• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

I constructed a 45 mile long elevation profile running from near Whittier ENE to Asheville to show differences in rainfall over the last 24 hours.

Very typical SW wind event profile.  Totals ranged from well over an inch to as low as 0.14 in the rain shadow areas.

SW wind moist air invades SW NC and progresses NE. Moisture is squeezed out/maximized in the Plott Balsams then downsloping starts to run rampant in Haywood county. In this particular case, totals increased again near Asheville-in particular East of Asheville perhaps because the mountain wave dampened out at that distance and moist winds with more of a Southerly component invaded the low spots in the Blue Ridge and spread into Buncombe county. Also there may have been some CAPE to work with in those areas as well.

post-9361-0-95239800-1397563220_thumb.jp

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff Mike. Ya Moisture around here was pretty meager. We only picked up about .20 inches of rainfall. Not the soaker I was looking for.

Cold front on our door steps. I really like the idea of seeing some snow action along the boarder county's. Its going to get very windy and very cold for this time of the year. Wow at the expanse of freeze warnings across the country. Very impressive for Mid April.

I was expecting about 3" of rain on the mtn top but it appears Gulf Coast convection once again robbed it. I need to come up with a decent way to figure out when this is a factor and when it won't be.

Regarding snow-looking at the BUFKIT profiles..it depicts the cold air as being very shallow so not really favorable for snow showers but looking at real time SPC meso analysis..certainly shows some overlap of moisture and negative 850 temps headed towards the mtns so who knows. (Temps already in the low 40's on Mt. Mitchell)

I was expecting about 3" of rain on the mtn top but it appears Gulf Coast convection once again robbed it. I need to come up with a decent way to figure out when this is a factor and when it won't be.

Regarding snow-looking at the BUFKIT profiles..it depicts the cold air as being very shallow so not really favorable for snow showers but looking at real time SPC meso analysis..certainly shows some overlap of moisture and negative 850 temps headed towards the mtns so who knows. (Temps already in the low 40's on Mt. Mitchell)

Ya sitting right at 48 degrees here. Will be interesting seeing the temps drop during the day in April.

Temp has dropped to 30 degrees at Clingman's Dome with significant precip (Freezing rain? Heavy snow?) falling.

Despite rather modest radar returns...rain gauge and webcams views confirm heavy showers falling last couple of hours with rainfall totals now up to 1.5" on the mtn top.

I noticed that Google Earth now includes a pic somebody took from my observation tower. It is now named the Mount Lyn Lowry Observation Tower. It appears to have become a regular tourist destination.. Ha! :)  If you look left, you can make out the Blue Ridge Parkway and the very top of one of the rain gauges. If you look to the right-you can see Maggie Valley and Ghost Town. Straight ahead is Waterrock Knob. It should be obvious why those gauges are highly exposed during high winds from the South or SW with horizontal rain causing rain catch issues.

post-9361-0-20459700-1397574487_thumb.jp

Hiked to obs deck on Brasstown Bald yesterday and today. About 2000' climb. Amazing to experience the change in temp but most impressive were the winds and heavy fog. Monday evening the top (4784') was locked in fog with what I would guess to be gusts upwards of 40mph. Today was much colder with a flake here and there with less wind and by the time I reached the top the clouds were racing just overhead. Super fun hikes!

It's 17.4 this morning and breezy with a skiff of snow on the ground. It's April 16, enough.

Lol Joe! Was just thinking this is one of the latest dates I think I have seen it drop into the teens. Also 17 degrees here with a skiff on the cars. Had a fire last night and a fire this morning and ya um it is April 16! Another heavy Freeze tonight also.

We're moving to our Salter Path home this weekend. Pretty good winter, thanks for putting up with us atmospheric challenged posters. I don't post much in the summer so someone please PM me if a hurricane is coming. Cheers!

Enjoy Joe! Look  like our rainfall amounts are creeping up the more this low moves further inland. Looks like we could get a good dose of rainfall this weekend.

Far from 60 degrees today. So far only made it up to 49 degrees with clouds all day. Radar looks prime for some decent rainfall tonight. Maybe half an inch or more possible. Also don't look know but I do not think we are done with the frost/freezes this season. GFS has been hinting at another cold shot in about the 10 day period and the Euro jumped on board today also. Something to keep an eye on because that would be extremely late especially for the crops.

Archived