• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
The January 13, 1982 Snowstorm

FoothillsNC

I'm not saying this is going to be a repeat, but there are a lot of similarities, especially looking at the 500 millibar setup. There was a large closed vortex in the Northeast that ushered in bitterly cold air into the South preceding the storm's arrival (temps in the 20's and 30's for highs much of the South), for several days before it hit. The closed low off California opened up and moved east into the Gulf as the New England vortex moved off into eastern Canada and the Atlantic. This was also a one-two punch, which the models are hinting at, with another strong shortwave coming in behind the lead system across the South, as the Flow in the Pacific amplified and developed a closed High block over Alaska. All this is extremely similar to the January 1982 event.

The surface obs showed 3 days of accumulating snow in the sites I looked at for the Foothills and western Piedmont of NC, I'm sure the same could be said for many sections of eastern Tenn/Ga and part of the east Coast. ( I remember the storm in Junior High but didnt' recall 3 days of snow until I viewed the Co-op reports).

Here's the 5H animation from the January 1982 event:

post-38-0-86097500-1294278153.gif

Compared with the ECMWF prog of the January 2011 event:

post-38-0-17263400-1294278208.gif

Also, heres some surface precip. totals courtesy of the Daily Weather Map. (notice it wasn't terribly wet on the liquid equivalents, but cold air allowed good ratios)

Jan 13, 1982:

post-38-0-47047600-1294278291.jpg

Jan 14, 1982:

post-38-0-34704500-1294278351.jpg

Jan 13, 1982 Surface Map

post-38-0-74991700-1294278407.gif

An example of the Co-op reports. Forest City, NC: (A total of 12" fell over 3 days)

post-38-0-28054000-1294278515.jpg

Only time will tell if this storm plays out anything like that one. I wouldn't be suprised to see similar results though if the Euro continues with its 5H look.

NE TN didn't fair as well, but did get around 3.0 inches of snow in three days - here in Kingsport. Not too shabby. Nonetheless, it was an impressive system. It really isn't an IMBY comparison for me since I didn't live here then. :arrowhead: However, I really like this pattern. It's going to be a good one I think...or should I say, it has been a good one up to this point. Very unexpected winter pattern. Really enjoyed the write-up BTW.

Here is an NCAR reanalysis loop to go along. http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1982/us0115j3.php

Prolly not the most comparable since that event was far more amplified and had a lot more cold air and a strong southern stream S/W, but this event could be interesting for you folks on the northern edge of the storm. The ECM has been persistent with a retrograding vortex over the Great Lakes shunting the first jet max with the western trough and developing a secondary jet farther south, although it has backed off a tad. 18Z GFS suggests the same pattern.

Snow Jam '82 here in Atlanta! Remember it well. It took me 4 hours to go 20 miles. Man that was fun! We had temps down to 4 degrees I believe, it was really cold and stayed for almost a week. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Browsing through records here, it got down to 1° here before the storm. That airmass was probably a little colder than this one is progged to be, but for NC and TN it actually maybe close to the same. Euro had some -12 around the southern Apps Saturday. Thats cold!

post-38-0-71835700-1294280311.jpg

Nice work Robert. & thanks for sharing, I was in Junior HS also, but living down east at the time. I remember a sleet storm back around that time, not sure if this one was it. Keep up the outstanding work. I cant help but think someone with the oppurtunity will recognize your great talents and reward you with a venue where you can share your exceptional skills with the communities in our region(SE). Doesnt neccesarily have to be TV, but your skills would be a huge drawing card/marketing tool for any print media or radio. Just my 2 cents. I speak for everyone on here, we all appreciate your efforts!:thumbsup:

Nice work Robert. & thanks for sharing, I was in Junior HS also, but living down east at the time. I remember a sleet storm back around that time, not sure if this one was it. Keep up the outstanding work. I cant help but think someone with the oppurtunity will recognize your great talents and reward you with a venue where you can share your exceptional skills with the communities in our region(SE). Doesnt neccesarily have to be TV, but your skills would be a huge drawing card/marketing tool for any print media or radio. Just my 2 cents. I speak for everyone on here, we all appreciate your efforts!:thumbsup:

+1 :thumbsup:

+1 :thumbsup:

Thank you. I'm trying, would love to get on the NCDC or a research /climatology place like the Southeast Regional Climate Center, getting into any govt. work is esp. hard.

Mark, here's the link

http://www7.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html;jsessionid=1133F071FDD9448652306969E4F900AB

Archived