joxey
Donsutherland

Analog96

By GIGI, (rainshadow)

OVERALL IT REMAINS AN ATYPICAL OR THROW BACK NINA WINTERS FROM THE

EARLY 20TH CENTURY ACROSS OUR CWA. MR DON SUTHERLAND`S RESEARCH

INDICATES THAT THROUGH TODAY THE ARCTIC OSCILLATION (THE NORTH

ATLANTIC OSCILLATION IS PRETTY CLOSELY TIED TO IT) WILL SET A

BLOCKING (NEGATIVE) DECEMBER RECORD FOR ANY NINA WINTER SINCE 1950.

WITH BLOCKING WEATHER PATTERNS TOWARD THE POLE, THE COLD AIR IS

FORCED SOUTHWARD. THIS HAS PRETTY MUCH MADE THE TYPICAL LA NINA

CLIMATOLOGY OF RECENT NINA WINTERS DEAD IN THE WATER. THIS DECEMBER

FOR PHILADELPHIA WILL BE THE COLDEST DECEMBER SINCE 2000 AND THE

COLDEST MODERATE OR STRONG LA NINA SINCE 1955.

don sutherland is sort of the best kept secret on these boards.

he's always a gentleman....

his posts are always very informative, well-conceived and carry a lot weight.

whenever i look at the board and see don sutherland was the last person to post in a thread, that's usually exactly where i go first.

He's conservative with his snow forecasts, for better or worse. if Donsutherland is going for a big hit, you can generally take it to the bank.

He's conservative with his snow forecasts, for better or worse. if Donsutherland is going for a big hit, you can generally take it to the bank.

exactly right. that's why when he's optimistic about an event it carries weight in my mind.

that combined with the fact that he doesn't post a lot, makes he's posts all the more of interest.

exactly right. that's why when he's optimistic about an event it carries weight in mind.

that combined with the fact that he doesn't post a lot, makes he's posts all the more of interest.

They had a snowfall forecasting contest for NE cities over at SV the last couple of winters, don't see it this winter, but I think Don either won the seasonal contest outright or he was always near the top.

Guest Patrick

+100

When I was a young whippersnapper, I used to lurk on the aol weather boards, and see links to Don's work and thoughts...later on when I was 'all growed up,' I learned so much from him, PT, and TQ, that they just don't teach you in college.

Specifically regarding Don, his respect for differing opinions and intellectual powerhouse tidbits set him apart from all the rest. And to the poster above, yes, Don always wins or places near the top of the snowfall contest rankings, both for individual storm as well as seasonal forecasts. Glad to see him credited by the fine folks at the NWS.

whenever i look at the board and see don sutherland was the last person to post in a thread, that's usually exactly where i go first.

I'm right there with you. Whenever I see a "don" thread/post, thats usually the first thing I read when I get on the board. I just met another board member, and we were talking about "respected posters", and after mentioning a few well known posters I said "don sutherland" and we both just said "the best" :thumbsup:

I feel honored that he actually PM'ed me once and asked to use one of my pics from the 2/10 blizzard. Just looking over his photo archive again last night, awesome!

Whenever I see his name, it just reminds me of this guy

most-interesting-man-in-the-world.jpg

:pimp:

By GIGI, (rainshadow)

OVERALL IT REMAINS AN ATYPICAL OR THROW BACK NINA WINTERS FROM THE

EARLY 20TH CENTURY ACROSS OUR CWA. MR DON SUTHERLAND`S RESEARCH

INDICATES THAT THROUGH TODAY THE ARCTIC OSCILLATION (THE NORTH

ATLANTIC OSCILLATION IS PRETTY CLOSELY TIED TO IT) WILL SET A

BLOCKING (NEGATIVE) DECEMBER RECORD FOR ANY NINA WINTER SINCE 1950.

WITH BLOCKING WEATHER PATTERNS TOWARD THE POLE, THE COLD AIR IS

FORCED SOUTHWARD. THIS HAS PRETTY MUCH MADE THE TYPICAL LA NINA

CLIMATOLOGY OF RECENT NINA WINTERS DEAD IN THE WATER. THIS DECEMBER

FOR PHILADELPHIA WILL BE THE COLDEST DECEMBER SINCE 2000 AND THE

COLDEST MODERATE OR STRONG LA NINA SINCE 1955.

Nicely done Tony, and I think it is great to have some explanation of the big snows given that this is a Nina winter and putting out there the reason for the massive coastal storm that occurred. Not so much back in Rochester, NY while I was there for Christmas as only a whopping half an inch of new snow fell there, but yet a foot or so of snow fell here. All well. Interesting drive southward as the snow depth increased by a ton by the time I got to southern NJ. ;)

I totally agree.

Archived