• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island - Spring/Summer 2014

marsplex

Don't look at the extended, but it looks like the next few weeks are on track for rain and 38-42 degree highs in an endless cut-off blocked pattern, that probably goes through mid May for the coast, and then hot summer weather moves in by June, which will probably be hottest month, with July and August not as hot temps.

Thanks, you jinxed me. Expect sunshine and 80's.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't look at the extended, but it looks like the next few weeks are on track for rain and 38-42 degree highs in an endless cut-off blocked pattern, that probably goes through mid May for the coast, and then hot summer weather moves in by June, which will probably be hottest month, with July and August not as hot temps.

lol

The differences on Long Island tend to be a bit less extreme that queens I do recall a day LGA was 94 and JFK 67 at one point, best contrast I recall though was a back door front once where Montauk was 48 and NYC 84

Much more common is Albany and Montreal 90 or better, and NYC in 50's with drizzle.

With the grass greening up 3/30, I will revise full leaf out to 5/15 and not Flag day. Bud burst 4/25, instead of 5/10.  Looks like tons of days 46-52 for the first half of the month and lows mostly above freezing. do you agree more w/ this ?  I am feeling a much warmer May by 5/10 and a fairly hot June. I think we are done with pure Arctic air. 

speculations:

1st 80 degree day 4/23

90 degree days 5/18-5/19, 5 sometime in June.

I have a feeling the summer goes warm, not too torrid and very seasonable up and downs, with a moderate to good severe season in the NYC area.  Stronger than last year.  Remember 7/2009 was decent SVR days even though a bit cooler summer. Remember 1994 had epic SVR that June and heat.  Similar cold -EPO winter too.

Guest Pamela

Weather on LI blows year round for the most part.

Yep I agree...the climates of Phoenix, Godthab, Churchill & Khartoum are far more salubrious...

Guest Pamela

Pretentious passive aggressive postings blow just as bad if not worse

Where did you get your psych degree... Sears & Roebuck?

Guest Pamela

Rikers Island

A veritable hayride compared to the four decades I was a guest at Fort Leavenworth...

Guest Pamela

Seasonal Snowfall / Long Island
2013-14 Winter
As of 4/4/2014 / 11:30 PM

Port Jefferson: 70.7"
Smithtown: 67.8"

Islip / MacArthur Airport: 63.5"
Baiting Hollow: 62.5"
Centerport: 60.8"
BNL / Upton: 57.5"

A veritable hayride compared to the four decades I was a guest at Fort Leavenworth...

William, I'm ot sure if you remember the scandals surrounding The ArkansasTucker and Cummins Prison Farms in the late 60's.

I did 4 weeks of residency as part of a College course and after 45+ years hjave still not forgotten it.

Great T Storms down there.

Rich  

Guest Pamela

William, I'm ot sure if you remember the scandals surrounding The ArkansasTucker and Cummins Prison Farms in the late 60's.

I did 4 weeks of residency as part of a College course and after 45+ years hjave still not forgotten it.

Great T Storms down there.

Rich  

I always tell people that if you end up convicted of a crime; you are far better off it is a violation of federal statute rather than state; especially a southern state where the prisons are generally one cut above the level found in the Third World.  Leavenworth, like Lewisburg and now defunct Alcatraz, are not places one would want to spend any time...but they are run by the federal government and there are standards and those standards are enforced...decent food, decent health care, & the guards are generally constrained from behaving in a brutal or inhumane manner towards the inmates if they are not provoked.

But down in some of those state run facilities....especially Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana & Arkansas...its about as bad as it gets...food is not fit for animals and living conditions are beyond the worst dystopian nightmare a person can imagine. 

The case you mention in Arkansas...along with some companion cases filed by victims of the penal system down there...can be read at the link below...as there was sort of a consolidation of the cases as they worked their way up to the US Supreme Court in the 1970's.  The Rehnquist lone dissent...claiming Arkansas could do what it wanted...definitely ranks as the good judge's most notorious...

https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/US/437/437.US.678.76-1660.html

Guest Pamela

with this wind blowing right now it feel like November not the first week of April.

I would expect that; since the mean temperatures for the start of April and the middle of November are practically the same around here...

• 4 weeks later...

I think people exaggerate how bad springs are here.

I've seen plenty of April days that features 80's in Albany and even Montreal, and 50's with drizzle and fog in LI, NYC, Westchester.  During May and June that's often 90's vs. 60's.

So, is today the official first day Long Island has reached 70 degrees?  I know it was it within the city limits, but looks like first day for Farmingdale, in fact 79 at KFRG.  Did anywhere else in Nassau or Suffolk officially hit 70 before today?  If not, this must be one of the later dates that 70 has first been reached in a given year.

So, is today the official first day Long Island has reached 70 degrees?  I know it was it within the city limits, but looks like first day for Farmingdale, in fact 79 at KFRG.  Did anywhere else in Nassau or Suffolk officially hit 70 before today?  If not, this must be one of the later dates that 70 has first been reached in a given year.

Islip hit 70 degrees on May 6th (this past Tuesday). And I'm sure other parts of Long Island hit 70 degrees well before that, probably northern and western nassau county.

thanks -- I would tend to agree re northern/western nassau, but in terms of the record books and official reporting stations, Farmingdale would be it, right?

Also, was about to post something else -- On Jan 4th, KFRG hit -1 briefly, and the Accuweather site has shown -1 for that date.  However, if I go to weather underground for Jan 4 it says the low is 1.  This bugs me because getting below zero was of particular interest to a  lot of folks here.  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived