SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
18-20th Storm potential/ Discussion

stormspotterlive

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week the Euro/UKMET were honking a phased deep system cutting through the Lakes for this past weekend, while the GFS was being more progressive with the northern vort, hence missing the phase and shearing the whole thing out into two relatively weak* pieces, which in the end is exactly what happened (*tell that to MSP, which got a widespread 10-16" event, nonetheless). It will be interesting to see if that was the GFS's blind squirrel nut for the season or if the GFS's better handling of the northern stream actually means something long-term.

Until we get an antecedent cold air mass, any significant snow threat is going to be a thread-the-needle, though. Although we might have some more fun around Christmas and in the week or two after once we do establish said air mass.

Is this the second or third shortwave(storm)? This 12z Euro is very confusing in the way it divides the energy.

3rd energy...takes a lower delmarva to just inside benchmark track...pretty much 80% of storm is rain...though once storm pulls away places may change over to snow esp pocs which could do well and into lehigh valley and nw burbs would see some monor accums..city possibly possibly before it end its a sub 980 storm...still way out in.time 7-8 days

Both waves 1-2 are weak, it's bombs the 3rd wave... A 970's storm off the coast, stacked ,would be a snowstorm to the immediate coast with the euro track and strength* . Bc the 3rd wave is the one to develop, this gets pushed back to next Thursday. Gotta love an active pacific wreaking havoc on the models.

Both waves 1-2 are weak, it's bombs the 3rd wave... A 970's storm off the coast, stacked ,would be a snowstorm to the immediate coast with the euro track and strength* . Bc the 3rd wave is the one to develop, this gets pushed back to next Thursday. Gotta love an active pacific wreaking havoc on the models.

no way a snowstorm to the coast...the airmass ahead of it is blah...the mid levels are to warm...once the winds switch to the north yea maybe then we switch...its still a week out but if that track played out with that airmass the majority of the precip would be rain from abe south

You need a good Quebec High (or some sort of proxy) before you can get snow-crushed. The Euro shows exactly what I'm talking about...even with a pretty darn good track (within 50 miles of perfect, I'd say) we're still almost all rain because the antecedent cold air just isn't there yet.

Could intense dynamics pull something off? Sure, anything's possible. But this is not, right now anyway, a spread-the-wealth snow event.

If we don't get a pseudo 50/50 it will torch us, man that is a bomb on the EURO though. tombo @ 192 hrs is it still precipitating in our area because it looks cold enough at that point. I'm going off free maps of course.

240hr EURO doesn't look good though...It's cold but it looks transient and would torch a few days later prob.

You need a good Quebec High (or some sort of proxy) before you can get snow-crushed. The Euro shows exactly what I'm talking about...even with a pretty darn good track (within 50 miles of perfect, I'd say) we're still almost all rain because the antecedent cold air just isn't there yet.

Could intense dynamics pull something off? Sure, anything's possible. But this is not, right now anyway, a spread-the-wealth snow event.

Your point is valid.. However, we could sit here and debate this all afternoon. But fact is, euro just went to a 3rd solution, an outlier of its own. See we don't really know how this is going to evolve. The signal is there. It's just gonna take till at least this weekend to figure of the Synoptics of everything.

Then, we can debate...

Yup. It's a long ways off, I don't think many of us would complain if we saw a storm that produced rain followed by a thump of wet snow on the backside before it moved away. Can't be too greedy these days, especially after last *****extended autumn*******. :)

Fixed. Agreed.

Look at coastal NJ back early November/late October...

Models far out with that one had a stronger storm like this but were warm as well. The as we got closer they trended colder A lot is on the table here to consider. Right now I am interested to see if the euro decides to go in lock and repeat mode while GFS does some flipping about.

Your point is valid.. However, we could sit here and debate this all afternoon. But fact is, euro just went to a 3rd solution, an outlier of its own. See we don't really know how this is going to evolve. The signal is there. It's just gonna take till at least this weekend to figure of the Synoptics of everything.

Then, we can debate...

I can totally agree to this! With so many different pieces of energy in play, let's settle on a particular storm solution first, and then debate rain vs. snow.

is this a joke..?

Well the GEFS is showing a stubborn East Pacific trough (as if that's new this season) but in general yeah, I'm not sure what he's saying. If anything, you might even have a bit of an Archambault signal around D5 (per the GFS spaghetti plots for the NAO, anyway) and again towards the last third of the month.

Archived