wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Upstate NY / North Country Winter 2010 Thread 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Kulaginman in another thread:

Hope that is what you are talking about?

That explains the radar thing, thanks. The satelite image on the national weather service site still has me confused .Maybe it's showing the cold air movement. but there is a void ( I don't know what else to call it) Im thinking it is the cold air coming in behind the storm still up in the maritimes.

The secondary LP in SNE seems to be getting it's act together...creating a precipitation shield over ENY and WNE. It's a nice surprise.

its been a steady light snow here for a couple hours enough to whiten the pavement and the grass. i'm hoping to squeeze out an inch or two by tomorrow morning. It definitely looks more organized to the north around GFL.

Seems like better echoes are backing southwest somewhat toward me. -SN here and 16F. Maybe .3 or .4 coating.

its been a steady light snow here for a couple hours enough to whiten the pavement and the grass. i'm hoping to squeeze out an inch or two by tomorrow morning. It definitely looks more organized to the north around GFL.

The only thing that survived the ugly thaw around here are the drifts....but at least we are coated again. I think late next weekend could be big for ENY.

Yeah...it looks like it's consolidating into a nice area of moderate snow. We'll have to wait and see how this evolves, but the further north you are the more time the LP has to get organized. It looks good on Sat and WV.

The only thing that survived the ugly thaw around here are the drifts....but at least we are coated again. I think late next weekend could be big for ENY.

I really hope your right. I like what the models are currently showing and I think theres definitely room for the system to come west..especially if that PV drops down and phases quicker. If we can get that to happen it looks like it might be a 24 + hour event :snowman:

Running numbers off our meso model and Hi rest 4Km WRF for the late Wednesday-THurs AM looks like another 2-4 inch snowfall for Catskills-CD-HV north to GFL Higher terrain Schohaire Coutny/Hilltowns and Taconics Bershires Greens another 4-8 potential. These numbers are preliminary at the moment will probably tweak this afternoon for issuance this evening's newscasts

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY

647 AM EST TUE DEC 14 2010

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 4 HOURS

FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED

TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS

AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR

HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/ALBANY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

(INCHES) MEASUREMENT

MASSACHUSETTS

...BERKSHIRE COUNTY...

CLARKSBURG 4.0 525 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

LANESBOROUGH 3.0 608 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

NEW YORK

...ALBANY COUNTY...

COHOES 1.4 111 AM 12/14 SPOTTER

COLONIE 1.2 549 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

ALTAMONT 0.5 517 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...COLUMBIA COUNTY...

CHATHAM CENTER 4.0 535 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

COPAKE 2.0 421 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

ANCRAMDALE 1.5 550 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...DUTCHESS COUNTY...

LA GRANGE 1.6 634 AM 12/14 PRIVATE METEOROLOGIST

HOPEWELL JUNCTION 1.5 600 AM 12/14 PRIVATE METEOROLOGIST

RHINEBECK 1.5 340 AM 12/14 SPOTTER

...FULTON COUNTY...

CAROGA LAKE 2.0 601 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

BROADALBIN 1.5 534 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

FISH HOUSE 1.0 438 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

NORTHVILLE 1.0 627 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...GREENE COUNTY...

GREENVILLE 1.2 408 AM 12/14 SPOTTER

...MONTGOMERY COUNTY...

AMSTERDAM 1.5 555 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

GLEN 1.0 549 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

FONDA 0.2 556 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...SARATOGA COUNTY...

SARATOGA SPRINGS 2.3 549 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

PROVIDENCE` 2.0 546 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

PORTER CORNERS 1.5 628 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...SCHENECTADY COUNTY...

DUANESBURG 1.0 537 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...SCHOHARIE COUNTY...

JEFFERSON 2.3 423 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

RICHMONDVILLE 1.5 527 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

FULTON 1.0 505 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...ULSTER COUNTY...

WEST SHOKAN 0.1 429 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...WARREN COUNTY...

GLENS FALLS 2.3 300 AM 12/14 WTEN

LAKE LUZERNE 1.5 533 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...

WHITEHALL 4.5 536 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

GRANVILLE 4.0 510 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

HEBRON 4.0 606 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

HUDSON FALLS 2.8 540 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

VERMONT

...BENNINGTON COUNTY...

WOODFORD 4.5 530 AM 12/14 WXNET 6

we got a little bit of snow overnight, around 1 inch...3 cm id say over here, but id say about 2 inches....5-6 cm since the rain changed to snow yesterday, over here on the western sections of montreal.

looks as though ottawa made out better, im sure the areas between ottawa and montreal along the border did the best overnight.

good job by the short range hi res models with this event.

a little bit of a break later, then time for some more retro action tomorrow :unsure:

we got a little bit of snow overnight, around 1 inch...3 cm id say over here, but id say about 2 inches....5-6 cm since the rain changed to snow yesterday, over here on the western sections of montreal.

looks as though ottawa made out better, im sure the areas between ottawa and montreal along the border did the best overnight.

a little bit of a break later, then time for some more retro action tomorrow :unsure:

Tomorrow's looks even better at this point in time!

I'd eastimate we've got aabout 3-4" on the ground. Do you think Ottawa will get more tomorrow as well? This could be the year of the retro storms!

I'd have to assume I'm somewhere around 12-14 inches since yesterday afternoon, this snow has a very high density as its made mostly of snow grains. Probably would be equivalent to 20 inches during last weeks event. This is the best LES I've ever gotten at my current location on the SW side of the Roch. Lovin' life!

I'd eastimate we've got aabout 3-4" on the ground. Do you think Ottawa will get more tomorrow as well? This could be the year of the retro storms!

parents just cleaned up the path, they say there is about 5 inches overnight in south ottawa,.:snowman:

i think tomorrow, the latest models have backed off from previous runs which had a general 2-4 inch snowfall.

now its looking like around 1 inch in ottawa, and 1-2 in montreal possible.

hopefully we see them ramp back up later today rather than the opposite....a bit more weakening and it will be nothing more than flurries for ottawa.

I'd have to assume I'm somewhere around 12-14 inches since yesterday afternoon, this snow has a very high density as its made mostly of snow grains. Probably would be equivalent to 20 inches during last weeks event. This is the best LES I've ever gotten at my current location on the SW side of the Roch. Lovin' life!

:thumbsup:

Archived