joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island/Suffolk County

Bobby

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's better if it stays offshore. However, storm has not produced the amount of precip I was expecting up to this point in time, at least where I am. 20" seems pretty much out of reach and a goal of 10" - 15" appears more realistic, unless we can get under some heavy bands, which have eluded my area all day...

Same situation out here, although right now we're enjoying the best accumulating snow we've had since around 1:30. Maybe the intense bands will be pulled east as the storm pulls away overnight.

The wind is really whipping now..i wonder if the frozen ground helps keep some trees from uprooting ?

It doesn't keep them from cracking. We have limbs down from trees here and the power has gone out briefly several times. I may have to ride this one out in the dark soon. And I don't have any wireless internet. Getting tired of restarting the PC. May have to switch to my work laptop for the battery backup, but I don't like surfing on that machine.

It doesn't keep them from cracking. We have limbs down from trees here and the power has gone out briefly several times. I may have to ride this one out in the dark soon. And I don't have any wireless internet. Getting tired of restarting the PC. May have to switch to my work laptop for the battery backup, but I don't like surfing on that machine.

Hopefully it stays on, not a good night to be without power. No tree damage incidents out here that Im aware of yet, but i wouldn't be surprised. Good thing it has become such a powdery snow. Temps really dropped this evening...

Maybe a few more inches for Suffolk, but I'm thinking that band to the west never pivots through. It just rots in place. Big dry slot between LI and eastern NE was modeled (loosely) on the NAM. Hopefully it doesn't rotate over the island and end this thing prematurely. Looks like NYC and BOS are both getting rocked, but not so much in between.

Maybe a few more inches for Suffolk, but I'm thinking that band to the west never pivots through. It just rots in place. Big dry slot between LI and eastern NE was modeled (loosely) on the NAM. Hopefully it doesn't rotate over the island and end this thing prematurely. Looks like NYC and BOS are both getting rocked, but not so much in between.

Watch the banding south of Nassau County. That could pivot into Long Island overnight. RUC and NAM have both signaled this.

Watch the banding south of Nassau County. That could pivot into Long Island overnight. RUC and NAM have both signaled this.

Finally looks like a decent band with some staying power may be organizing right over us most of Suffolk. This might be the best part of the storm for us coming. I guess I'll stay up a little longer.

Ed

so i went out about 20 mins ago and i only measured an average of about 8-8.5".. there were some drifts of as high as 2 ft and some spots with snow amounts of only 5"... i'm thinking we'll be barely above the 1 foot mark although this band is currently bringing probably the heaviest snows so far today so have to wait and see...

so i went out about 20 mins ago and i only measured an average of about 8-8.5".. there were some drifts of as high as 2 ft and some spots with snow amounts of only 5"... i'm thinking we'll be barely above the 1 foot mark although this band is currently bringing probably the heaviest snows so far today so have to wait and see...

My best estimate from midnight was 8.5". I spent some time outside, but the best of that band mostly teased us in Smithtown. We are doing better now with the stuff rotating down off of the Sound..

My best estimate from midnight was 8.5". I spent some time outside, but the best of that band mostly teased us in Smithtown. We are doing better now with the stuff rotating down off of the Sound..

I bet youll find some way to get at least a foot out of this, Ed.

No reason to be sorry, Alex. A snowstorm with 11.0 inches of snow and amazing winds on a late December day is a sight to behold and was a very enjoyable experience. As far as the amount (relative to everyone else) we both know that those localized deformation bands have a mind of their own as to where to set up and are highly variable from storm to storm.

Look at the analogs Don posted, William, hope is there for another KU event this winter as strong blocking returns in a week or 10 days!

Archived