joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm potential Tuesday 2/17/2015

famartin

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this threat overall. The slower trend of the low coming out of the plains has allowed the confluence to set up farther southeast. Thus the more eastern track today. 12Z GEFS has only one warm dud and a few really big hits. Also think the idea of a second wave more wed into Thu is on the table as well. 

I like this threat overall. The slower trend of the low coming out of the plains has allowed the confluence to set up farther southeast. Thus the more eastern track today. 12Z GEFS has only one warm dud and a few really big hits. Also think the idea of a second wave more wed into Thu is on the table as well. 

Glad to see you on board with this one after the super yawn comment a few days ago. ;) But you did preface it with no snow till Brownsville to Tampa track, fairly close. Hope to see your analysis as this threat evolves.

Oh, no doubt it will be a sheared out mess based on seasonal trends. Southern stream = sheared messes, northern stream = congrats Boston. Now we need the two streams to merge at the right time and place.

The NAO has teased us for months. But may be as you said looking at forecasts late February to early March may provide enough Atlantic blocking. Shame we wasted a record  positive PDO.

18Z GFS continues the east trend - no surprise. Eventually this may be a whiff to right.

The GFS, at least before the upgrade, is almost always too far SE  with Miller A's in this time frame and tends to shear storms out only to go back to it's original solution around the 96 hour mark. It's well documented, and unless the rest of the models follow suit with the east trend, I wouldn't be too concerned at this time.

The GFS, at least before the upgrade, is almost always too far SE  with Miller A's in this time frame and tends to shear storms out only to go back to it's original solution around the 96 hour mark. It's well documented, and unless the rest of the models follow suit with the east trend, I wouldn't be too concerned at this time.

Not about to live and die by a few model runs 5 days out... GFS has a historically SE bias with these. Plus, as doorman pointed out in the NY thread, the two highs in the atlantic should keep this close enough to the coast for significant snowfall

This will be the first opportunity to evaluate the upgraded GFS.  We dont know for certain if that bias has been corrected or not.  (my opinion?  I bet its still there to some degree)  It will be interesting to see if the upgrade makes any difference in regards to the SE bias present on Miller A's from the gfs.

We should have a much better idea in the next 2 days or so how this will go, but not tonight, obviously...

The CMC has been decent lately (as far as verification).

The UKMET has been showing an OTS solution for a couple of days.

The GFS seems to have the general idea within 5 or 6 days, wanders off for 2 or 3 days, then comes back closer to what it showed 5 or 6 days out. As to whether it's a SE bias at play or not, if the rest of the models follow suit over the next 2 days, then I'd start to worry. If they don't, then I'd expect the GFS to come back. I don't think any model at this point has a lock on how things will evolve.

I have no idea either. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and rooting for snow :-). Meanwhile Saturday should be interesting.

Archived