• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Febuary 9-11 threat

Allsnow

site is not updated yet through 120hrs over the east but through 96 it doesn't show much, except one, and that is the storm which set the stage for PDII.

http://www.eas.slu.e...COSN&sort=FINAL

The CIPS analogs had problems running after F060 today. We had missing grids that are used to find the analogs after F060. We are working on a fix for this (i.e., get data from another source if ours is incomplete) but have not had time to implement it yet. Hopefully things will be back to normal on tonight's 00z run.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CIPS analogs had problems running after F060 today. We had missing grids that are used to find the analogs after F060. We are working on a fix for this (i.e., get data from another source if ours is incomplete) but have not had time to implement it yet. Hopefully things will be back to normal on tonight's 00z run.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/thumbnails.php?reg=CENT&model=GFS212&fhr=060&flg=new&map=COSN&sort=FINAL

02/11/06 is the #1 analog over the Oh Valley through the Gulf at 60 hours...other than that no support on that frame for a big storm.

00z gfs still a miss, but the trends are what count at this timerange, and from 18z, its a whole lot better.

The evolution from 126-132 hours is crazy...I don't know what the GFS is doing, it tries to lose the Gulf low and develop a coastal over NC...this ultimately speeds everything up and prevents the northern wave from having any chance to phase...ultimately I think if we don't get that crazy jump from 126-132 we get a big storm at 138-144 hours because the northern stream probably catches that developing Gulf low.

All that you really need to do is look at the setup at H5 and know that plenty of potential exists. Man if that pattern depicted comes even remotely close to verifying, one could argue it is very favorable for an east coast snowstorm.

The evolution from 126-132 hours is crazy...I don't know what the GFS is doing, it tries to lose the Gulf low and develop a coastal over NC...this ultimately speeds everything up and prevents the northern wave from having any chance to phase...ultimately I think if we don't get that crazy jump from 126-132 we get a big storm at 138-144 hours because the northern stream probably catches that developing Gulf low.

The GFS loves shearing out southern stream waves. And it will do that especially in a very sharp height gradient trough pattern like this one.

Yea I find it funny it has the northern shortwave just kind of 'chilling' in Canada, don't buy it. Such a depiction at H5 would favor the northern shortwave being forced under the confluence and phasing into the base of the trough drawing the southern shortwave north and resulting in the formation of a coastal storm. But it would be dumb to quibble over the GFS depiction, based on the representation at 500mb, the signal is strong and favorable for an east coast snowstorm. Just need the components to come together.

If the GFS makes the nothern low stronger we will see coastal rain. As shown here you can see the low over Sudbury OT forces the high into a very bad position. I would trust the ECMWF runs much better at this time.

gfs_ten_138s.gif

Such a solution makes no sense however, it is unreasonable to assume that the northern shortwave will cut right up into the confluence, more likely it phases into the system. That is more like what the EURO shows, which I feel is handling the interaction of the shortwaves better, based on the setup.

Such a solution makes no sense however, it is unreasonable to assume that the northern shortwave will cut right up into the confluence, more likely it phases into the system. That is more like what the EURO shows, which I feel is handling the interaction of the shortwaves better, based on the setup.

That's pretty much what he said ;)

NOGAPS continues to be way suppressed off the SE Coast...probably good given it nailed the last few events which were quite far west.

SG what do you think of the trend of the GFS so far? Don put up a nice animated loop of the past three runs to show the trend; it sounds like most are upbeat about the potential for this event.

GFS did look really close, it almost seems confused with what to do with all of this. Still big potential.

Yup, all that counts at this time is the trend. You can make a convincing argument that you dont want a direct "hit" at this time frame anyway, since the solution is likely to change.

The GFS initially had the most recent Midwest Blizzard as an EC snow event. Over time, it trended west. The GFS will pick up in initial S/W's globally, show signicant EC events, and then lose them in the 4-6 day period, only to trend back to major EC event. It's rather typical.

Archived