• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Feb '10 Blizzard Stuff

Festus

I'll have to look for some pictures at home.

Memories...took a walk the late morning on the 10th. Blizzard warning was in effect. Combination of snow and wind actually hurt, I repeatedly was turning around and walking backward to shield myself from the elements. Visibilities of just a couple hundred feet...

I got home and watched my then 10 year old son standing on the snow and he was higher than the picture window. I remember commenting to my wife that it was surreal...you see pictures like that in other areas of the country and realize that you'll never experience something like that. And yet, we did.

I was the first one to work the following morning. I got stuck on Rt. #743 three different times trying to navigate through the huge drifts. I got myself out twice, needed some help the other time. Got all of that accomplished in a minivan...

I also learned something about the staying power of snow at that (this) time of year. The air mass as I recall it was only marginally cold behind the storms, but the snow pack really went down quickly after the first day or so. I was thinking we wouldn't get out on the diamond for at least a month or more, I think we were outside in 2 weeks.

I remember reading Eric Horst's column after the storm in December had dropped 18" or more in our area, and him talking about how rare that was so early in the season. As the days approached leading up to 2/5, he cautioned how rare it would be to get a 2nd storm like that. And yet, we did. And just 4 days later, along came #3.

I finished with about 67" for the season. 60" of that came in 3 storms. 42" of that came in 4 days.

Each storm required a north trend later in the game to nail us. And along the southern tier, each time, it happened.

I remember being in a bitter wx mood because we received the shaft of all shafts just 4 days earlier when we had just .2" (Yes 0-point-2, AKA a coating) from a storm that left 2 FEET of snow in Philly.

On the 9th into the very early morning hours of the 10th, it looked like we were on our way to another shaft when SEPA was already getting 6" and we were still getting virga. But the snow made its way up here by midnight on the 10th. By morning, it had intensified and made it to a consistent 1"/hr rate, where it remained from about 9am until it stopped a little after 5-6pm. Although we didn't get the awesome blizzard conditions, we received a respectable 10.5" of snow which snapped our drought of no 6"+ storms which had been ongoing for 3 years.

Of course, 2 weeks later, we had our own snowmageddon.

We went walking along the Susquehanna during the height of the storm -around 11 pm that night.

It was the most awesome walk of my life, except mayyyybe our wedding aisle walk. The drifting was so severe you couldn't see where the bank ended and the river started (normally a good 7 foot dropoff). We ended up in the middle of the Harvey Taylor thinking we were on the Walnut St bridge for a few minutes.

I wouldn't complain if that type of storm happens again soon. ;)

February 10th storm.. during. Pretty much true blizzard conditions in this particular area and I drove through a brief whiteout and a drifted over section of road right after I snapped this. Taking the back way home from State College to Bellwood was nearly a mistake.

post-1507-0-50216900-1297288130.jpg

And i don't know why my some of my iphone pictures refuse to be right side up... drives me bonkers.

Archived