Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,542
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    happyweather
    Newest Member
    happyweather
    Joined

April 8, 2024 Eclipse


Recommended Posts

0z models are faster with the wave of clouds and light rain. Good news for people like me who want to go to Ohio, since there’s a better chance there will be clearer skies by the time totality happens. Bad news for anyone planning to go to New York unless you stay near I-87.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, LVblizzard said:

0z models are faster with the wave of clouds and light rain. Good news for people like me who want to go to Ohio, since there’s a better chance there will be clearer skies by the time totality happens. Bad news for anyone planning to go to New York unless you stay near I-87.

we already got our big surprise with the earthquake today!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I'm afraid it's largely going to be a shitshow. There will be a few places that don't have any problems, but this is par for the course for April climo. The best one was always probably going to be Aug '17, though.

The areas that *look* like the best (near STL/Carbondale) probably won't be because of thicker jet cirrus moving in at the last minute (that isn't being well forecast) and the little room you get to maneuver in IN/OH inside the dry slot will be crowded as fuck because everywhere else isn't great. Get too far east in OH and you're dealing with stratocu. Try to avoid it altogether and head to ME and you're running into a massive fresh (but melting) snowpack and less than stellar road network, and crowded too as most of the cities down south empty out to head there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I would say that's probably wrong unless you head to Plattsburgh it's probably not going to be good at Syracuse (maybe Watertown will be better.)

Yeah, that’s outdated now. NAM is no longer optimistic about NY. Need that front to slow down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

supposedly the canadian models are the best for cloud coverage, and i think the HRDPS is the highest resolution canadian model now that we’re within its range. it looks pretty good for northern NY/VT, and you might be able to find some holes in the clouds in western and central NY: https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?rh=2024040712&fh=32&dpdt=&mc=&r=us_ne&p=cloudcover&m=hrdps

i don’t mind some high clouds, but im trying to avoid mid and low clouds like the plague

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, wiivile said:

supposedly the canadian models are the best for cloud coverage, and i think the HRDPS is the highest resolution canadian model now that we’re within its range. it looks pretty good for northern NY/VT, and you might be able to find some holes in the clouds in western and central NY: https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?rh=2024040712&fh=32&dpdt=&mc=&r=us_ne&p=cloudcover&m=hrdps

i don’t mind some high clouds, but im trying to avoid mid and low clouds like the plague

If in NY your best bet is Lake Placid.  I wouldn't depend on holes in the clouds for Syracuse or points west of there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, wiivile said:

supposedly the canadian models are the best for cloud coverage, and i think the HRDPS is the highest resolution canadian model now that we’re within its range. it looks pretty good for northern NY/VT, and you might be able to find some holes in the clouds in western and central NY: https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?rh=2024040712&fh=32&dpdt=&mc=&r=us_ne&p=cloudcover&m=hrdps

i don’t mind some high clouds, but im trying to avoid mid and low clouds like the plague

https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/?m=cmceens&p=cloudcover_labeled&r=us_state_ny

 

Try to get to under 40% cloud coverage.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ended up driving north toward Glendale AK from Dallas the day of the eclipse. Was a stressful ride because we were in clouds most of the trip but it then cleared up and we settled on the side of the road surrounded by hills, all by myself with my daughter throughout it. Was unforgettable, amazing, hard to describe in words what I witnessed. I might have even burst into tears when I took off the glasses to see totality for the first time. 

Anyways, despite the cloudiness it seemed that the weather worked out for most of the big cities in totality. Even my aunt in Austin saw it, and they were predicted to be largely in heavy low cloud cover. What an experience - considering chasing the next one in Spain.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched from Black Rock, Arkansas with my usual storm chasing partner. Totality duration 3:58. C2 1:54:31, C3 1:58:29 Central Time.

Black Rock is northwest of LIT. We stationed east side of the centerline in an effort to get back to MEM ahead of traffic. LOL it worked, for the first 10 minutes! He knows the back ways through the Delta into MEM so it's all good, no traffic horror story. @eyewall Arkansas cleared out nicely. 

Congrats @Ridingtime did you take non-Interstates? I hope so, because the trucks ORD to DFW are horrendous. We are considering Spain; we have friends there, tour around days before, grand finale eclipse. Totality is 45 minutes before sunset, so things have to go right. It's also short 1:30 or so, but that can be an advantage. Punt the equipment, and just enjoy it all naked eye.

My detailed eclipse account is in Lakes / Ohio Valley Region. We'd been discussing it for a few days. Thread got off-track on restaurants, but my post is easy to find because it's long on page 4. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

I watched from Black Rock, Arkansas with my usual storm chasing partner. Totality duration 3:58. C2 1:54:31, C3 1:58:29 Central Time.

Black Rock is northwest of LIT. We stationed east side of the centerline in an effort to get back to MEM ahead of traffic. LOL it worked, for the first 10 minutes! He knows the back ways through the Delta into MEM so it's all good, no traffic horror story. @eyewall Arkansas cleared out nicely. 

Congrats @Ridingtime did you take non-Interstates? I hope so, because the trucks ORD to DFW are horrendous. We are considering Spain; we have friends there, tour around days before, grand finale eclipse. Totality is 45 minutes before sunset, so things have to go right. It's also short 1:30 or so, but that can be an advantage. Punt the equipment, and just enjoy it all naked eye.

My detailed eclipse account is in Lakes / Ohio Valley Region. We'd been discussing it for a few days. Thread got off-track on restaurants, but my post is easy to find because it's long on page 4. 

It sure did! We had perfect viewing conditions!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2024 at 8:47 PM, LibertyBell said:

I'm curious what causes them and why they are only visible just before and just after totality.

I heard them compared to sun shining on a swimming pool.

 

Most think it is shadows generated by atmospheric turbulence because the light is much more diffuse at that point.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And if you aren't sick of these yet, here is another composite. I did edit some totality shots to approximate the diamond ring phases as I had the filter on for those to protect my scope's optics:

GLTgT4cW4AArerU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...