• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Rotating Mini Supercell Near South Shore of LI 1/7/11

SBUWX23

Now that the latest snow storm has ended, I thought I would share an radar snapshots I created in GRAE2 of the rotation observed on OKX radar this past Friday (1/7/11). For a time you can see a weak couplet associated with a mini supercell. The first couplet weakened before another one formed as it headed onshore. Pretty impressive stuff in January when it was SNOWING! Snownado anyone?

post-65-0-64032400-1294889051.png

post-65-0-90707200-1294889059.png

post-65-0-92691600-1294889074.png

post-65-0-55617100-1294889100.png

post-65-0-43264300-1294889115.png

post-65-0-24294000-1294889130.png

post-65-0-09921200-1294889140.png

WOW :thumbsup:

This is freaking incredible! After a summer which featured above-normal tornadic activity across portions of the Northeast it seems this does not want to go away :lol:

I think it was this past Friday as well but in parts of south-central CT there was a convective band (didn't hear of anyone getting thunder/lightning though) that actually exhibited some rotation and it was noted on radar...that's pretty freaking sweet.

This is freaking incredible! After a summer which featured above-normal tornadic activity across portions of the Northeast it seems this does not want to go away :lol:

I think it was this past Friday as well but in parts of south-central CT there was a convective band (didn't hear of anyone getting thunder/lightning though) that actually exhibited some rotation and it was noted on radar...that's pretty freaking sweet.

Not sure about in CT but I know there was lightning over eastern LI as this moved through and then again later on in the afternoon as other convective snow showers moved in.

One of these days I want to see an F2 Snownado with 3 inch per hour snowfall rates, coupled with CG and 2 inch diameter hail on its periphery ;)

Thanks very much for posting this.

While areas to my west were getting heavy snow on 1/7/11,the sun came out for a few minutes here.

Right after that the sky got really dark like you would see before a warm season thunderstorm.

I went outside to take a photo of the clouds and right after it started snowing.

That could be the most fascinating/awesome thing I've ever seen. A snow shower mesocyclone. Can you imagine a snow rapped tornado/waterspout coming ashore Long Island lol. Incredible

Unfortunately as cool as an experience it would be, the nature of snow (being white) would mean the tornado/waterspout would not be able to be seen most likely. But it sure would be interesting to watch from a distance as it came in...

Archived