Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
FEB 19-20 WIIND EVENT

IsentropicLift

Post talk and observations here for the upcoming wind event

High Wind Watch

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ303 PM EST FRI FEB 18 2011DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-055-060>062-067>071-191000-/O.NEW.KPHI.HW.A.0001.110219T1000Z-110220T0200Z/NEW CASTLE-KENT-INLAND SUSSEX-DELAWARE BEACHES-CECIL-KENT MD-QUEEN ANNES-TALBOT-CAROLINE-SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-ATLANTIC-CAPE MAY-ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY-COASTAL ATLANTIC-COASTAL OCEAN-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...DOVER...GEORGETOWN...REHOBOTH BEACH...ELKTON...CHESTERTOWN...CENTREVILLE...EASTON...DENTON...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON...PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...JACKSON...MILLVILLE...HAMMONTON...CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...OCEAN CITY...ATLANTIC CITY...LONG BEACH ISLAND...WHARTON STATE FOREST...JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...WEST CHESTER...NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA303 PM EST FRI FEB 18 2011...

HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAYEVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A HIGHWIND WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGHSATURDAY EVENING.* LOCATIONS...THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE ENTIRE MOUNT HOLLY FORECAST AREA.

* HAZARDS...GUSTY TO LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS ARE POSSIBLE ON SATURDAY. NUMEROUS TREE LIMBS WILL BE KNOCKED DOWN ALONG WITH WEAKER TREES AND POWER LINES.* WINDS...SUSTAINED NORTHWEST 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.* TIMING...THE HIGHEST WINDS AND GUSTS ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR BETWEEN 10 AM AND 5 PM ON SATURDAY.* IMPACTS...EXPECT POWER OUTAGES. DOWNED TREES AND TREE LIMBS COULD DAMAGE VEHICLES PARKED UNDER THEM. WINDS WILL MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO DRIVE HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A HAZARDOUSHIGH WIND EVENT. SUSTAINED WINDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH...OR GUSTS OF58 MPH OR STRONGER MAY OCCUR. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATESTFORECASTS.&&$$MEOLA/GIGI

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The high wind potential is part of the reason the fire watch is under consideration for far SE PA, MD, DE, parts of Jersey. I'm in Montgomery County, PA and the snow on the ground is still melting here. Ground is soaked (just got wet feet bringing my downed limbs from the last ice event back to my place from my neighbors yard. Due to the wetness we are not included in the watch. It is just south of us.

There are ares that have dried off in regard to surface grass. That has potential to be a problem, but if it is windy and colder than today - you would hope residents don't decide to burn the yard debris. It doesn't take much wind and sun to dry off the surface.

I sent an email to my FD to be cautious in taking trucks (field pieces) off the roads as we will sink - fast. We do give an award for that at our banquet, but it is not too prestigious to be the recipient.

The high wind potential is part of the reason the fire watch is under consideration for far SE PA, MD, DE, parts of Jersey. I'm in Montgomery County, PA and the snow on the ground is still melting here. Ground is soaked (just got wet feet bringing my downed limbs from the last ice event back to my place from my neighbors yard. Due to the wetness we are not included in the watch. It is just south of us.

There are ares that have dried off in regard to surface grass. That has potential to be a problem, but if it is windy and colder than today - you would hope residents don't decide to burn the yard debris. It doesn't take much wind and sun to dry off the surface.

I sent an email to my FD to be cautious in taking trucks (field pieces) off the roads as we will sink - fast. We do give an award for that at our banquet, but it is not too prestigious to be the recipient.

Upgraded to a RFW down here now. If anything at all gets going here tomorrow, we may be in deep doo doo. Doesn't hurt to have a power wagon stationed 2 doors down either, as my neighbor who is in the FD with me, is also a section warden with the NJFFS.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

906 PM EST FRI FEB 18 2011

DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-

055-060>062-067>071-191100-

/O.UPG.KPHI.HW.A.0001.110219T1000Z-110220T0200Z/

/O.NEW.KPHI.HW.W.0001.110219T1000Z-110220T0200Z/

NEW CASTLE-KENT-INLAND SUSSEX-DELAWARE BEACHES-CECIL-KENT MD-

QUEEN ANNES-TALBOT-CAROLINE-SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-

SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM-

GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-

ATLANTIC-CAPE MAY-ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY-COASTAL ATLANTIC-

COASTAL OCEAN-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-

NORTHAMPTON-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...DOVER...GEORGETOWN...

REHOBOTH BEACH...ELKTON...CHESTERTOWN...CENTREVILLE...EASTON...

DENTON...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...FLEMINGTON...

SOMERVILLE...NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON...

PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...

MOUNT HOLLY...JACKSON...MILLVILLE...HAMMONTON...

CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...OCEAN CITY...ATLANTIC CITY...

LONG BEACH ISLAND...WHARTON STATE FOREST...JIM THORPE...

STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...WEST CHESTER...

NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA

906 PM EST FRI FEB 18 2011

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 9 PM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND WARNING. IT IS

IN EFFECT FROM 500 AM UNTIL 900 PM SATURDAY. THE HIGH WIND WATCH

IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...THE HIGH WIND WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHEASTERN

MARYLAND, DELAWARE, MUCH OF EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND MUCH OF NEW

JERSEY.

* HAZARDS...GUSTY TO LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS ARE EXPECTED ON

SATURDAY. NUMEROUS TREE LIMBS AND UTILITY LINES WILL BE KNOCKED

DOWN. A FEW WEAK TREES MAY ALSO FALL.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST SUSTAINED AT 20 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60

MPH.

* TIMING...THE HIGHEST WIND SPEEDS AND GUSTS ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR

BETWEEN 10 AM AND 5 PM ON SATURDAY. HOWEVER, A BRIEF PERIOD OF

GUSTS TO 40 OR 45 MPH IS ANTICIPATED THIS EVENING.

* IMPACTS...WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE. DOWNED TREES

AND TREE LIMBS COULD DAMAGE STRUCTURES AND VEHICLES. THE WINDS

WILL MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO DRIVE HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES,

ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS THAT A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS

EXPECTED. SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH OR GUSTS OF 58

MPH OR MORE CAN LEAD TO PROPERTY DAMAGE.

There's a big hole over this area,as far as reports go...my pole w/annemometer got smashed to smithereens in an icestorm so: Just by the sound of the woods and the shaking of my house and windows I'd say it's ripping up here pretty good and this isn't even when the HWW is for...possible gusts to 60 tomorrow...:twister:

the one i use is upper darby high school which is like .8 miles from my house..

Some schools, not sure about UDHS, put their anemometer on the roof of their building...which is fine if it's a one story building but a lot of schools aren't. Not sure how reliable the wind sensors are on a lot of the weatherbug sites outside of the ASOS/AWOS.

had a gust here at 30mph during past hour...(sheltered location with anemometer on roof) always runs a bit light on wind speed. But anything over 30mph here are high winds. Have seen many branches coming down. Power has flickered but still on. Auto-generator at the ready!

Yeah there are some branches down around here as well good with the generator. I am posting from my iPhone as my power is out

Archived