I mean what is getting rid of 566 out of ~4000 but dismantling? It's been a miserable stretch since February, and I haven't even had it as bad as some other offices.
Thankfully tremendous public support and pressure from Congress has granted us that public safety exemption and the ability to hire back 450 positions. However that is going to come with pretty radical changes to the structure of the NWS as well. What those will be is above my pay grade, but there is more coming (not all bad necessarily).
My general feel for this is that NWS knew budgets weren't ever going to get appreciably bigger. They created a plan to reorganize the operations model. The election happened and DOGE came in with a sledgehammer and forced the NWS to pause reorganization because they lacked the staff to do it the way they had planned. Now based on briefing the right people we have the okay to move forward with reorganization as long as we can get staffing back up. I don't have hard evidence of that, but I have enough pieces of information to put that together.