gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
February 9-11 Potential

Harbourton

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW the longer range doesn't appear as bleak. The cold air this winter is proving rather stubborn and we may have some stuff to track after some moderation for a bit. However, can anybody remember a winter where we didn't have at least one warm snap and usually multiple. I noticed on my gas bill this month that the avg temp for this January compared to last was 28.5 F comapred to 33F last year. That's rather distinct.

FWIW the longer range doesn't appear as bleak. The cold air this winter is proving rather stubborn and we may have some stuff to track after some moderation for a bit. However, can anybody remember a winter where we didn't have at least one warm snap and usually multiple. I noticed on my gas bill this month that the avg temp for this January compared to last was 28.5 F comapred to 33F last year. That's rather distinct.

Sounds about right. The January before last was even colder than this past January, though.

Come on dude, you're grasping at straws that aren't there. The best hope is that we get some overrunning garbage out of this. It's not coming up the coast.

Yes I agree, normally at this range if things were going to change we would have one or two models throwing us a bone but its been pretty much locked in. It's just hard to let go of what once was considering whats already happened this year. East coast storm threats at their greatest. I suppose this is better than a lakes cutter or having a bomb miss everyone off to the east but for the first time in a long time, their are no forceable threats on the table.

I don't follow. There is a bit more overrunning on the ensembles, which the models have been trending towards. How does that equal a "massive correction westward?"

I think it's significant to go from nothing to a light snow event. Places further south might cash in big time.You seem pretty determined to downplay this.

That is overrunning, not a coastal. NAM has hinted at this for a bit now. Totally diff setup than the "storm of the century"

It's associated with the same vort energy. I'm not asking for much in a la nina winter.The December 26th system was a complete anomaly to the highest degree. Though, you could blame it on the historically negative NAO aswell.

:snowman:

11/12 members are more amplified than the OP. You could say that many people don't even look at the ensembles so any changes in the OP would be surprising

It's not even more amplified at H5, there is just stronger isentropic lift. I think the trends are good for people, but let's not get carried away.

It's not even more amplified at H5, there is just stronger isentropic lift. I think the trends are good for people, but let's not get carried away.

You know more than I do obviously, was just trying to describe the increased QPF the best I could.

I'll go research isentropic lift now, sounds interesting. It's just the scientific phrase for overrunning, awesome.

You know more than I do obviously, was just trying to describe the increased QPF the best I could.

I'll go research isentropic lift now, sounds interesting.

Isentropic lift is just fancy-science speak for overrunning. It just means the warm advection across the warm front is stronger, leading to upglide and precip.

It's associated with the same vort energy. I'm not asking for much in a la nina winter.The December 26th system was a complete anomaly to the highest degree. Though, you could blame it on the historically negative NAO aswell.

:snowman:

Yes it is, not questioning that at all. It's all WAA . It's just that people have some notion that this is going to turn into a coastal low a run up the coast.

I'm officially throwing in the towel on this one. The models would have to be more wrong on this one than they were for 12/26 if this turns out to be anything more than a few hours of WAA precip, which to be honest looks to miss us to the south.

You can thak JB and others for trumpetting this thing 8 days out with higly questionalbe teleconnections and no model consistency, but hey they are more concerned with website hits than accuracy so we should all learn a lesson there and take some of the blame if we had our hopes up!

You can thak JB and others for trumpetting this thing 8 days out with higly questionalbe teleconnections and no model consistency, but hey they are more concerned with website hits than accuracy so we should all learn a lesson there and take some of the blame if we had our hopes up!

Ehhh, it actually wasn't that far fetched to think this was going to be something with the big high dropping down out of Canada creating a lot of baroclinicity. It's one of the perils of trying to make medium range forecasts (I know my company wasn't the only private outfit starting to chirp late last week - and people better than me here like Don were on board with the pattern). Now, if you are talking about targeting the big cities 8 days out, sure, then I agree. But this storm had a lot of potential that is going to go untapped.

Archived