• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late June 2012 storms

Ian

We might start getting some pop ups as early as tomorrow mainly in elevated areas.

Then the front on Friday should bring at least a DC split.

Monday is tricky but there is potential if it comes together right. For now it seems that would be hard to do with the way the trough tries to drop in ... the 18z GFS shows something close to the "ideal" scenario if you want storms. Worth watching I suppose.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might start getting some pop ups as early as tomorrow mainly in elevated areas.

Then the front on Friday should bring at least a DC split.

Monday is tricky but there is potential if it comes together right. For now it seems that would be hard to do with the way the trough tries to drop in ... the 18z GFS shows something close to the "ideal" scenario if you want storms. Worth watching I suppose.

the 18z GFS was crazy...i looped the 500mb maps like 4 times

the 18z GFS was crazy...i looped the 500mb maps like 4 times

heh, yeah it was a bit whacked once it drops in and then goes nuts afterwards before retrograding to the west/nw. im certainly not buying that yet.. even thru monday is iffy. but verbatim the 18z has like 2000-300 cape to the east of 95 and fires storms in a pretty interesting environment mon afternoon.

What is Ian's track record like with thread to storm ratio?

there'll be some storms. friday has looked off and on ok. never quite what it was originally from like a week out but models have a distinct short wave cutting through the southern lakes with the front. we rarely get out of a heat wave with a front that has no storms at all.

monday is perhaps a reach.. but it has higher potential if it works out. i think overall things will be more interesting heading toward/into july unless the central u.s. ridge just floods the entire pattern.

But as usual you'll flee our area to go elsewhere ;)

IN all seriousness though - if you starting to think that way about Monday I'm happy!

It's usually an issue of the tornado threat being out of the area, though also trying to chase in MD/DC can be quite the pain :P

Current models put the threat in SE VA/southern Delmarva on Monday, with the Euro looking less appealing with its faster solution. Of course, if it looks like there could be a landfalling cane in Florida soon after, I may just concentrate on that instead!

monday i presume from spc:

ADDITIONALLY...STRONGER FLOW WILL LIKELY BE DISPLACED INTO PORTIONS

OF THE SRN APPALACHIANS/SRN MIDDLE ATLANTIC REGION WITHIN BASE OF

TROUGH. IF THIS OCCURS STRONG STORMS MAY DEVELOP ACROSS THIS

PORTION OF THE COUNTRY. HOWEVER...TOO MUCH UNCERTAINTY REGARDING

DAY-TO-DAY CONVECTION LIMITS PREDICTABILITY ACROSS THIS REGION AS

WELL.

12z gfs still likes the monday threat tho it is still focused to the east and south of dc/balt. the long range pattern is good too--probably not real but eh. nice fast flow--derecho time! ;)

12z gfs still likes the monday threat tho it is still focused to the east and south of dc/balt. the long range pattern is good too--probably not real but eh. nice fast flow--derecho time! ;)

Looking at the GFS and how it handles the upper low is entertaining. I like watching it at maximum speed on NCEP lol

new spc day 2

...PORTIONS OF THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION...

AS HEIGHT FALLS OVERSPREAD THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION AHEAD OF THE

ADVANCING UPPER TROUGH...STORM DEVELOPMENT IS FORECAST NEAR/AHEAD OF

THE SURFACE COLD FRONT -- WHICH SHOULD BE LOCATED E OF THE MOUNTAINS

BY MIDDAY/EARLY AFTERNOON. HEATING/DESTABILIZATION OF THE

ENVIRONMENT SUGGEST POTENTIAL FOR A FEW STRONGER CELLS...THOUGH

MODEST SHEAR MAY LIMIT OVERALL SEVERE THREAT. STILL...WITH

CAPE/SHEAR COMBINATION LIKELY TO SUPPORT AT LEAST LOCAL

ORGANIZATION...EXPECT GUSTY WINDS AND POTENTIAL FOR ISOLATED WIND

DAMAGE WITH STRONGER CELLS/STORM CLUSTERS THROUGH EARLY EVENING.

WHILE LIMITED THREAT MAY EXTEND AS FAR N AS NRN NEW

ENGLAND...GREATEST POTENTIAL APPEARS TO EXIST WITHIN THE NEW YORK

CITY/PHILADELPHIA/WASHINGTON D.C. CORRIDOR FROM MID AFTERNOON TO

EARLY EVENING.

HRRR has a messy line coming in around 4-5pm

HRW-NMM and HRW-ARW have a line coming around 5pm

WRF has storms starting to pop up around 3pm, but mainly east of 95 with some storms popping up west of 95 after 5pm

High Res NAM from ewall has storms firing around 2-3pm right along 95 before moving east with some other showers/storms popping up around 10pm

Interesting that the SPC doesn't even have a 5% hail risk in the area today. Not saying that there's a real hail risk, but it's rare for them to put a 15% wind without some sort of accompanying hail/tor threat, especially in the summer when CAPE isn't as much of an issue.

Interesting that the SPC doesn't even have a 5% hail risk in the area today. Not saying that there's a real hail risk, but it's rare for them to put a 15% wind without some sort of accompanying hail/tor threat, especially in the summer when CAPE isn't as much of an issue.

yeah i wondered about that too. i'd bet that any svr storm warning will have "and hail to xx size" in the text..

Archived