• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Island/Suffolk County

Bobby

According to the info Ive been gathering, Miller Place is the snowiest (and overall coldest) place on Long Island-- correct me if Im wrong, please. What's your annual snowfall average?

Alex, I'll do some homework on that but I lived in Miller Place just past 3 years (also in 1970s incl Feb 78) and lived in Shoreham , which is 3 miles directly north of Upton , most of the other years. So either way I've been in a sweet spot, at least since 2001. Based upon observation here though from folks like you and William and anecdotal evidence from others I know the Miller Place-Mt Sinai area form an axis of the heaviest snows.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Port Jefferson Village by water. Already nice coating, and here exposed to sound a nice stiff sideways snow from NNE underway. We must be thankful this storm offers us a few hours of daylight to see it start. Last Dec 19, the snow evaporation from low dews took so long until well after dark for us to get any daylight visible storm effects. I'm praying we get some decent intensity before 4pm so we can get some good videos and pics

Alex, I'll do some homework on that but I lived in Miller Place just past 3 years (also in 1970s incl Feb 78) and lived in Shoreham , which is 3 miles directly north of Upton , most of the other years. So either way I've been in a sweet spot, at least since 2001. Based upon observation here though from folks like you and William and anecdotal evidence from others I know the Miller Place-Mt Sinai area form an axis of the heaviest snows.

Thanks! Shoreham is part of that axis too! I used Ed's site for some of my info and superimposed his snowfall maps over a map of Long Island and came up with Mt Sinai to Miller Place to Shoreham. Once you get out by Wading River, the averages slowly start dropping off.

Also note that this region also is due south of New Haven (approximately) and when winds blow from a northerly direction they blow over the largest cross section of Long Island Sound before hitting that region-- thus they also benefit the most from sound effect and sound enhanced snow.

I've found that region to be really good for radiational cooling also, once you get a few miles from the Sound-- second only to Westhampton Beach.

Near term /until noon today/...

first of several near term mesoscale updates for today.

First...seeing some spits of mainly light snow across eastern

Long Island and coastal southeast CT...driven in part by low level

convergence noted near Montauk Point where a coastal front may be

developing. How far west that coastal front drives tonight as the

intense low makes its closest approach to Long Island still a big

question...as the 12z NAM...while now very close to the 06z

GFS/00z European model (ecmwf) low track...hangs tougher with colder air...with

only brief mixing indicated near Montauk as maximum bl wet bulb temperatures

warm briefly above +1c tonight. Wet bulb temperature just to the east at

Block Island already warm enough for rain...so NAM too cold

unless strong northerly flow on the cold side later today keeps

the coastal front in place.

Other big issue concerns exactly where heaviest snow will fall

later today into tonight...which may be coming more into focus.

The 12z NAM showed its strongest 700 mb-8 layer frontogenesis

displaced about 30 miles northwest of the strongest radar returns off

Delaware-Maryland-Virginia at this time...no surprise there as this often happens with

intense coastal storms. Taking the NAM otherwise as a perfect forecast

and following evolution of its frontogenetic forcing indicates

that the heaviest snow will occur over south central CT into

western Suffolk and Nassau counties on Long Island..possibly a

little farther west into southwest CT and NYC if you look at 700 mb

frontogenesis only. May have to increase maximum totals in those areas

to near 20 inches...maybe more...as that banding looks to set up

there toward evening and remain for a good chunk of the night.

I applaud that prognosis for my western LI friends as I really just cant be more grateful for the past decade overall in my areas of central-eastern long island have been overall hot spots for snow accums. We have a good head start out east here now but I know that ultimately doesn't matter. If Jimminy Cricket could give me a wish upon a star now would be for temps another 5F colder...at least

How many times has Long Island seen a foot or more of snow in the past decade?

December 2000

February 2003

December 2003

December 2005

February 2006

December 2009

February 2010

February 2010

and now December 2010.

That's 9 major snowstorms in 10 years. That's incredible.

Art if some areas see the possible magic 24" mark does it count twice :)

It is amazing bc I grew up mainly in 80s to early 90s( well never really grew up) BUT in 80s I believe I rarely had school days off. ( of course DTs weekend rule wasn't well known) since turn if century it's been a bonanza

Steady light snow has been falling for a few hours now in Farmingville. 29F

I'm really looking forward to the main event!! Everyone stay safeSnowman.gifSnowman.gif

It is amazing bc I grew up mainly in 80s to early 90s( well never really grew up) BUT in 80s I believe I rarely had school days off. ( of course DTs weekend rule wasn't well known) since turn if century it's been a bonanza

No snow days and some of the worst winters ever back in the 80s and early 90s! Feb 83 happened late on a Friday so that was just a delayed closing. We didnt even have a 10 inch storm between Feb 1983 and Mar 1993-- and that changed to heavy rain so really our first really big storm after Feb 83 was like Jan 96, which will still be my favorite-- sort of like winning the world series after 10 years plus of futility is the one most treasured, no matter how many you win after that.

Also remember March 2001 (up to 16" in Suffolk), January 2004 (up to 14"), January 2005 (up to 20") , and March 2009 (up to 16"). I don't think the December 2005 one on your list is correct though...

Dang John...your typing is getting faster...I was about to say the same:

Moderate snow here now...viz down to around a half mile. It looks like a snowstorm is brewing. Haven't been out...but it looks like we are still short of an inch.

Damn shame about the game in Philly. Wimps.

December 2000

February 2003

December 2003

December 2005

February 2006

December 2009

February 2010

February 2010

and now December 2010.

It really has been an amazing decade. I tried explaining same to my 10 year old today. What i difference from when i grew up in the 80;s...

December 2000

February 2003

December 2003

December 2005

February 2006

December 2009

February 2010

February 2010

and now December 2010.

December 2000, February 2003 (PD2), December 2003, January 2004, January 2005, February 2006, December 2009, February 2010 (1), February 2010 (2), December 2010

Archived