Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 9-11 Potential

Harbourton

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12/26 was much more of a "will it phase in time or not?" This time its more of a will the storm in the near term completely phase? A consolidated bombing low would not only prevent the left over energy from supressing the heights along the coast in its wake but also alow for the PV to be positioned on more of a SW, NE axis rather than W E. Since the models have done poorly with the northern stream all season, its keeping the glimmer of hope alive but I would say the body is in the coffin, just waiting for the nails.

If I were a betting man, I'd say there is about a 40% chance that the northern stream is going to phase tommorrow in time for one low despite what alot of the models are showing based on the trends today of diving that energy further south and the overall poor performance in handeling the northern stream thus far this season.

Hmm doesn't sound like what earthlight said at all. He said it narrowly misses bringing tne storm right up the coast. So don't know if you or him are correct.

There is a separate wave which the EC develops toward Saturday that it tries to bring up the coast... maybe that's what he was talking about. No other model has something like that. For this threat, the EC is pretty close to the GFS....

Looks like atown may be onto something. It may or may not happen but 00Z gfs ensembles are nw of the op.

Given the setup there is next to zero chance of a coastal IMO. I could possibly see an overrunning type event as the NAM hints at, but I don't see how there could be a coastal solution given the influence of the PV.

There is a separate wave which the EC develops toward Saturday that it tries to bring up the coast... maybe that's what he was talking about. No other model has something like that. For this threat, the EC is pretty close to the GFS....

Correct, Ray

Doesn't the NAM look like it is REALLY trying? I hope these steps continue, but we'll need bigger steps soon.

I agree, Earthlight seems to think that even if the southern stream comes in sharper/stronger than advertised it's not going to be enough to raise heights along the coast significanly enough because the northern stream is still too supressive, but if the models are not forecasting the event in the near term well, that's going to have downstream effects. We shall see, I wouldn't be suprised if the GFS came in closer to getting the job done with both events.

Doesn't the NAM look like it is REALLY trying? I hope these steps continue, but we'll need bigger steps soon.

The NAM is hinting at overrunning potential, which is possible. It's no where near developing any form of cyclogenesis (coastal) low pressure, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for that.

I agree, Earthlight seems to think that even if the southern stream comes in sharper/stronger than advertised it's not going to be enough to raise heights along the coast significanly enough because the northern stream is still too supressive, but if the models are not forecasting the event in the near term well, that's going to have downstream effects. We shall see, I wouldn't be suprised if the GFS came in closer to getting the job done with both events.

Let's hope the GFS continues these small steps. I think we still need this next storm out of the way before giving up.

Not yet, but it's getting close. I don't think the current situation is being modeled very well vs current observations.

For that H5 depiction above you need a world of change to occur in about 36 hrs if you want to see a coastal storm. I can't imagine at approx 84 hrs from said event that every single model having nearly the same solution with next to zero potential at 500 mb being that far off, but I guess one can hope. If things did a complete 180 I'd be the happiest guy on this site, well I am sure there would be lots of grins here!

Take a look at the water vapor loop, it's encouraging to say the least. Energy is diving down through the Rockies and the trough looks fairly sharp.

http://www.nws.noaa....age=wv&hours=24

I don't see much difference as far as how it looks today compared to how it was modeled yesterday. In fact the GFS nailed that stripe of clouds which extends over NV just about perfectly.

Take a look at the water vapor loop, it's encouraging to say the least. Energy is diving down through the Rockies and the trough looks fairly sharp.

http://www.nws.noaa....age=wv&hours=24

Here is the GFS 12Z at 6hrs for today:

gfs_500_006m.gif

Looks very much like the loop you are currently advertising, models are handling things rtather well right now form what I can see and this trough will change tremendously in two days once that PV you can see on your WV loop slides down from Canada.

Archived