generally common back then... maybe not, I dunno. I don't really think you can get a feel, especially since the sample size of Ninas as strong as our current one is so small.

Obviously its the DGEX, but this shows that the potential of more North track could be in the cards. Obviously I'd be a fool to hang my hat on the DGEX ever but there is always a potential of it being correct, 0.00001%.

Here's hoping that the 12Z GFS follows suit with the 12Z JMA, 00Z GFS, and 06Z DGEX. Any word on the 00Z JMA?

I do man. That was a terrible winter for phasing potentials that didn't materialize. December 2000 was suppose to phase right up until the night before and it didn't.

I did not know this little tidbit about December 2000. I just remember there was the uncertainty with the miller B setup, and I was very nervous about the storm the night before.

Of course we all know the other storm that winter, which will remain nameless, was supposed to phase earlier then it did...:whistle:

Archived