amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Febuary 9-11 threat

Allsnow

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least it seems to be trending in the right direction. That's all we can ask for at this point!

Well, technically it trended away from it's 12z run which was snowy...but it's a completely better look when compared to the GFS...it's very close to producing a big storm for the entire I-95 corridor.

144 hours it slips just East of the BM and never gets too far north. But honestly...everybody is 50-100 miles from missing a gigantic CCB with huge QPF.

Cool run.

I think this fits the trends of the season perfectly. We still do not know what's going on but it looks very promising.

WX/PT

Well, technically it trended away from it's 12z run which was snowy...but it's a completely better look when compared to the GFS...it's very close to producing a big storm for the entire I-95 corridor.

I dont know if this is entirely psychological or not, but I always feel there is much more hope when a storm is progged to miss us slightly to the east than if it's progged to miss us slightly to the west. These kinds of trends seem easier to correct.... perhaps because storms usually amplify a bit more than what global models show at this time range.

I dont know if this is entirely psychological or not, but I always feel there is much more hope when a storm is progged to miss us slightly to the east than if it's progged to miss us slightly to the west. These kinds of trends seem easier to correct.... perhaps because storms usually amplify a bit more than what global models show at this time range.

If the storm is going to cut west, its usually pretty obvious as was last weeks storm.

Your last point is the key here. The global models usually won't catch on to the major amplification at this lead time, which is why historically when storms are forecasted to be to our south and east at this time frame, they have a tendency to back west. Unless you're the GGEM...that thing can wrap a surface low over Pittsburgh even with 250kt westerly wind at 500mb.

If the storm is going to cut west, its usually pretty obvious as was last weeks storm.

It usually shows up that way on the Euro with the GFS usual SE bias giving east coasters hope (which is what the last storm did.) Actually that storm kept cutting further and further west on the models as they corrected for the increased amount of amplification that was indicated. I think storms tend to (usually) verify a bit west of model progs at this time range, especially when you have a huge thermoclinic zone just off the east coast with abnormally warm water (the reason we've been seeing so many bombs this winter.)

Trying to extrapolate the 84 hr NAM, which is dangerous to attempt, but it does dive the northern stream energy diving down strongly from Canada and it definitely looks to me that it will meet up with the southern stream energy coming out of the west. Don't know what exactly this means in the end though. Any thoughts anyone?

post-1914-0-73384700-1296917542.gif

Just read JB's SAT AM POST . This dude is full of it. He keeps calling for an end to winter. How many times can he revise his forecast and then take credit for being right. I paid for his sight years ago and he did make some bold predictions that came to fruition but then he started making some major bust. I finally caught on to his hype machine. I just got a free trial and I see he is still at. I think he is a fraud. His buddy HM is one of the worst forecasters I have e Ed seen. How many times does he start off by saying the storm didn't get as strong as I thought it would or it snowed west of where I thought it would. And how many times can one change his snow maps?

Just read JB's SAT AM POST . This dude is full of it. He keeps calling for an end to winter. How many times can he revise his forecast and then take credit for being right. I paid for his sight years ago and he did make some bold predictions that came to fruition but then he started making some major bust. I finally caught on to his hype machine. I just got a free trial and I see he is still at. I think he is a fraud. His buddy HM is one of the worst forecasters I have e Ed seen. How many times does he start off by saying the storm didn't get as strong as I thought it would or it snowed west of where I thought it would. And how many times can one change his snow maps?

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/12572-what-does-insert-the-person-you-are-asking-about-say-about-the-storm/

the short wave in the south on monday night needs to phase with the energy in the northern plains... blowing up a coastal and leaving less energy behind to compress the height field. the gfs is less phased than the euro, and you can see the short wave over the upper great lakes on tuesday creating a very fast flow beneath it. this doesn't allow the short wave moving east out of the southern rockies to amplify enough. our best case would be a euro like scenario, where strong energy comes out of the west, but doesn't phase with the polar vortex. this way, there's less chance for it to cut west

the idea of a compressed height field is winning. i don't like the recent trends

Archived