Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 5-6 Threat

jrodd321

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 204 hrs it has a sub 984mb low well off the Delmarva with light snow back throughout our area. Moderate snow hugging the S Jersey Coast and Easter tip of LI.

very nice pbp.....euro just misses us at hr 210...might be fantasy land...but seems like models want to form some type of costal next week...

I am starting to get the feeling that something HUGE is going to happen the middle of next week, the models just have not figured out the details yet.

Yeah. Usually in this time frame you will see models with multiple vortices and shortwaves and as we approach the timeframe, they consolidate into something more organzed.

Euro also has the NAO going slightly negative in the time frame that the storm threats are showing.

Great to see 2 threats on all models. This Saturday and something middle to end of next week.

Three snow threats on the euro thru 200 hrs in a so called "horrible pattern".. ok il take it, the cold air is there for some fun

As it relates to sensible weather it really is no different than what we've seen all winter long for the most part. Patterns may be different/more favorable/less favorable but an outcome of cold and snow just seems to want to persist.

I'd rather have the storm OTS than either plain rain or ice.

That being said, I still think there are at least minor impacts in the PHL and NYC areas from this storm.

It can be OTS 25-30 miles off the coast with the Canadian HP giving us the cold air at all levels. We should be fine then. That will probably leave LI and the Jersey shore with a mix and NYC and points west with the snow, but it is not really looking like much of an Arctic front. Temps in the 30's is not a Arctic front. The trend seems to be this way through next Tuesday when we may see another costal. I just do not see enough cold air and no blocking. Im thinking a zonal pattern with occasional Canadian air.

why? Please explain? is this a wishcast or is there some semblance of met backing?

I agree with him although I think the MAJOR threat is in the 10-14 day range. Teleconections are becoming favorable, the cold air is available, and the storm pattern remains active. As has been the case for most of the year, we don't need everything to fall perfectly into place to get a SECS, but the signals are growing.

Is it conceivable to say that perhaps the people calling for a significant warmup, or February becoming huge for midwest cold and snow...could very well end up being wrong again??? I mean i know it's easy to say we are going to get milder (it's been so called so far this winter, pretty much anything else is "milder" ), but I see posts saying the NAO is going negative again soon, AO is going negative and the west coast ridge will pop up strong again. ALthough i'm nothing more than an amateur, that sounds like a cold and snowy period to me. If i'm missing something, please I'd appreciate the valuable input from all the intelligent mets and hobbyists on this board :)

flooding with temperatures in the mid 30's??

Nothing is going to flood any time soon. That snowpack is now jam packed with 4-7"+ water in some spots. I sampeled my yard yesterday before the ice. The top 10-12" was not so bad, probably solid ice now thanks to the ice storm I just had. The bottom 12"+ was a solid block of ice. Now I probably have 24"+ of solid ice with a nice layer of sleet to top it all off. it's going to take temps well up into the 40's for a few days to really have an impact. Once the snow begins to melt, it will begin to runoff into the reservoir's and rivers initially leading to small rises. If the warm up continues and the snow continues to melt, now we are really setting the stage for a big problem. Of course, every bomb needs a fuse and without a major rain event to go along with the snowmelt the effects would be minimal. However, the typical storm pattern in March-April is through the Mississippi river valley and mid-level lows have a tendency to close off and pump moisture northward as was the case last March. If we get a 2-3" widespread rainfall either during the height of the snowmelt or shortly after flood zones are in serious trouble. As we saw in 2010, you don't need to have a large snowpack still on the ground when the rain hits, by that time the TNT is already stacked waiting for ignition.

850's crash at hr 78 and alot of places go back over to moderate snow such as Philly/NNJ

Nah, surface temps are still too warm at 78:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevpage=Param&MainPage=indexℑ=&page=Param&cycle=02%2F02%2F2011+18UTC&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=10m_wnd_precip&model=NAM&area=NAMER&cat=&areaDesc=North+America+-+US%2C+Canada%2C+and+northern+Mexico&fcast=02%2F02%2F2011+18UTC+078HR

I still think this has the potential to be a moderate snowfall just to the northwest of I-95. It's very close, about 30 miles further east and a stronger low would do the trick. Also, seeing as though these models (NAM, GFS, Euro) miserably failed with the temp. profiles for this last storm, there's nothing saying that this isn't being modeled cold enough.

Nah, surface temps are still too warm at 78:

http://mag.ncep.noaa...011+18UTC+078HR

I still think this has the potential to be a moderate snowfall just to the northwest of I-95. It's very close, about 30 miles further east and a stronger low would do the trick. Also, seeing as though these models (NAM, GFS, Euro) miserably failed with the temp. profiles for this last storm, there's nothing saying that this isn't being modeled cold enough.

maybe a heavy wet snow? sv snow maps have 2-4 for nyc, more to the NW..we need that low more east and H5 doesnt look to appetizing.

Archived