• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dendrite closeups

I tried to get some cool close-ups with my macro lens of dendrites during the main event this morning, but the result would not have been very exciting. Fortunately, a snowshower just passed through with much better (photographic) flake composition, and although it accumulated to around a trace and the light was fading, I got this shot:

post-3401-0-79159900-1294870052.jpg

Cool.

I need to grab my macro lens next storm.

It's worth it. I took like 50 shots from different angles and with different ISOs, and only this one and maybe one other turned out decently. And I'm not even completely thrilled with this shot... if the DOF were a few mm larger, the picture would be much more impressive I think. I could spend the whole winter trying to get the perfect close-up. :( Such is photography.

1. ... if the DOF were a few mm larger, the picture would be much more impressive I think.

2. I could spend the whole winter trying to get the perfect close-up. :( Such is photography.

1. When at macro levels, at least with DSLR's, you almost always want as much DoF as your lens has. If 22 is the smallest aperature. Use that. My 100mm Macro goes down to 32 and I leave it there 99.88% of the time when in macro. Of course you need a good stable tripod and/or a serious flash that can sync to the highest speeds your camera can operate at.

2. The best dendrite shots I have seen have come with people using a black velvet or black linen. Catching a few flakes on it and taking a shot of it then. That way you get your black and white points correct and can avoid the *blue* ice.

Don't worry about taking so many shots to get a good one. They are digital and easy to delete if you do not like them. I have spent two weekends on trying to get drips splashing right and after 500 or so shots only have three decent ones. THe pain of the process is 3/4 of the fun!

1. When at macro levels, at least with DSLR's, you almost always want as much DoF as your lens has. If 22 is the smallest aperature. Use that. My 100mm Macro goes down to 32 and I leave it there 99.88% of the time when in macro. Of course you need a good stable tripod and/or a serious flash that can sync to the highest speeds your camera can operate at.

2. The best dendrite shots I have seen have come with people using a black velvet or black linen. Catching a few flakes on it and taking a shot of it then. That way you get your black and white points correct and can avoid the *blue* ice.

Don't worry about taking so many shots to get a good one. They are digital and easy to delete if you do not like them. I have spent two weekends on trying to get drips splashing right and after 500 or so shots only have three decent ones. THe pain of the process is 3/4 of the fun!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I got a new flash for Christmas that I haven't really gotten all that familiar with yet, but you've inspired me to take a more serious look at it in the near future. And I'd be interested to see your water droplet shots. :)

these are great!!! (and it makes me want a macro lens :( )

Thanks! I believe mine cost about $800... but it's a good investment IMO.

Archived