wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February 9-11 Potential

Harbourton

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM is trying as hard as it can to give us a storm. You can see the S/W trying to dig and amplify the trough at hr 30 but the PV is just too supressive. Hr 36 even more so, but the PV is the new "Dr. No". At hr 42, the PV finaly begins to take on more of a SW/NE axis and allows heights to continue to rise ever so slightly. By hr 48, the storm is making its closest approach to our area, and heights are still rising along the coast but its too little too late. Hr 54, the trough really amplifies, but its already well past us. Oh well on this one, NAM gets an A for effort though, that PV just keeps punching us in the nose.

12z NAM hr 48.

nam_850_054s.gif

Its more suppressed than the 0Z run was. Time to give up, me thinks.

The NAM is trying as hard as it can to give us a storm. You can see the S/W trying to dig and amplify the trough at hr 30 but the PV is just too supressive. Hr 36 even more so, but the PV is the new "Dr. No". At hr 42, the PV finaly begins to take on more of a SW/NE axis and allows heights to continue to rise ever so slightly. By hr 48, the storm is making its closest approach to our area, and heights are still rising along the coast but its too little too late. Hr 54, the trough really amplifies, but its already well past us. Oh well on this one, NAM gets an A for effort though, that PV just keeps punching us in the nose.

12z NAM hr 48.

nam_850_054s.gif

Its more suppressed than the 0Z run was. Time to give up, me thinks.

Oh I agree, besides a few clouds and perhaps a flurry or two at the beeches, this storm is beyond dead for our region. I just wanted to point out how the NAM is trying to build something, but the PV is just too dominant.

Am I seeing things, or is the system at day 4 just missing the phase with the PV at hr 96 on the new GFS?

hr 90

gfs_500_090s.gif

hr 96

gfs_500_096s.gif

Looks like it. At least the GFS is showing a nice system off the coast now, rather than a weak wave its been showing the last 4 days. Maybe we still got some time. Dec 19 likee? When it finally phases in the PV 2 days before the storm.

Looks like it. At least the GFS is showing a nice system off the coast now, rather than a weak wave its been showing the last 4 days. Maybe we still got some time. Dec 19 likee? When it finally phases in the PV 2 days before the storm.

This is a different storm. The Thursday storm is weak and shredded out. This one is Saturday.

Wes says don't rely on the GEFS in this time range

Carolinewx,

I've cautioned about using the GEFS precipitation forecasts when you get inside of 72 hrs as the low resolution srpeads the precipitation out allowing the precipitation to come north farther than you'd expect based on the suppressed surface low track that the members are showing. You'd be wiser to look at the 09Z SREF members or when they come out the 15Z sref. The 09Z were quite suppressed. We still have a chance at a dusting but I'd be surprised if we got more than that.

Wes says don't rely on the GEFS in this time range

I was wondering if the lower resolution could be giving a false impression here. There really isn't anywhere crazy to trend with this setup being the way it is, but the GEFS members are showing more of a surface low reflection on the SE coast which I'd believe plays into there being more qpf further north on the 12z set. I think this can still trend to be a nice powdery light snow event for our south NJ brothers, but that would probably be the limit.

Archived