joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Schools and weather

NortheastPAWx

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we also discuss the impact it has on families with two working parents? :arrowhead: $10/hr per kid (2kids) for a babysitter makes 8am-6pm an expensive proposition. If the weather is too bad and the babysitter can't get to the house then what...

Is anyone up for making this a running thread for closings? I can cover NJ/NY metro, if someone else wants to cover other areas.

Can we also discuss the impact it has on families with two working parents? :arrowhead: $10/hr per kid (2kids) for a babysitter makes 8am-6pm an expensive proposition. If the weather is too bad and the babysitter can't get to the house then what...

I work the office of a preschool.... we have drop-in for our before and after school program (up to 12 years old) when schools are closed. We just prorate a regular $85 full time week for before and after. So, $17 a child for the whole day from 6am to 6pm including all meals. This is in SE Virginia, but check around some of the daycares.... especially the smaller religious ones. A lot of them are feeling the effects of the economy and are doing anything to get children, even if it is just a day or two here and there.

We have mid-terms tomorrow, at 8:15-9:45 and 10:15-11:45

I'm not sure what they'll do with a 2-hr delay...

Edit: If we had one, that is

Same here, except 735-905am and 930-11am.

With it not starting untill 6-7 here then changing to ice mid-day after 3-7" of snow, I think we'll get a snow day here. If we get a delay Im going to laugh because conditions will be worse at 9am then 7am here in central mass.

University of North Dakota is famous for NEVER closing. I went through multiple whiteout blizzards and cases where professors couldn't even come to teach because they couldn't get to school--and UND never closed. Unfortunately I think it will take a fatality or a major event for UND to ever consider closing for weather alone.

Oops--I didn't realize this was about the freezing rain event.arrowheadsmiley.png

Would expect them to all close in the morning. I think school districts are hesitant to call off the night before unless it is snowing and not forecast to stop until the next afternoon. Too many time when ice is involved that you end up with a quick change to rain and folks wondering why their kids are at home.

A few schools up here already have 2 hour delays, even though the Lehigh Valley/Poconos are supposed to stay freezing rain till late morning. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Would expect them to all close in the morning. I think school districts are hesitant to call off the night before unless it is snowing and not forecast to stop until the next afternoon. Too many time when ice is involved that you end up with a quick change to rain and folks wondering why their kids are at home.

Most schools have to give the illusion that they are attempting to open. Most schools will be closed if the weather is as predicted.

OF course I am watching to see if my school closes tomorrow (I don't have class but I do have work)

University of North Dakota is famous for NEVER closing. I went through multiple whiteout blizzards and cases where professors couldn't even come to teach because they couldn't get to school--and UND never closed. Unfortunately I think it will take a fatality or a major event for UND to ever consider closing for weather alone.

Oops--I didn't realize this was about the freezing rain event.arrowheadsmiley.png

Thats how it should be, reward the student for making it in.arrowheadsmiley.png

Might have its downfalls, but it also has some merit

Ha! Sounds like we're in the same boat. We're even in the middle of giving mid-terms. Nightmare of a day if we hae a 2-hr delay. Snow just picked up a notch down here.

The way things are trending, most schools in the LV will close tomorrow.

The timing once again.....

Much to my deliteSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'd rather be home than around a bunch of students wishing they were home....makes for a very unpreductive day

The college i teach and work at used to never close or rarely close, now we close a couple of times each winter. I am on the team that gets the message out. We share a calendar with two other colleges, so the majority rules here. In the WIlkes-barre area, the east side schools do the same thing, when one or two of them close, they all close.

Safety first.

Archived