• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Christobal

downeastnc

So when do we start seeing G IV missions flying over the southwest atlantic?

Looks like tomorrow

NOUS42 KNHC 231435

REPRPD

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS

CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.

1035 AM EDT SAT 23 AUGUST 2014

SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)

VALID 24/1100Z TO 25/1100Z AUGUST 2014

TCPOD NUMBER.....14-084

I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. SUSPECT AREA

FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 75        FLIGHT TWO -- NOAA 43

A. 24/1730Z, 2330Z           A. 24/2100Z

B. AFXXX 0804A CYCLONE       B. NOAA3 0904A CYCLONE

C. 24/1515Z                  C. 24/1800Z

D. 23.1N 74.0W               D. 23.3N 74.1W

E. 24/1715Z TO 24/2330Z      E. 24/2000Z TO 25/0000Z

F. SFC TO 15,000 FT          F. SFC TO 15,000 FT

FLIGHT THREE -- TEAL 76      FLIGHT FOUR -- NOAA 42

A. 25/0530Z, 1130Z           A. 25/0900Z

B. AFXXX 1004A CYCLONE       B. NOAA2 1104A CYCLONE

C. 25/0300Z                  C. 25/0600Z

D. 23.9N 74.4W               D. 24.0N 74.4W

E. 25/0515Z TO 25/1130Z      E. 25/0800Z TO 25/1200Z

F. SFC TO 15,000 FT          F. SFC TO 15,000 FT

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: CONTINUE 6-HRLY FIXES

IF SYSTEM REMAINS A THREAT.

3. REMARKS: A G-IV RESEARCH MISSION WILL DEPART KMCF

AT 24/1730Z.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epic hurricane coming to possibly hit NC, SC, FL, and GA. It's possibly going to be a cat 4 rivaling Hugo.

They usually seem to find a residential area with a high concentration of trailer homes, so that should put Waycross directly in the cross hairs!

GSP mentioned the coldfront and trough is 24 hours faster on today's model runs than yesterday's , so that could cause the recurve possibly?

This thing looks to be getting its act together nicely on visible

Since it is HUGE ...it will obviously take some time to strengthen...

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/get-goes?satellite=GOES-E%20CONUS&lat=21&lon=-72&info=vis&zoom=2&width=1200&height=700&quality=95&type=Animation&palette=ir1.pal&numframes=30

weather underground has  nice up to the minute or so links for obs over Turks/Caicos thru the nite

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/78114.html?

The cone of uncertainty has shifted East with the latest update from NHC. Local guy said winds are at 40 mph, per latest update, but still hasn't been named because its very poorly organized!? I have never heard of this before and thought the winds and closed circulation were the key for TS name, organization shouldn't matter! Anybody heard of this?

Has there been a single convective cloud pop up in the Gulf of Mexico this hurricane season?

Everything in the Atlantic for the last few seasons have been either choked out by the SAL and the ones that do develop are no-doubt fish storm.

Remember back at the turn of the century when all these climate experts said we were entering a multi-decade run of busy activity in the Atlantic basin? So much for that...

Has there been a single convective cloud pop up in the Gulf of Mexico this hurricane season?

Everything in the Atlantic for the last few seasons have been either choked out by the SAL and the ones that do develop are no-doubt fish storm.

Remember back at the turn of the century when all these climate experts said we were entering a multi-decade run of busy activity in the Atlantic basin? So much for that...

Yeah, it's been quiet for a while now. When is the last time we had a real land falling system come into the se coast and go inland (not a coastal skirter)?

I still think we're in the multi-decade run of busy activity which began around 1995, when we entered the positive AMO stage.  They last 30-40 years, so we're about half way through.  Of course there are down times, which I believe we're in currently.  If you look at the +AMO back from about 1925 to about 1965, they had -AMO periods mixed in.  Of course the 40s and 50s were very active, but there were quiet years in the bunch.  The Atlantic has been very active up until about 2012.  We're just in a little quiet period.  

AMO.jpg

Yeah, it's been quiet for a while now. When is the last time we had a real land falling system come into the se coast and go inland (not a coastal skirter)?

Honestly...I'm starting to believe that the storm tracks like Hugo or Fran are just the big time exceptions rather than the rule.

The one big thing you must have for an Atlantic storm to hit the Southeast Coast perpendicular is a 500mb surface ridge centered along or north of Bermuda. Here in recent history there has been too much lower heights in the Western Atlantic with the ridge only nosing into the SW Atlantic.

I still think we're in the multi-decade run of busy activity which began around 1995, when we entered the positive AMO stage.  They last 30-40 years, so we're about half way through.  Of course there are down times, which I believe we're in currently.  If you look at the +AMO back from about 1925 to about 1965, they had -AMO periods mixed in.  Of course the 40s and 50s were very active, but there were quiet years in the bunch.  The Atlantic has been very active up until about 2012.  We're just in a little quiet period.  

AMO.jpg

You're probably correct on that...the period from 95 to about 2007 was really active and from there it has slowed some with the last couple being really slow.

Also, just to piggy-back on the comments I made earlier about the Gulf...when I started seeing these flat ridges at 500 and 850mb showing up over Florida back in June, I figured the GOM would be on lockdown for a while. Maybe that will change going into September. One thing I do know...if one does develop in the NW Caribbean or Gulf, it will be sitting over un-tapped waters which could be troublesome for some area.

Honestly...I'm starting to believe that the storm tracks like Hugo or Fran are just the big time exceptions rather than the rule.

The one big thing you must have for an Atlantic storm to hit the Southeast Coast perpendicular is a 500mb surface ridge centered along or north of Bermuda. Here in recent history there has been too much lower heights in the Western Atlantic with the ridge only nosing into the SW Atlantic.

They are rare, it takes a strong H sliding off the NE coast and usually some sort of  SW drifting ULL feature over the lower Mississippi river valley or GOM. Fran was a beast though only time in my life we were gusting over 100 during a hurricane and really the only other time I know of other than Hazel it hit 100+ in gust for interior eastern NC. Sustained probably peaked around 60-65 during that time it was rough, especially since it was the middle of the night.

Isabel 2003 was the last hurricane to make it well inland in the Carolinas.

Really Isabel was wimpy though for all but the NE corner of the state, here we got the SW eyewall  and got maybe gust to 55 but 50 miles NE of here had gust well into the 80's and 90's.....

Christobal looks like he might just be a pain in the but if he stalls it will be interesting to see if the models change up any....

Both Hurricane Hunter planes flying the storm just marked the lowest pressure due west of their previous passes.  Broadening wider or moving west.  Pressure down to 998mb.

Gonna do its own thing it looks like, doubt it does enough crazy stuff to put anyone under the gun but I wouldn't be surprised to see some west shift in the track at 11 at least short term....

You are spot on correct and thankfully directly devestating perpendicular hits in the Carolinas are a very rare event.

However when they do happen, people best take them seriously.

Archived