LGA: 26.0

regional avg 25.4

DC area

DCA: 16.6

IAD: 22.3

BWI: 20.8

regional avg 19.9

Difference 22%

I posted that in the NYC regional thread after someone claimed NYC gets several significant snowstorms a year when DC is all rain and that is normal because the NYC area averages 50 percent more snowfall then the DC area. The response was as if I had spit on their face. What is the issue?

NYC area

JFK: 22.7

EWR 27.6

LGA: 26.0

regional avg 25.4

DC area

DCA: 16.6

IAD: 22.3

BWI: 20.8

regional avg 19.9

Difference 22%

I posted that in the NYC regional thread after someone claimed NYC gets several significant snowstorms a year when DC is all rain and that is normal because the NYC area averages 50 percent more snowfall then the DC area. The response was as if I had spit on their face. What is the issue?

Perception and reality are two very different things. They are still floating high after their blizzard. Why you'd get bent out of shape is beyond me. Weenies are morons.

Perception and reality are two very different things. They are still floating high after their blizzard. Why you'd get bent out of shape is beyond me. Weenies are morons.

yes but it disapoints me and scares me that so many can argue against facts supported by evidence and data with "gut feelings" and "I just plain know".

I dont even bother interacting with them anymore. They think anything south of 40 is the deep south and we dont see any significant winter weather. I got into a disagreement with one of them a couple years ago. When I provided proof with links that my area averages 25% more snow then that area they told me my data was flawed. Not even worth my time to enter that weenie pissing contest.

I dont even bother interacting with them anymore. They think anything south of 40 is the deep south and we dont see any significant winter weather. I got into a disagreement with one of them a couple years ago. When I provided proof with links that my area averages 25% more snow then that area they told me my data was flawed. Not even worth my time to enter that weenie pissing contest.

yea they are doing the same to me, when I present a fact they do not like, they just say its not accurate.

You know its funny, Roanoke is the same distance SW of DC as we are from NYC, yet I do not think anyone here acts like Roanoke is tropical and should never get snow. Furthermore, I do not think we act like its some injustice of nature when they get snow and we do not. Just weird the way they react towards this subject. THis weird idea that anything south of them should never get more snow.

yea they are doing the same to me, when I present a fact they do not like, they just say its not accurate.

You know its funny, Roanoke is the same distance SW of DC as we are from NYC, yet I do not think anyone here acts like Roanoke is tropical and should never get snow. Furthermore, I do not think we act like its some injustice of nature when they get snow and we do not. Just weird the way they react towards this subject. THis weird idea that anything south of them should never get more snow.

Well they did just get a HECS while DC whiffed...so they probably feel the difference is enormous right now.

I am fighting the good fight. I am a debate coach so I cant let a good fight go.

:D keep it up. NYers acting like they live in the subarctic used to really piss me off... I've lived in Baltimore and Manhattan and the snowfall difference seemed negligible at best....

Difference 22%

The issue is that NYC has many arrogant weenies who think very highly of their climo and feel better when they put down others, like us.

That's not to say that we don't have problems............there are some in our area who treat the Richmond and NC folks the same way.

The issue is that NYC has many arrogant weenies who think very highly of their climo and feel better when they put down others, like us.

That's not to say that we don't have problems............there are some in our area who treat the Richmond and NC folks the same way.

im always wishing for RIC to get rain if it puts me in convective banding.

Also, I am amazed to see how insulted and humiliated many NYC weenies were at the fact that Central Park's 30 year average was 22". A few called the 1990s a "horrible decade for snow".

I average 40 inches here but I am not including that in the DC climo discussion so lets not get carried away here.

Slightly off topic, but can you post the numbers to prove that either Westminster or Manchester average 40 inches, including the seasonal snowfall totals for at least the past 30 winters?

I have a hard time believing that anyone in MD east of the Blue ridge gets more than about 32" or so.

Slightly off topic, but can you post the numbers to prove that either Westminster or Manchester average 40 inches, including the seasonal snowfall totals for at least the past 30 winters?

I have a hard time believing that anyone in MD east of the Blue ridge gets more than about 32" or so.

He posted an explanation after I asked the same thing...he actually said the avg was probably closer to 38" than 40"...there is coop near that averages like 36" I think and he's higher in elevation than them.

There's def areas though that avg over 32" in the north/central hills there.

http://www.weatherwarrior.net/images/md-snow-avg.gif

this is for the old avgs now but prob still pretty good

post-1615-0-70814000-1294199741.gif

They are as cocky as SNE with a MA climate. Very annoying.

There are some terrible posters that can bring down the discussion there. There's bad posters in every region, but you guys (and most other areas) do a better job at policing themselves.

There are some terrible posters that can bring down the discussion there. There's bad posters in every region, but you guys (and most other areas) do a better job at policing themselves.

Riddle me this, Batman. Is the climo line between NYC and say Worcester as stark as it seems? I would think NYC is much closer to PHL/BWI in terms of climo than ORH or even BOS.

Sort of like RIC and BWI.

Riddle me this, Batman. Is the climo line between NYC and say Worcester as stark as it seems? I would think NYC is much closer to PHL/BWI in terms of climo than ORH or even BOS.

Sort of like RIC and BWI.

NYC isn't close to ORH...its 27" vs 69" average.

Comparing to BOS, its 43" vs 27"...compared to about 20" for DC metro and maybe 21-22" for BWI area. They are definitely closer to BWI/DC in terms of avg snowfall than to BOS metro.

I will give them that IAD is not at all comparable to those particular NY airports. It would be similar to including an airport somewhere like Morris County, NJ or Upper Westchester County, NY. Just off the top of my head you're approaching 40" on average in some locations there. The NY area airports listed are all quite urban. Neither BWI nor IAD is an urban airport. It's not really a fair comparison.

I do believe however, as someone who lived in the area for almost 20 years, that many of the urban NYC area residents are living through a period that will never be repeated in most of their lifetimes. Perhaps it's biased them somewhat with respect to their real climo.

I will give them that IAD is not at all comparable to those particular NY airports. It would be similar to including an airport somewhere like Morris County, NJ or Upper Westchester County, NY. Just off the top of my head you're approaching 40" on average in some locations there. The NY area airports listed are all quite urban. Neither BWI nor IAD is an urban airport. It's not really a fair comparison.

I do believe however, as someone who lived in the area for almost 20 years, that many of the urban NYC area residents are living through a period that will never be repeated in most of their lifetimes.

I think BWI is pretty urban, since it's right outside Baltimore.

I think BWI is pretty urban, since it's right outside Baltimore.

It's more suburban IMO, although it does sit to the south of the city which is a disadvantage similar to JFK. My other problem with the comparison is that the three NYC stations are much closer to each other and represent a less diverse (centrally located) range of possible snowfall totals than the more widely spaced DC stations.

Just to add based on that old DC area map, I'd say the difference is more like 33%+ on average, although where I grew up in NJ may be even more than 33% compared to comparable areas in the DC metro.

It's more suburban IMO, although it does sit to the south of the city which is a disadvantage similar to JFK. My other problem with the comparison is that the three NYC stations are much closer to each other and represent a less diverse (centrally located) range of possible snowfall totals than the more widely spaced DC stations.

Just to add based on that old DC area map, I'd say the difference is more like 33%+ on average, although where I grew up in NJ may be even more than 33% compared to comparable areas in the DC metro.

I would say a majority of the DC metro population has averages closer to IAD than DCA so IAD is a fine station to use in this case. Central Park is the highest station in the immediate NYC metro region which is unusual for east coast cities. DCA/PHL/BOS airports are all pretty much the worst spots in each place for snow.

I would say a majority of the DC metro population has averages closer to IAD than DCA so IAD is a fine station to use in this case. Central Park is the highest station in the immediate NYC metro region which is unusual for east coast cities. DCA/PHL/BOS airports are all pretty much the worst spots in each place for snow.

Maybe thats the way it should be. The worst reporting stations all being used. The inland location of DC helps some with snow totals. NY being directly on the water is a disadvantage somewhat for them. IAD is in another league as its west and has some elevation. My backyard is even further NW and historically has been a great place if you love snow. Although, other than last year, the past ten years have basically been horrible.

Archived