Indystorm
Members-
Posts
5,310 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by Indystorm
-
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
Indystorm replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
If this trough pattern sets up now, how long would it usually last? Wouldn't it break down by the time of spring svr season? -
I still have the great white hope at least for one storm this season in the Calumet, but must admit after the tornadoes in AL and FL I am starting to whet the whistle for svr season.
-
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2
Indystorm replied to Chicago Storm's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
Glad to hear the report and that it should melt by early afternoon. I used to live in Fortville for six years. -
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2
Indystorm replied to Chicago Storm's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
When I lived in central In just ne of Indpls for six years I always got into climate mode for ice storms as we turned the corner from Jan. into Feb. as being par for the course. -
Jan 24-26th Potential Something Part 2
Indystorm replied to Chicago Storm's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
That FRAM map is scary for areas just south of the Calumet region....half inch of ice with possible 40 mph winds.....ouch! -
Thanks for all your good local reports Hoosier. As I look west out of my apartment window here in Griffith I concur with your observations. Am hoping that we luck out up here and not have concerns with wind and power outages like southern parts of the area are now reporting. Never had an accident in snow but have had one due to freezing rain a couple years ago down in Indpls. I see many reports of quarter to .3 inch of ice across central IL.
-
Is this February? Are we talking about ice already at Chi town area latitude? Where is the snow? Gonna be an interesting week for sure.
-
That's why I've always been thankful for nerds in whatever field of endeavor.
-
Gonna take some time getting used to the new NWS radar site. Have to play around with its features a bit.
-
Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends. We can certainly use some light in our darkness and some white on the ground.
-
Yes, this shows you what we can do when we prioritize something and throw money at it in proper amounts. Wish we could do this for other pressing needs world wide, but competing self interests will usually block the achievement.
-
I certainly agree that massive public education rather than mandatory law is the way to go to be most persuasive. But don't we already mandate some proof of vaccination for some diseases in order have children enrolled in some public schools?
-
I lost my biological grandmother at 32 years of age in Pittsburgh in Oct. 1918 to that flu pandemic. As I mentioned pages earlier in this thread John Barry's book "The Great Influenza" is a sobering read with many parallels to what is happening today politically wrt how the disease is being handled or mishandled by authorities.
-
Saw an AP article today that said Mercy Hospital in Springfield MO is using a mobile morgue that had not been used since the Joplin tornado back in 2011.
-
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
Indystorm replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
Even Tom Skilling briefly mentioned a possible storm with phase this evening. Had to go to this site to see what he was referencing. Guess it's time to buy a snow shovel for the winter. -
Yes, I certainly admire Tom Skilling's weight loss following his surgery as well as all his meteorological skills.
-
Hope you soon feel better, and remember there are such viruses as the common cold and other rhinoviruses still around. Have you ever been out to a restaurant since March as of yet?
-
I just feel so angry at this time. And I do what therapists advise, such as pounding a pillow, yelling for a designated amount of minutes, taking a brisk walk. I also feel frustrated, particularly when I skype or talk with extended family members that still say the virus is no worse than the flu and direct me to a number of fake news websites to prove their point. The failure of political leadership to help ease a transition which could save many lives is also depressing. What has happened in this country to make people so gullible and suspicious of science and facts? Psychologists tell us that when we challenge a person's previously held worldview we are dealing with the fulcrum of the human mind and we seek out people and sites that will reinforce our prior assumptions. Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin and Freud brought us new revelations about the universe and ourselves. There are some who still think we never sent astronauts to the moon. I've had both a scientific and theological background in my professional training and I respect insights from both fields of knowledge. But it grieves and angers me particularly wrt this pandemic that people cannot take a clue from the "greatest generation" who willingly sent their sons and daughters off to war and faced rationing of food, fuel, and other materials for the common good of the nation in a patriotic effort, and so many of us say this pandemic is not as severe as we think and quibble about wearing masks.
-
With high helicity in the tor watch area....700...these storms are going to spin as they move east. Key to whether or not they produce may be moisture and low level lapse rates.
-
First tornado warning for Missouri for this Saturday evening episode. BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO 620 PM CST SAT NOV 14 2020 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SPRINGFIELD HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... CENTRAL NEWTON COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN MISSOURI... * UNTIL 645 PM CST. * AT 620 PM CST, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER SENECA, OR 12 MILES SOUTHEAST OF BAXTER SPRINGS, MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH. HAZARD...TORNADO AND PING PONG BALL SIZE HAIL. SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION. IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE TO ROOFS, WINDOWS, AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS LIKELY. * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... NEOSHO... SENECA... GRANBY... DIAMOND... WENTWORTH... RITCHEY... RACINE...
-
The lowest estimate of world wide deaths from the 1918 flu pandemic is 21 million, when world population was less than a third of today....675,000 deaths in America. Source....John Barry's "The Great Influenza," a very good historical read. My take is that there is a divide between those who want to get the economy going at all costs and let the virus chips fall where they may and those who believe the government has a role in public health to restrict certain freedoms in the interest of greater good, such as gas, food, and other types of rationing during WWII.
-
Just heard on WGN tv news that Gov. Holcomb is activating the national guard to assist at nursing homes since over half of the deaths have occurred there. They will not be performing medical duties but will assist with clerical and screening activities to relieve some of the burden on these courageous first responders who have been dealing with the stress of caring for all these months. Don't know if this is just in selected counties or statewide for nursing homes in Indiana.
-
And met students and scientists can use Delta for some interesting doctoral dissertations in the future. A very perplexing and surprising hurricane.
-
Moderately Unstable, you are superb in your contributions to this board with very reasoned explanations. I had an earth science degree with a smattering of met courses decades ago and am deeply appreciative for your input here. Keep up the good work. From what happened to Delta yesterday I think we're into nowcasting.
