Jump to content

Indystorm

Members
  • Posts

    5,310
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Indystorm

  1. I definitely support the precautions being taken. But it is part of the psychological need to feel like we are in control. I remember in elementary school having nuclear war drills (not tornado drills) where we would sit under our desk for protection. LOL.
  2. As others have said, thanks for all your hard work maintaining our food supply line. It takes all of us in this fight.
  3. Hopefully only until the end of the month from what I have read. We've been directed to cancel our worship services here at least through Easter. Large churches can use live streaming. I'm sending e mail devotions to parishioners and calling seniors asking if they need groceries, things from the drug store, etc. Tough not being able to visit parishioners in hospital or nursing home but relying on phone calls.
  4. Just read that Indpls public library will close for an indefinite period and join other public libraries that are closing across the state after Sat, March 14 regular hours. I expect museums and movie theaters to eventually follow suit. I have read that Illinos is closing all casinos for the rest of the month of March. I intend to take this time to get out on nice days to my city, county, and state parks and nature preserves and hike during my free time. Good for the body, soul, and one's mental state in this crisis.
  5. And for the Darwin award......a friend told me he overheard a patron telling someone not to drink Corona beer because of....you guessed it. In all seriousness.
  6. Just read on CNN site that both Disneyland and Disneyworld are closing. Have a relative who was supposed to travel with the Highland IN band and orchestra at the end of next week to perform at the park and tour Universal as well. She's gonna be one very disappointed gal.
  7. I think this may be the first EF-4 tornado of the year.
  8. Tornado warnings out now in se Nebraska. Watch may be forthcoming this Tuesday afternoon and evening Oct. 1.
  9. I'm ashamed of NOAA for throwing their NWS colleagues under the bus. President Trump exhibits a severe narcissistic personality disorder with an ego that refuses to let him admit he is human and can make a mistake. This disorder can explain all of his tweets, discounts of others, and love of adjectives like great, wonderful, best, superb, etc. "I alone can fix it." The behavior is putting our country at risk. I'm also ashamed of many of my professional psychological and mental health colleagues for refusing to highlight this disorder for what it is. They don't do so because of what is known as the "Goldwater rule," which essentially affirms that unless you have personally examined a client you cannot make a formal diagnosis. Trump's actions and tweets are a matter of public record. And now for an agency like NOAA to put politics ahead of science is infuriating.
  10. Perhaps....but those of us who are Midwesterners hold scientist/storm chaser Tim Samaras, killed in the May 2013 El Reno OK tornado in high esteem. His passion must have been a little crazy too.
  11. Those of us who have been around here awhile know of many of Josh's previous hurricane adventures. I have always appreciated his courage and reporting. I was really worried for him this time, Patricia notwithstanding. Good news!
  12. I am actually concerned regarding when watches and warnings will be posted, although I understand the meteorological hesitancy. My concern is that Florida is a long state. Time will be needed for evacuations northward and also preps for those who do not have transportation to evacuate.
  13. The ERTAF researchers are talking about the period from May 19-25 in tonight's outlook as being synoptically similar to historically significant May tornado outbreaks.
  14. Confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado over Columbus MS. City of 24,000 people
  15. Confirmed tornado near Burnsville MS heading for Lauderdale county Alabama
  16. Several svr storms breaking out now in Arkansas and MiS with one tor warned cell in Yazoo County and still no radar polygons for warnings. Not acceptable.
  17. Warning that the Audubon Dam is about to fail just nw of Oxford Mississippi to impact areas downstream in North Point Subdivision
  18. But it's all going into the lower Ohio Valley from PAH on sw to the MS.
  19. Posting here as well as in the svr thread....I am not seeing any svr wx polygons showing up on ANY NWS radar in the affected region....I first called Memphis to let them know but only got a recording saying they were open during business hours M-F. This needs to be corrected for an upcoming possibly very dangerous day in the affected area. Flood warnings show up but not svr.
  20. I tried calling MEG NWS to let them know their severe warning polygons are NOT showing up on the NWS radar. Flood warnings are depicted, but not svr. Only got a recorded phone message that they have weekday hours. Possibly some of you can help notify them for this upcoming dangerous afternoon.
  21. May be a very dangerous day for both flooding and tornadoes across the mid south today.
  22. I would presume a rock or mudslide across the highway in the park.
  23. Yes, it is usually the NAM that tends to go overboard on CAPE values on occasion. Your posted map surprises me.
  24. Well, what do you know> ERTAF puts up a map for week 2 outlook graphic right in the heart of tornado alley from TX north to Kansas. First time they've felt confident enough to post a map in awhile.
×
×
  • Create New...