joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 9-11 Potential

Harbourton

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until we get some blocking back up in Greenland the I-95 corridor down here is going to suffer from a lot of snow to heavy rain events. Nina is fully flexing its muscles and we're now seeing climo for such a strong one. Winter in northern DE is effectively over after the first week of March so we are quickly running out of time......not sure we're going to see another significant storm unless this pattern flips quick.

Until we get some blocking back up in Greenland the I-95 corridor down here is going to suffer from a lot of snow to heavy rain events. Nina is fully flexing its muscles and we're now seeing climo for such a strong one. Winter in northern DE is effectively over after the first week of March so we are quickly running out of time......not sure we're going to see another significant storm unless this pattern flips quick.

This last event I had rain, hardly what I call heavy with sleet mixed in. How about March 1993 I had around 17 inches and April Fool's day 1997..I had around 8 inches on that one. I blieve back in March 1958 Northern Delaware had 18 to over 25 inches and that was on the first day of spring!

oh the usual inland runner signals....phasing with a misplaced ridge off the W US coast and or extending into Cali and no blocking

do you guys really think this will be snowstorm anywhere east of p-burg?

Do you really think this will be a rainstorm in State College?

Personally, I have no idea if this will be rain, snow, ice, a brief thundershower, locusts or frogs. It's an event that has some potential at this point. Trying to determine the exact track and p-type is an exercise for next week.

Do you really think this will be a rainstorm in State College?

Personally, I have no idea if this will be rain, snow, ice, a brief thundershower, locusts or frogs. It's an event that has some potential at this point. Trying to determine the exact track and p-type is an exercise for next week.

I'd favor that and or a sloppy mess over a snowstorm for them.

I here ya though, a threat is a threat, no matter how dismal.

This threat definitely has some legs and solutions vary from hardly nothing to an inland track to a perfect BM track right now. Lots of supports on the ops, the GEFS, the Euro, and the ens members (havent looked at GGEM, UKIE, or NGP yet). Not sure why people are getting hung up on exact track and precip types right now considering this is over a week away and we've seen how much models can swing within 36 hours of an event.

This system certainly has my interest piqued in that some guidance is supporting a very potent system. Any time the Euro and other globals are this strong (sub 980mb?) this far out, something big is usually brewing. The details can be worked out this week.

JB 3pm... he is working on this now...TITLE OF NEXT POST: IS THE REAL BLIZZARD OF THE CENTURY COMING NEXT WEEK?

Man, I really admire this guys predictions. First he says record heat and winter is over by February 14 and in his next blog he says a blizzard of the century coming? He is pulling a real fast one here. If the blizzard falls through, he cannot be faulted for saying it was the next heat wave that caused it. Gimme me a break. Playing both sides of the forecast. NOWS THATS UNPROFESSIONAL IN MY EYES. His credibility is going downhill

18Z GFS at 132 hours looks like another SWFE....SE ridge is flat/non-existent with the PV in essentially the same spot as the Feb 1 ice storm. Not saying I buy it, but that's the setup it shows verbatim at H5.

Then at 156 it goes to this stick of ignited dynamite:

gfs_500_156m.gif

As others have stated....HP is off the coast pulling away. Not the best of setups but we'll see.

Sorry but in northern DE I had rain with heavier rain mixed in this past storm and I think I'll see more of that this weekend and next week.

You're giving me 3 example over the past 53 years as proof to refute my claim that winter is essentially over IMBY after the first week of March? Actually the Superstorm and April Fool's days events were run of the mill here really....I'm not even sure we got snow in 1997. Remember I'm talking about my backyard here.....its ova' come March 8th normally.

This last event I had rain, hardly what I call heavy with sleet mixed in. How about March 1993 I had around 17 inches and April Fool's day 1997..I had around 8 inches on that one. I blieve back in March 1958 Northern Delaware had 18 to over 25 inches and that was on the first day of spring!

JB did a special Big Dog tonight since he is out tomorrow... quick highlights:

Has never seen a winter week in February before that’s coming next week…. way below normal temp’s country wide.

Was looking back 50 years.

Was looking at superstorms of past ’66, ’93, ‘78

Very hyped up about next week with how similar storms look.

The week of all weeks of winter next week.

Warm-up coming following week.

i hope JB is right but from what i read both LC and DT say it will be great for the midwest and not the east coast

Given the location of high pressure to the east and the ridge over the NE Pac/trough into the SW, I'd say running up the Apps is more likely than up the coast. What you'd really like to see is a shortwave dropping down out of Canada to phase with the system and push it farther west - and given the trends this year, I'd say this is not out of the question.

didnt jb just saw the other day that the biggest snow of the winter for the big east coast cities has already occurred? ???

JB did a special Big Dog tonight since he is out tomorrow... quick highlights:

Has never seen a winter week in February before that’s coming next week…. way below normal temp’s country wide.

Was looking back 50 years.

Was looking at superstorms of past ’66, ’93, ‘78

Very hyped up about next week with how similar storms look.

The week of all weeks of winter next week.

Warm-up coming following week.

Archived