• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The presidents day storm

tombo82685

well this is pretty shocking, people probably are getting caught off guard. Im in plowing and was preparing for maybe just some presalt now we are looking at a 2-4 inch event possible which really changes everything. I think the public has no clue what they will wake up to tomorrow. There has been very little talk of much more than a nuisance event here and now its turning into something more.

I don't think I'd go 2-4 for Belle Mead just yet... maybe 1-3.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats still plowable for me, i see Mt Holly has not updated their disco yet, their previous one made this event sound so benign and not one that was so uncertain like it is now. I guess they will have to issue some sort of an advisory really soon as the event is 12 hours away from starting. What are we looking at it terms of end time?

Keep in mind folks the road surfaces have warmed quite a bit in the last week, while they may have cooled back some yesterday it will have to snow moderate to heavy for it to accumulate. With longer daylight now they hold the heat better just something to think about. Glad to be back

*However* there is a pretty good potential for at least a bit of sleet and that can muck up the roads pretty quickly since it takes longer to melt.

Keep in mind folks the road surfaces have warmed quite a bit in the last week, while they may have cooled back some yesterday it will have to snow moderate to heavy for it to accumulate. With longer daylight now they hold the heat better just something to think about. Glad to be back

Also, this will be starting at night, not during the day, so that adds to potential for road accumulation.

Added in the EC QPF for round 2 (this is after 0Z Tuesday):

SID  NAM  GFS GGEM  ECM
MPO 0.39 0.01 0.00 0.00
ABE 0.49 0.02 0.01 0.01
RDG 0.53 0.09 0.04 0.03
TTN 0.39 0.04 0.01 0.01
PHL 0.50 0.28 0.07 0.08
ILG 0.52 0.38 0.14 0.22
ACY 0.58 0.37 0.13 0.19
GED 0.36 0.31 0.48 0.52

Central Jersey will be the battle zone for both waves it appears. Almost impossible to predict exactly what is gonna happen here. :unsure: Could go either way.

It sure looks that way for round 1... I can still see less than an inch for TTN, but also more.

Round 2 is iffy... but I'm starting to lean toward a non-event. Not sure yet though.

If you're not FB friends with him you don't see his posts.

The post

Through Tuesday AM: Significant snow and ice event for Lower MI....OH....PA....NJ....N DE....N MD as upper air disturbance interacts with moisture pooling and cold advection from Great Lakes ridge. NYC area will be split in half with no major precipitation above 495.

http://tempest.aos.wisc.edu/wxp_images/eta212_12UTC/eta_c700_h42.gif

very dry airmass in place...current obs here

Temp 38.8

RH 33%

DP 12.2

Looking more likely we will move past 40" for the seasonal snowfall here in the NW burbs by morning

Your sig says you need 1.2" to reach 40, yes?

GFS and GEM would say you have a good shot, NAM and EC not so much... depends on how much precip gets in before you mix over.

Ray

Yep...1.2" - would be surprised if we don't get there by morning...but if not we will likely get there by Tuesday AM. Unlikely we don't see at least 2" between both "events"

Paul

Your sig says you need 1.2" to reach 40, yes?

GFS and GEM would say you have a good shot, NAM and EC not so much... depends on how much precip gets in before you mix over.

Archived