Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TWC going to name winter storms this winter

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching TWC as a child really got me into meteorology, along with some books and videoes my wonderful parents gave me.  I shudder to think what TWC in the age of the Overhype Twitterverse would do to my ADD-adled 6-year-old brain.  Look mom, I know it's sunny and 72 outside, but we're at TOR:CON 2 so keep a sharp lookout OK?

I don't necessarily have an issue with naming storms, the choice of names is just ridiculous. Q and Khan are known Sci-Fi references, Iago and Nemo are known as Disney characters, Gandolf is a Harry Potter reference. It's like they're going out of their way to TRY to be viral. Even if those names are references to other things, they are in the public conscious as pop culture references and nothing more. Good luck trying to convey the seriousness of a blizzard with those kind of names. Many will be stuck on the name and not the message.

TWC has already done its damage to the scientific community.  During the ''bust'' derecho in the MA this past June we had people on the conference calls asking the NWS about the TorCon.   :facepalm:

Are there any standards at all for Storm-Con?  Tor-Con is basically Forbes own version of the tornado probabilities in integers, and four times larger because of double the radius.  That I can understand.  But Storm-Con?

Silly, but the man did have an advanced degree (MS, Met) and was a space flight meteorologist for NASA,  Gene Norman of KHOU-TV 11 had a 'Norman Number', from 1-10, on how nice the day would be.  Pointless, and now he has left for greener pastures in Alabama.  Although I'd have thought Houston was about as big a mid-market TV hub as any place could be, and was the Triple A league for sending people to Los Angeles or New York.

I remember when they sent Lucy Noland down to the minors from New York, like sending Jeter down to the minors to rehab an injury, before calling her back up to the majors at KNBC Los Angeles.  I'd think Birmingham would be Double A, and Norman seemed popular enough.  Him and Dr. Frank tag teaming the last weather event of any note in SETX, the freak September storm 5 years ago, that was great.

Edit to Add- Norman's hours were changed when KHOU's only "met" without a BS in a related field started mornings, the morning met was put on the pre-national news cast, and Norman was put on post-national news and late evening news.  He claims his Twitter where he referred to non-BS "met" as "blondie" when his hours were reduced was hacked, but he was indeed busted immediately down to the AA leagues in Alabama.

He pioneered the use of a daily subjective rating system called "The Norman Number". This one to ten scale rated the next day's weather, with ten being the very best day (cloudless, warm and dry) and one the worst (dramatic severe weather). Gene also developed the "Weather Where You Live" local forecast graphic that provided viewers with detailed forecasts for specific Houston neighborhoods.

I wish they wouldn't associate their naming scheme with the NWS. Like it's NWS approved. lolz

I wish they wouldn't name these storms in general. Nothing but a publicity stunt. To be honest, Nemo is the only storm name I remember from last year, but that's mainly because it affected our area, but in general I feel like a lot of names were wasted last season. I'll remember Atlas though, that was a sweet storm for people out in SD.

I wish they wouldn't name these storms in general. Nothing but a publicity stunt. To be honest, Nemo is the only storm name I remember from last year, but that's mainly because it affected our area, but in general I feel like a lot of names were wasted last season. I'll remember Atlas though, that was a sweet storm for people out in SD.

Yeah it's just an obvious and pathetic money grab.

I seriously believe it is only for the Twitter hashtag.  I don't know how many re-tweets I saw where people talked about Winter storm hashtag something.

I thought it was funny NBC didn't mention TWC's storm names on the nightly news last year. That's gotta zing a bit.

• 3 months later...

Archived