• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024 mid/ long range

Here was the SOI back into Dec before our cold shot and the SOI today,who know if it turns out as before,surely shouldnt be as cold if it does turn cold

5 Feb 2024 1007.06 1009.90 -36.41 -0.02 -3.85
4 Feb 2024 1008.30 1009.40 -28.05 0.94 -3.66
3 Feb 2024 1007.67 1007.55 -22.19 1.65 -3.51
2 Feb 2024 1006.85 1008.15 -29.01 2.20 -3.36
1 Feb 2024 1007.27 1008.65 -29.40 3.19 -3.02

December-2023-Mid-Long-Term-Pattern-Discussion-Let-it-Snow-Page-19-Tennessee-Valley-American-Weather.png

• Like 1

The 12z GEPS (ensemble) is showing multiple days with highs near or just below freezing....Those are probably a bit too cold, but that just shows the potential for where this pattern could go.  So far, still on schedule for cold arriving on Feb13-14th depending on where you live in the forum.  

• Like 6

From the Mammoth area. At some point when I see atmospheric river forecast well in advance, gonna have to rent a chalet up there and make the trip. They got 3+ feet yesterday, not sure how much more last night. I was watching a youtube video filmed yesterday at just over 9000 feet and the guy said it was snowing 4 inches per hour. 

339 AM PST Mon Feb 5 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST TUESDAY
ABOVE 5000 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected above 5000 feet. Additional snow
  accumulations of 3 to 5 feet. Additional snow accumulations as
  high as 7 feet are possible at elevations above 8,000 feet.
  Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...The Sierra Nevada above 5000 feet.

* WHEN...Valid through 4 AM PST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible.
  Widespread blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.
  Very strong winds could cause extensive tree damage.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, John1122 said:

From the Mammoth area. At some point when I see atmospheric river forecast well in advance, gonna have to rent a chalet up there and make the trip. They got 3+ feet yesterday, not sure how much more last night.

Great, now you've added yet another thing to my "one day when I'm retired" day dream bucket list. I've already got trips in there for the Keweenaw Peninsula and the Tug Hill Plateau. I'm going to have to keep working longer to afford all these trips. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Overnight ensemble runs are cold for the aforementioned timeframe.  The GFS (pasts two runs) is picking up on a stormy time frame around the 20th.  As many of noted, the best winter storms are often picked out at range.  It could go poof, but worth watching.
Weather Channel app is picking up on something in that time frame for our area with snow, rain, and freezing rain around the 19th. Posted earlier but had a typo fat fingering the date. Hopefully, the southern valley near Georgia border can actually get some white on the ground.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John1122 said:

From the Mammoth area. At some point when I see atmospheric river forecast well in advance, gonna have to rent a chalet up there and make the trip. They got 3+ feet yesterday, not sure how much more last night. I was watching a youtube video filmed yesterday at just over 9000 feet and the guy said it was snowing 4 inches per hour. 

339 AM PST Mon Feb 5 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST TUESDAY
ABOVE 5000 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected above 5000 feet. Additional snow
  accumulations of 3 to 5 feet. Additional snow accumulations as
  high as 7 feet are possible at elevations above 8,000 feet.
  Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...The Sierra Nevada above 5000 feet.

* WHEN...Valid through 4 AM PST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible.
  Widespread blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.
  Very strong winds could cause extensive tree damage.

Just come up to Buffalo for a lake effect storm. Shorter drive and you dont have to chase in the rural areas/mountains. You can stay in a big town.  We just got this a few weeks ago. Last winter we had 2 storms bigger and worse than this one. The one in January we recorded snowfall rates of over 5" per hour. Its all on my YouTube channel in my signature if you want to check it out. In the last 13 months I had a 80" storm in 3 days, a 53" storm with 70 MPH winds, and a 76" storm over 5 days.

56002FB1-6697-4434-909C-A5C230F5AA05.thumb.jpg.f6bef95e8117b486163a196436857155.jpg

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just come up to Buffalo for a lake effect storm. Shorter drive and you dont have to chase in the rural areas/mountains. You can stay in a big town.  We just got this a few weeks ago. Last winter we had 2 storms bigger and worse than this one. The one in January we recorded snowfall rates of over 5" per hour. Its all on my YouTube channel in my signature if you want to check it out. In the last 13 months I had a 80" storm in 3 days, a 53" storm with 70 MPH winds, and a 76" storm over 5 days.

56002FB1-6697-4434-909C-A5C230F5AA05.thumb.jpg.f6bef95e8117b486163a196436857155.jpg

That is awesome!  I have always wanted to see lake effect snow.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I've been fortunate enough to be in heavy lake effect before but not like that. How widespread is it there? I've always heard a 10 mile wide path may get 3 or 4 feet but outside that it might just be a few inches. 

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I've been fortunate enough to be in heavy lake effect before but not like that. How widespread is it there? I've always heard a 10 mile wide path may get 3 or 4 feet but outside that it might just be a few inches. 

The 2 from last year. 

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2022-2023&event=A

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John1122 said:

It’s like any event though. You need to be above 7-8k feet to get the goods out west. The 5-6’ stuff is only across the very highest elevations. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It’s like any event though. You need to be above 7-8k feet to get the goods out west. The 5-6’ stuff is only across the very highest elevations. 

That's why if I went west I'd to to Mammoth. The town is at 8,000 feet with tons of housing at 9-10k around the resort. They seem extremely efficient at clearing roads too. The fellow who does one of the channels I watch lives at about 9100 in what looks basically like a subdivision. Last year snow depth was over his 2nd story back deck, which is 26 feet in the air.  

I honestly thought about moving to upstate New York but I get outvoted.  Real estate seems affordable in the Tug Hull plateau. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, John1122 said:

That's why if I went west I'd to to Mammoth. The town is at 8,000 feet with tons of housing at 9-10k around the resort. They seem extremely efficient at clearing roads too. The fellow who does one of the channels I watch lives at about 9100 in what looks basically like a subdivision. Last year snow depth was over his 2nd story back deck, which is 26 feet in the air.  

I honestly thought about moving to upstate New York but I get outvoted.  Real estate seems affordable in the Tug Hull plateau. 

Yeah real estate is cheap in tug, but super remote. I love where I live because it’s a town of 60-70k people, can walk to everything I need and still get slammed. Has the best of both worlds. The snow belt of Lake Erie has spots that average 200”+ per year, tug has spots that average 300”+ per. 

• Like 3

If the MJO didn’t look so squirrelly, I would roll with the Euro Weeklies today and say, “Extended winter is on tap!”  But something feels off with this.   I think it is going to be cold...but duration is sketchy.  I do think a cold time frame from Feb 14 through the first week of March looks good.  After that is what I am not sure about...if the Weeklies are correct, the Groundhog in PA is just a wee a bit off his game.  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

If the MJO didn’t look so squirrelly, I would roll with the Euro Weeklies today and say, “Extended winter is on tap!”  But something feels off with this.   I think it is going to be cold...but duration is sketchy.  I do think a cold time frame from Feb 14 through the first week of March looks good.  After that is what I am not sure about...if the Weeklies are correct, the Groundhog in PA is just a wee a bit off his game.  LOL

Agree . 

On pretty much all ensembles, the feature(and it is striking) the NAO that starts to build.  If that is correct and not an error, that is significant.  I have been hesitant to really jump on that boat as it failed during late January, but that is a prominent feature which would trump all other drivers most likely.  During late winter, that is a "draw four" in Uno.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, weathertree4u2 said:

What is the issue with the GFS retaining all the moisture around the gulf but never really meeting any of the colder air. Is there a reason why?

That's a puzzle really,tbh. Strong HP pressing can do it. I read something somewhere of a recent "upgrade" to the Model. Sometimes those can turn out to be downgrades unfortunately. 

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic