• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Does anybody believe that parts of New Jersey broke the State Record snowfall?

Chris L

I personally think the record was broken with the December Blizzard of 2010..... Some location in Hudson County (Southern areas) and Southern Union County for December 2010; even Ocean County might have gotten it. For example, my best friend in Westfield New Jersey swears he got 32.1" from Dec 2010.

For January 1996, however, easily in Camden County (offically, 33 inches fell in that county, and the areas near Philly and Burlington County likely got 34 plus). Mommouth County as well, wilth 30+ reports for '96.

Now, December 1947 was probably undermeasured since they didn't use the 6 hourly method, so its likely a few locations got 34+.

FYI the record is still 34" at Cape May in February 1899 of all places...

That 34" total at Cape May and some of the numbers that came out of the March 1888 Blizzard shows that NYC is capable of a 40" snowstorm....... one day (probably over a few days.) Chris gave some excellent info of a 17" sleet storm that occurred over four days in 1920 which would have been a 51 inch snow storm.

That 34" total at Cape May and some of the numbers that came out of the March 1888 Blizzard shows that NYC is capable of a 40" snowstorm....... one day (probably over a few days.) Chris gave some excellent info of a 17" sleet storm that occurred over four days in 1920 which would have been a 51 inch snow storm.

Just insane...17" of sleet.

Doesnt sleet have a 2:1 ratio as opposed to the normal 10:1 with most snowstorms.

Just insane...17" of sleet.

Doesnt sleet have a 2:1 ratio as opposed to the normal 10:1 with most snowstorms.

I thought it was 2:1, but according to Will and a few others it's 3:1 There was over 5" of QPF in that event so it seems to work out. I would love to see a map of that storm to see where it stalled out and how much the places that did see snow from it actually got lol.

Off topic but wasn't there a thunderstorm that dropped 25 inches of rain in South Jersey in 5 hours at some point in the 80's or 90's or am I just way off.

I dont know about 25" but I do know Long Beach Island got like a foot of rain in a thunderstorm which barely grazed NYC.

Egg Harbor City in Atlantic County had 52.0" for the entire month of Feb., 1899, as per the NCDC's Monthly Climatic Data. But as to its degree of accuracy, who knows.

So besides the 34" they mustve had another big snowstorm-- that sort of fits in with DC which got two big snowstorms that month. It reminds me of Feb 2010 lol. You know that if that 2/6/10 event had been 50 miles further north we would have gotten 60" plus that month!

I miss J.B good toilet reading every morning its weird i cancelled my subscription remember the meet and greets boy time is flying . He struck a raw nerve with some folks ,whatever the weather is slow just by the threads topic so i thought i'd vent . Oh yeah snow measurants are never accurate you know like fishing tales see ya

Good god man................I'm with you. 17" of sleet? screw that

Yeah, how do you "dig" yourself out of that? I wonder how long that sleetcover lasted and if it fell on or was topped by new snow cover? What a mess! I'm sure people weren't able to open their doors for awhile. Something like that should have been more paralyzing than the March 1888 blizzard; I'm surprised it didnt get more media coverage.

I thought it was 2:1, but according to Will and a few others it's 3:1 There was over 5" of QPF in that event so it seems to work out. I would love to see a map of that storm to see where it stalled out and how much the places that did see snow from it actually got lol.

Sleet is usually around 3:1, while snow is 12:1. So if we take that formula, 17" of sleet= 68" of snow?!

Yeah, how do you "dig" yourself out of that? I wonder how long that sleetcover lasted and if it fell on or was topped by new snow cover? What a mess! I'm sure people weren't able to open their doors for awhile. Something like that should have been more paralyzing than the March 1888 blizzard; I'm surprised it didnt get more media coverage.

Some photos of 1920.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aF2muaQskTk/S2b5BDYm3uI/AAAAAAAAADQ/7kPOpiH8Mro/s1600-h/Church+Street+-+Winter+1920a.jpg

http://www.weatherbook.com/blizzard.html 2nd photo down.

I measured a total of 9" of sleet in 2007, 5" of which, fell during that infamious Valitines Storm when 1 to 2 feet were modeled just 2 and a half days prior, then forecast changed to a few inches snow to driving rainstorm. Ended up with 5" sleet, 1" snow, and not a drop of liquid rain.

I do agree with William that likely somewhere in the north western mountains lies NJ's snowfall record, however Dec 26 many in Belmar and other Monmouth and Ocean Co shore towns swear they measured 36". Even 12 miles inland in Farmingdale 30" + fell. And being there a few days after, eyeballing, it certainly looked everybit of 30". Then again, snow measuring can be a pretty subjective reading, however, I doubt all those who reported 30+ were inflated.

Off topic but wasn't there a thunderstorm that dropped 25 inches of rain in South Jersey in 5 hours at some point in the 80's or 90's or am I just way off.

August 20-21, 1997, 13.5 inches at ACY, a result of thunderstorm training. Unbelieveable event.

State record is supposedly 14.8 inches in Tuckerton in 1939.

The real record is somewhere in the Kittatinnies, IMO.

I lived on the very top of Sparta "Mountain" most of my life and the Blizzard of 96 dropped about 40 inches on us up there. Unfortunately there is no reporting station near there, so it wasn't recorded. Typically we would get about about 1/3 more snow up on the mountain than the rest of town would get at the base.

I lived on the very top of Sparta "Mountain" most of my life and the Blizzard of 96 dropped about 40 inches on us up there. Unfortunately there is no reporting station near there, so it wasn't recorded. Typically we would get about about 1/3 more snow up on the mountain than the rest of town would get at the base.

Yeah, there or upper elevations of Highland Lakes/Barry Lakes too could have the record.

I measured a total of 9" of sleet in 2007, 5" of which, fell during that infamious Valitines Storm when 1 to 2 feet were modeled just 2 and a half days prior, then forecast changed to a few inches snow to driving rainstorm. Ended up with 5" sleet, 1" snow, and not a drop of liquid rain.

I do agree with William that likely somewhere in the north western mountains lies NJ's snowfall record, however Dec 26 many in Belmar and other Monmouth and Ocean Co shore towns swear they measured 36". Even 12 miles inland in Farmingdale 30" + fell. And being there a few days after, eyeballing, it certainly looked everybit of 30". Then again, snow measuring can be a pretty subjective reading, however, I doubt all those who reported 30+ were inflated.

Yes, I have a buddy in Wall NJ, he claims he measured 34.5", but he never sent it to the NWS, considering Belmar got 31", that total might not be too far off.

Archived