Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb. 19th-21st Winter Storm Part 3

wisconsinwx

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theoretically, with parts of Southern Wisconsin getting into the rain more tomorrow, doesn't that possibly make conditions worse, considering any rain that does fall will quickly freeze once the ground cools below 32 degrees again. Let's say we get 0.3 inches of rain, but within 5 or 6 hours, the ground temps dip back below freezing. Isn't that akin to getting .3 inches of freezing rain? It won't have as much of an impact on power lines, but it will make the roads just as hazardous even with a smaller amount of actual freezing rain.

baro, some action possible in the north platte area...spc says some severe hail but watch unlikely

Yeah they have their hands full down there. I was talking to the MIC about it. But yeah--Tstorms, freezing rain, snow, winds, etc. They get the full slate of weather. Thankfully I wasn't moving this weekend!

From what I'm led to understand, the RGEM is simply a higher resolution version of the GGEM. They're not two completely separate models like the GFS and NAM.

I think they use different parametrizations for precip, clouds, etc since the RGEM is higher res--but the dynamic solver is the same so typically they will look identical.

Stebo...You think the southern counties of SEMI will chew on a the dry slot for an hour or so? Monroe - Wayne?

There is a chance, but that would purely be a nowcasting situation, if what the models are starting to hint at, a low forming in Indiana and moving East the chances of the dryslot poking in are lessened.

the shear is amazing too, ugh.

This is a good sign though for further down the line, case in point the potential with the Thurs/Friday system across the Southern Plains. The more we go along the more the Gulf will recover from the cooler than normal winter in the south.

Archived