joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island/Suffolk County

Bobby

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what do you think about the 12.5" i got, is it too high?? (it was included in the PNS :thumbsup:).... i was actually surprised to see KISP reporting 14"; i was satisfied with their 13 inch report in the morning...:lol:

i didn't really notice any sleet here although it was very windy all throughout so couldn't really distinguish...

:pepsi:

I can't tell if you are high or low because your backyard is not my backyard. You are only about an inch and a half less than ISP. For reasonable snowfall reports, its really tough to gage.

Its a lot easier to dismiss reports like when Orient reports three times as much snow as anyone else in a thousand mile radius. They "only" reported 10" this time and I suspect the real total is a few inches less than that based on surrounding obs...in other words business as usual for the Orient report.

I'm going to do a map based on the PNS when I get time later today. No editing, just straight numbers as reported. I've eyeballed it already and the numbers are all over the place. It is even possible that some of the numbers are low, rather than high but that isn't too likely as the type of people that send in snowfall totals tend to be snow lovers. It would be nice to compare that map to a full sotrm radar loop.

I can't tell if you are high or low because your backyard is not my backyard. You are only about an inch and a half less than ISP. For reasonable snowfall reports, its really tough to gage.

Its a lot easier to dismiss reports like when Orient reports three times as much snow as anyone else in a thousand mile radius. They "only" reported 10" this time and I suspect the real total is a few inches less than that based on surrounding obs...in other words business as usual for the Orient report.

I'm going to do a map based on the PNS when I get time later today. No editing, just straight numbers as reported. I've eyeballed it already and the numbers are all over the place. It is even possible that some of the numbers are low, rather than high but that isn't too likely as the type of people that send in snowfall totals tend to be snow lovers. It would be nice to compare that map to a full sotrm radar loop.

Hey Ed, do you have the link to Upton's last PNS on the storm? Thanks!

BTW I think that knucklehead from Orient used to be on Eastern-- I dont think he made it here though. I remember him getting upset that we were questioning his amounts and saying he has a professional weather station (implying that somehow that makes HIM a professional!) which he later admitted his mom bought for him :thumbsup:

I was half kidding about the Upton thing, but they do always seem to have among the highest amounts lol.

Sometimes the radar was strange in that it wasn't snowing very hard here despite being under green/dark green, and it sometimes snowed very hard despite being in blue. And it wasn't just wind either. But definitely I would think the highest totals on Long Island are in western Nassau.

BTW I think that knucklehead from Orient used to be on Eastern-- I dont think he made it here though. I remember him getting upset that we were questioning his amounts and saying he has a professional weather station (implying that somehow that makes HIM a professional!) which he later admitted his mom bought for him :thumbsup:

I was half kidding about the Upton thing, but they do always seem to have among the highest amounts lol.

They really do, I thought that to myself the other day when I went through the public info list....I have to think its legit, having been to that office before they really have optimal measuring conditions there as there are a ton of trees nearby which likely shelter the area from as much drifting and there really are no structures to have any significant roof blow off.

I noticed that the radar looked very healthy for southern Nassau west of the Wantagh. That was a curious little band that persisted there.

Yeah, it did. Overnight, it snowed at ~1" per hour...it was very persistent. It wasn't like what NJ had, but it was very persistent and consistent. We were kind of "behind", with about a foot or so at midnight, but from midnight to 7am, we picked up almost another 7"

The totals above 20 or 21" in Nassau are likely suspect given the drifting and blowing snow from trees/roofs. Given the radar, I doubt anyone in the county got over that amount, and I doubt anyone in Suffolk got over 16" given the radar appearance. We had a better storm overall than Suffolk did, but western NYC and NJ had much better banding set up over them for longer. The areas that seemed to get hit hardest based on radar seemed to actually be over SW Nassau. And I will definitely attest to the extreme snowfall rates and wind between 2:30 and 5:30am here. A spotter measured 16" here at 2:30am (and this spotter usually measures conservatively). Based on the snow after that, we might have made it to 20". It was very hard for me to measure accurately but that was my guess as well.

Yeah, I'm almost positive that no one got above 21" in Long Island, especially in eastern Nassau. The bullseye appeared to be in western Nassau--the further south and west you were in Nassau, the better you did.

Yeah, I'm almost positive that no one got above 21" in Long Island, especially in eastern Nassau. The bullseye appeared to be in western Nassau--the further south and west you were in Nassau, the better you did.

There was a period during the evening when SW Nassau and E Queens were in some sinking air due to the strong band to the west and SE Nassau/SW Suffolk seemed to be under higher reflectivities but I'm not sure it was enough to really cause them to see much higher amounts. The high amounts in Brooklyn were a bit confusing to me as they generally mised the mega band but I think they may have been on the edge of the secondary heavy band which affected coastal Monmouth.

There was a period during the evening when SW Nassau and E Queens were in some sinking air due to the strong band to the west and SE Nassau/SW Suffolk seemed to be under higher reflectivities but I'm not sure it was enough to really cause them to see much higher amounts. The high amounts in Brooklyn were a bit confusing to me as they generally mised the mega band but I think they may have been on the edge of the secondary heavy band which affected coastal Monmouth.

I think so too, because Staten Island also got close to 30 inches.

SW Nassau really did seem to have the highest amounts on Long Island, as there are multiple reports of 20-24 inches.

SG, did you see my post where I was wondering if there is a reason why heavy snow bands set up in certain areas? I know there have been a few storms where JFK jackpotted over NYC (Feb 1961, Feb 1969, Feb 1983, Feb 2003) and others where the reverse was true, so I always put it down to random luck.

Natural bare patches appearing here now, but in general still a blanket of 3-4". Assuming tomorrow features similar temps but with more cloud cover we may be left with a few patches of snowcover in the wooded areas, and certainly the piles will survive. Hopefully the Thurs-Fri event pans out for at least a few inches and the cold behind that system brings in a wintry time period.

Archived