• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OV Winter Storm Threat for February 2-3

dilly84

We picked up 3.5 inches of sleet and 1/2 inch ice accretion. Road conditions are about the worst I have seen them in some time, especially for sleet, as the freezing rain on top of the sleet has created concrete ice on all secondary roadways. Road crews have been working for hours and can't even begin to get the ice/sleet compact removed. Power outages reported across the area with numerous trees/powerlines/power poles down. I still have power fortunately.

post-783-0-77221700-1296654178.jpg

post-783-0-46176000-1296654184.jpg

post-783-0-56036700-1296654190.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news is our power came back on at about 800 this morning. Looks like a lot of the ice melted off of the trees. Last night there was easily 3/4" before I wen to bed with transformers blowing every few minutes. Light powdery snow blowing around now. I must admit this was not "epic" by any means! The ice storm I was in when living in kansas a few years ago dwarfed this. We were without power for about 8 days and had to move the family into army barracks until they lost power and then just took a trip to stay with family. It was a little fun to track and watch though.

WTF... amazing it got up to 40 while just a few counties east and west remained under freezing. That thin line of warm air always makes it to CLE. Hopefully the cold comes crashing in soon. Just checked CLE's obs and they have been above freezing for 5 hours -- just what the models showed.

Roads were fine this morning. All in all another cry wolf and wussification of storm threats event. When was the last time CLE had a true 6" synoptic storm? Has to be at least 2 years. January 2009 maybe?

Good thing we got the WAA snows Monday night, otherwise this would have been misery.

Roads were fine this morning. All in all another cry wolf and wussification of storm threats event. When was the last time CLE had a true 6" synoptic storm? Has to be at least 2 years. January 2009 maybe?

Good thing we got the WAA snows Monday night, otherwise this would have been misery.

You guys see the radar? Pretty lit up right now. I am thinking we get more than an inch out of this.

Its been awhile since we've had a good synoptic storm. This would have been a complete bust without the front end stuff. Was there a lot of melting last night? Radar is starting to fill in... 1-3 today looks possible.

I'm supposed to fly into MDW tonight then to CLE... not looking good. MDW is a disaster. :arrowhead:

Its been awhile since we've had a good synoptic storm. This would have been a complete bust without the front end stuff. Was there a lot of melting last night? Radar is starting to fill in... 1-3 today looks possible.

I'm supposed to fly into MDW tonight then to CLE... not looking good. MDW is a disaster. :arrowhead:

Not much melting. Snow has thick crust on it. Some lighter snows now, nothing major.

Have had a VERY difficult time sleeping due to the crashing of melting ice falling on the rooftop. VERY happy to see that the branches appear to be melting prior to windy conditions getting in here. I may yet keep my power on afterall!!

was that CRAZY or what!! we lost power, came on very late. Woke up around 3 or 4 it sounded like the house was being bombarded by rocks. My kids were freaking out. It took me awhile, in all my grogginess, to finally figure out it was ice chunks blowing off the trees. I can't imagine what it would have been like for people who live in wooded lots...wow. We had some tree damage. I haven't been out and about but looks like our neighbors did as well. VERY FORTUNATE we got above freezing enough to get most of the ice off the trees before this morning as windy as it is now.

Well most of the ice melted over night but not before lots of of tree limbs being down. Thanfully we warmed up or we would of had a hot mess on our hands this morning. I am thankful we got our dead tree cut down this fall or I would be with the insurance company right now assessing house damage. No way that tree would of made it with all the dead weak wood on it. We now watch the weekend storm and the models are still in a cluster on that one. Should get a good handle on that one in the next 24-36 hours. Then we got next Monday-Tuesday.....

We never get blocking highs over Quebec or atlantic Canada anymore... that's why we can't big storms. There's always low pressure there when a big storm is approaching. If you look at the April 1901 and November 1950 storms, you'd find big blocking highs that were so strong they forced the storms to stall and move northwest. When's the last time we've seen a storm move from the southeast coastal plain or along the Apps and then track northwest? I can't remember a single storm ever moving northwest in this part of the country... I've seen it in New England and eastern Canada.

4.1" here Monday night into Tuesday morning of snow with sleet mixed in at times. 0.7" of sleet last night before we got .1-.2" of zr before the main precip shield moved east and temps rose above freezing. I really for some reason don't feel like this was a bust here. Some people may disagree with me but it was obvious a good two days out that the main event would come in as mixed precip (a few short range models did hint at a little more snow for the lake shore, but in the end they were wrong). And if you were driving last night between about 8 and 3 or 4 you would feel differently, everything, even main roads became sheets of ice once the sleet went over to freezing rain.

Columbus, Dayton and northern Cincy folks should consider their selves very lucky today. That warm surge saved a major disaster for lots of us. If it wasn't for that warm up that wind of knocked out power to pretty much everyone and we would have had tons of damage from fallen trees. It would have been bad and could have rivaled Ike...... He basically dodged a bullet....

Columbus, Dayton and northern Cincy folks should consider their selves very lucky today. That warm surge saved a major disaster for lots of us. If it wasn't for that warm up that wind of knocked out power to pretty much everyone and we would have had tons of damage from fallen trees. It would have been bad and could have rivaled Ike...... He basically dodged a bullet....

This! I was stuck at work and around 1am I was pretty concerned as it was not warming up much yet and tree limbs were coming down, cars covered in thick ice-and by 6am not only were the trees pretty much ice free, but all of the heavy ice was off the cars-had nearly all melted off. We were very lucky.

Mostly minor tree damage here. The largest tree limb I lost at home landed right where my car would have been if I had been at home instead of work. I had to drag it into the yard to park my car. My brother in Columbus is still without power. My cable, internet and land line phone just came back on-Time Warner really sucks! Also I had a nice 37 hours at work-will leave me with a good 60 hours plus this week- time and a half is a good thing!

Bring on the next storm, and make is snow this time!

Archived