Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
NYC/PHL Potential Jan 11-14 Event Discussion Part Two

NickD2011

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iseriously hope next winter we get no snow at all, and every event is rain. Maybe some people won't take for granted 2-4 inches of snow and just be happy its snowing. Its absolutely pathetic how people are bitching and moaning and saying nails in coffin when its still going to snow for everyone. Why does it always have to be either big storm or fail, 12 plus or death.

I think it's because the transfer is later so its not like a low coming up the coast and bombing out sooner and dumping a ton of moisture

I know this has been discussed before, however, in this instance, does anyone see the models under performing qpf wise? I see tracks over the benchmark and qpf of about .5 or so on average.

Would such a track argue for a stronger, more consolidated precipitation shield, such as the NAM, or SERF?

Iseriously hope next winter we get no snow at all, and every event is rain. Maybe some people won't take for granted 2-4 inches of snow and just be happy its snowing. Its absolutely pathetic how people are bitching and moaning and saying nails in coffin when its still going to snow for everyone. Why does it always have to be either big storm or fail, 12 plus or death.

The thing about snow is simply this; it is a atmospherical phenomenon, and should it snow, it simply snows.

I know this has been discussed before, however, in this instance, does anyone see the models under performing qpf wise? I see tracks over the benchmark and qpf of about .5 or so on average.

Would such a track argue for a stronger, more consolidated precipitation shield, such as the NAM, or SERF?

I do think we'll see the trend towards increasing QPF if we get this track to verify; a benchmark track on a Miller B, especially if the low forms off the Delmarva, can easily give NYC 8-12" snowfall. It obviously depends on how quickly the low bombs out but I tend to agree that the models are being a little chincy with QPF. There's also the possibility for banding, which would increase totals in areas favored by the H7 track and decrease totals in areas affected by subsidence on the other side of the band.

Iseriously hope next winter we get no snow at all, and every event is rain. Maybe some people won't take for granted 2-4 inches of snow and just be happy its snowing. Its absolutely pathetic how people are bitching and moaning and saying nails in coffin when its still going to snow for everyone. Why does it always have to be either big storm or fail.=, 12 plus or death.

Snow is beautiful, and you should enjoy every inch when you live on the coastal plain. I remember being in middle school and dealing with winter after winter of nothing....96-97, 97-98, 98-99, 99-00...we should appreciate how lucky we have been in the past decade with receiving major snowfalls and having some periods of sustained cold weather such as didn't exist much in the late 90s when winters were often very mild. I do think people's expectations are high from this storm, since it does have a classic track and two of the best analogs are March 1960 and January 1996. I am not surprised people are expecting a 12" event when we have a low bombing into the 980s near the benchmark.

While I don't hope for no snow next winter I do think we've been spoiled with all the huge snow events in the last 12 months and really throughout the last decade. Growing up in the 1980s was painful and I always fear we go back to that pattern. Would love 4 to 8 outta the midweek storm and looking forward to ur euro play by play coming up

Thank you for saying this. I guess some people are used to getting 12 inch snows the last few years come to expect them on every snow event now. I guess if the 20- 30 snow had not melted like it did and they had a 1996 snow melt, they would not be wishing for more snow.

I was thinking the same thing. Almost nothing for the Jersey shore and LI. It seems to be factoring in as much or even more mixing than NAM, even though it's well east of NAM.

well on the gfs central and eastern li have mixing issues, so i can see the cut down there, but west towards nyc is bizzare.

People here, especially the younger ones, are extremely spoiled by how great the past 10 years have been. They consider 4"-8" a bad storm. It's truly pathetic.

They don't understand that we average 22"-30" in the cities for a reason. It's not normal for NYC to keep getting 40"+ so often with non-stop KU's. If it were, NYC would average 40".

Some people here need a reality check.

Any snow storm is nice. A 4"-8" event is a beautiful event.

People here, especially the younger ones, are extremely spoiled by how great the past 10 years have been. They consider 4"-8" a bad storm. It's truly pathetic.

They don't understand that we average 22"-30" in the cities for a reason. It's not normal for NYC to keep getting 40"+ so often with non-stop KU's. If it were, NYC would average 40".

I agree 100%. I remember in the late 90's I would be thrilled with 3-6" or 4-8" storms.

fyi i wont be doing the euro tomorrow at 12z, ill be at the eagles game...anyways, the 0z euro has just started lets see if it hold or goes west towards nam or east towards ggem and ukie

Thanks Tombo.. I'm not so sure how east the ukie will be post 72.

Well said. Some people don't seem to realize that NYC is not supposed to be getting 12" storms almost every winter. The pace that we've been getting big storms in the last decade is not normal. An 8" storm in most normal winters would actually be considered a major event. We are getting too spoiled. We will see it when we go into a different cycle and get very few big storms over a 10 year period.

The 1.7" that the City received yesterday was just amazingly beautiful. So, if this event is progged to be a moderate hit, there is so other way to take it, but to enjoy it, the dynamics, the heavy bands, the purity and beauty of it. Most guidance has been depicting a general 1-10" for this system so far, but that could change.

Well said. Some people don't seem to realize that NYC is not supposed to be getting 12" storms almost every winter. The pace that we've been getting big storms in the last decade is not normal. An 8" storm in most normal winters would actually be considered a major event. We are getting too spoiled. We will see it when we go into a different cycle and get very few big storms over a 10 year period.

The main climatic change is that there has been little or no Appalachian Runner storm events in the past five years. These storms typically bring lots of snow to central PA, 2-4 inch snow events followed by ice storms from CAD setups in the Lehigh and Shenandoah Valleys and cold rain events to NYC, NJ and Philadelphia. I think we will return to this setup again by the end of the winter

The clown maps probably are too low along the coast, too much influence of the warm ocean in the adjacent boundary layer.

They always do that, even with NW flow evolving, doesn't make any sense. The 0z GFS shows most of NYC metro around 32/33 at the surface, colder here in Westchester County, with the 850 0C contour well offshore.

Archived