SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE fall general OBS and Discussion thread

The Iceman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rocked and rolled here overnight - lots of lightning and loud thunder woke me up around 12:30 am and it raged for the next hour.  Got about 0.4" of rain (glad for it because I would have had to go out and water today).  It was ironic that it hit after everyone pretty much gave up on the convection line that dissipated and after the watch expired, requiring a SPS. :lol:

Got the ol' 7-10 split here last night. First storm passed to the north around midnight, but I did get a minute's worth of rain out of it. The second line passed to my south after 12:30, but there was some good lightning and thunder with that one.

Had some rain here the last 3 nights, not much though - August total here is up to a whopping 0.33". Nice pics and videos of lightning the last few days everybody! The most lightning I saw was Saturday evening between 8:30 pm and 10 pm, from the t'storm cluster up around Quakertown - saw a nice Portugese Man-o-War shaped thunderhead off to the north, had no idea it was that far away. Could see the lightning in the cloud tops while it was still light out (8:30). Here it's been mostly frustration, from watching the fade from late afternoon action on radar to our west to just another warm muggy evening.

This morning was awesome though, blue sky, breezy, lower humidity. Looks like we MAY get something tonight.

DIX radar down today - hopefully back up soon

http://radar3pub.ncep.noaa.gov

edit Fri evening -  

==================
NOUS61 KPHI 192056
FTMDIX
Message Date:  Aug 19 2016 21:04:20
DIX 88D temporarily back in svc, pending a more permanent resolution of our equi
pment problem next week. We do not know if it will fail again this weekend. wd/P
HI  21:03z/19

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Not even 2pm and stuff is on our doorsteps. Much earlier than I though. 87.8F and a not so high DP at 64F.

2.jpg

Started raining here about 2:45 pm.  Up to 0.1" with some on and off light to moderate rain.  Looks like the heaviest convective stuff is staying south.  I figured that when the temp steadily dropped like it did (about 10 degrees in the past hour) that it would diffuse some of the instability here.

32 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Started raining here about 2:45 pm.  Up to 0.1" with some on and off light to moderate rain.  Looks like the heaviest convective stuff is staying south.  I figured that when the temp steadily dropped like it did (about 10 degrees in the past hour) that it would diffuse some of the instability here.

Yeah, started around 3pm with light rain then mod for a bit. No sign of thunder/lightning whatsoever. Precip almost through now...probably end up with .2-.3". Bring on the cooler temps!!!    

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yeah, started around 3pm with light rain then mod for a bit. No sign of thunder/lightning whatsoever. Precip almost through now...probably end up with .2-.3". Bring on the cooler temps!!!    

Doppler is showing one more band over Chesco and Montco that if it hangs together, might give one more brief round.

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

The last line was "meh"...a little rumble or two and a couple showers.

It was fizzling fast but at least am under some moderate rain right now.  So far added about 0.1" to my 1/4" round 1 total.  Was trying hard not to water the plants today so the rain could do it for me!

No thunder and .4"

My growing season is effectively done now I like dry weather and slow grass. Strangely bizzare my grass is lush and green and quick growing this month, with just 1.65" of water. Only thing I can come up with is the extreme humidity keeps it growing like air plants in Florida. Typically a summer month with this little rain means browning dead grass and few cuts. 

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

No thunder and .4"

My growing season is effectively done now I like dry weather and slow grass. Strangely bizzare my grass is lush and green and quick growing this month, with just 1.65" of water. Only thing I can come up with is the extreme humidity keeps it growing like air plants in Florida. Typically a summer month with this little rain means browning dead grass and few cuts.

Hard to believe thunderstorms were pretty much nonexistent for many of us the past 2 weeks+ with all the moisture in the air.

Archived